PDA

View Full Version : Work from Home Jobs???

brewmaster15
12-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi all,
Just a curious question here.. Does anyone have direct experience with reputable businesses where you work from home? Theres many scams out there and few real deals but I was wondering if anyone was involved in these?

Also curious how many here work from home for their jobs as well? It seems to be an increasing trend.

Thanks,
AL

DLock3d
12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
This week I'm working from home. The last company I did consulting for I worked from home fulltime. Both the company I work for now and the company I worked for previously are companies many people would know of. The only companies I'll work for are well known companies or companies I personally have known about for some time.

Cambik
12-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I work from home. I have to go into the office at least once a month. I work for a major computer Manufacture. I do technical support for Servers. I love it.

rdiscus
12-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Wish I can work from home, but I have friend who work from home when her company try to save cost, instead renting building, company send everyone home to work ...

ZX10R
12-29-2011, 12:04 PM
My sister works from home her job is property management. From what she explained to me is her company deals with rental propeties apartment, town homes, and so on. When a renter mails in there monthly payment her company takes the money divides it out to electric, water, gas, cable or whatever the untilities are. Then they take there cut of the money then send the remaining balance the the property owner.

Chicago Discus
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I wish I could work from home but unfortunately the work I do keeps me on the streets LOL.......Josie

DLock3d
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
I wish I could work from home but unfortunately the work I do keeps me on the streets LOL.......Josie

You know Josie, there's several ways one could interpret that...

terps
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi all,
Just a curious question here.. Does anyone have direct experience with reputable businesses where you work from home? Theres many scams out there and few real deals but I was wondering if anyone was involved in these?

Also curious how many here work from home for their jobs as well? It seems to be an increasing trend.

Thanks,
AL

Blogging is probably the biggest at home job. Find a topic you like and are passionate about and start writing. I think it's hard to make lots of money blogging. Only a few succeed. The key is getting traffic. I think it's easier to make small websites with lots of how to content and make money that way. Solving people's problems and howto sites are the best type of websites to create. You make money with advertisements(adsense, chikita, etc.) Amazon ads or by selling affiliate stuff. Also, many people are trying to make extra income with youtube. Start your own online TV channel on a subject you know a lot about. You can make quite a lot if your channel and videos become very popular.

Here's a great online success story. Lisa makes lots of money with her online sites. She made over $365 dollars in just 1 day with adsense in November. In the month of October she made over $7500.00 with adsense alone.

http://www.2createawebsite.com/other/about.html

Here's her blog: http://blog.2createawebsite.com/ and youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/lisa3876/videos

You can start a youtube TV channel like simply member UaruJoey:

http://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase

Here's a favorite cooking channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/foodwishes

Or a software tutorial channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tutvid#p/u

The key to making money with blogs, websites or youtube is getting lots of traffic. To get traffic you need good content and high placement in the search engines. It takes time and perseverance, but it can be done.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
At home job would be great. Hmm, maybe Josie can make her famous beefheart recipe and start selling and shipping, Lol.

After 25 years at my current job, I could use a job at home. Hmm, maybe Cupcakes? Cookies? My famous homemade pizza? Lots of choices, but so few success stories.

I would not mind being a product tester as I am always discussing new products.

Chicago Discus
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
You know Josie, there's several ways one could interpret that...

Well that's what it feels like sometimes I get dress up, put my tools of the trade on, and search for trouble LOL yea sound right .........Josie

brewmaster15
12-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Well that's what it feels like sometimes I get dress up, put my tools of the trade on, and search for trouble LOL yea sound right .........Josie LOL, Josie...knowing what your Job is I have to say it fits doesn't it?:)

-al

DLock3d
12-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Well that's what it feels like sometimes I get dress up, put my tools of the trade on, and search for trouble LOL yea sound right .........Josie
So what is it exactly that you do?

Chicago Discus
12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
So what is it exactly that you do?
I where alot of hats LOL. Mother,bother,sister,daughter,father,caretaker,pea cemaker,priest,rabbi,counselor and sometimes just a shoulder to cry on...........Josie

Discus-n00b
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
To add to Terps point, if you reach Youtube partner status and are a popular daily vlogger, you can look to make in the six figure range a year....just for making daily videos. Would be the life wouldn't it? lol Problem is finding something to vlog about that people want to watch. I use Adsense for my youtube, definitely can't sustain me but it can add something extra over time. I would love to work from home.

les2011
12-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Here is a link that I found through Clark Howards web site for legit work at home opportunities:
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/employment-military/work-home-guide/nFZH/

I actually will be starting with the company Arise.com, on 1/25 working for AT&T. There is a small investment for your background check & training courses but I've past with flying colors.
A couple of other good job opts. on this link is Liveops.com and Elance.

ericatdallas
12-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I have a friend that is a lawyer and he works from home. He has to show up to the office every now and then. Another friend of mine does his job from home, web developer and web applications developer, but has to show up to meetings every now and then.

I'm a -PAID- full-time student and I have a choice of whether to work from home or not, except for meetings and classes or when I need the peace and quiet away from home... I'm currently at the office :/

Technically Al, don't you have an at home job? You sell FD blackworms.... I'm sure it doesn't keep the lights on. My wife has also tried her hand at sewing clothes (via Etsy) but that is time consuming so she doesn't any more. I think I spent a lot of time working on her online presence or helping her with tech support though...

So you could expand your online business to include other pet supplies. You could also do what Aquaria Central does and sell T-Shirts and ball caps with Simply Discus Logos on them :)

Have you checked out those freelance websites? I can't think of them off the top of my head, but there are a couple of reputable ones where you bid on projects or people bid on your services. You have to compete with people from all over the world though, so unless you have a strong reputation with rare skills, you might be making $4-5 an hour at first until you get established. I thought about doing it for programming or digital design stuff, but the amount of effort for a project (since I'm not 'reputable' yet) would not make it worth it right now.

LizStreithorst
12-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Lots of dog groomers are quite successful working from home. I had an in home shop when I was in Fowl River (south of Moblie AL). I did some dogs, but went so stir crazy I had to get a real job in addition to my home shop. It's still my dream though. What could be better than mendinging fences, shovling horse poo, or painting out buildings during my slow times? Out here, off the beaten path, it will never happen. I feel lucky that my shop is just 12 miles down the road and that I am my own boss.

Organic Farmer
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
hydroponics

dadecountyalan
12-29-2011, 06:26 PM
OrganoGold.

its going great for my dad

LizStreithorst
12-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Exacly what is it you grow, Organic Man? Do you ship?

Discus-n00b
12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Exacly what is it you grow, Organic Man? Do you ship?

Probably not legally through UPS or Fedex. ;);) LOL

Chicago Discus
12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Probably not legally through UPS or Fedex. ;);) LOL

Closing my ears ......Josie

LizStreithorst
12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Nor through USPS, I imagine.

Stag
12-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Al, my wife works from home. She cooks, cleans, shops, takes care of our daughter and does the finances :o OK, maybe this will not work for you :D

I know medical transcriptionists and Technical or customer support for small companies can tend to work from home. Best of luck Al

Organic Farmer
12-29-2011, 07:26 PM
After April I will be legal because Im moving to Maine were people are not so narrow minded .Looking foward to help with easing the pain of cancer patients with out getting locked up for 15 years.Ill be glad to post pictures of my system.right now im doing Tomatoes lettice peas etc,

LizStreithorst
12-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Good for you.

ericatdallas
12-30-2011, 02:52 AM
After April I will be legal because Im moving to Maine were people are not so narrow minded .Looking foward to help with easing the pain of cancer patients with out getting locked up for 15 years.Ill be glad to post pictures of my system.right now im doing Tomatoes lettice peas etc,

It's still illegal federally right?

Btw, any good sites to go to? I frequent Backyard Aquaponics (but they don't seem to care about fish too much). I want to grow lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries in my basement.

YSS
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Love how threads take unexpected turns. I love this thread. Getting some good ideas including moving to Maine. :-)

zimmjeff
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Where in Maine Farmer? I'm in Guilford.

Altum Nut
12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Mamma-Mia,

Once someone finds a good solution...please let me know and I'll send my wife's resume.
This is to the women on Simply...why is it that my wife takes tons of on-line courses, exceeds 90% and the never pursues it and moves to another course.
I can't buy extra discus or build my fishroom because my wife is a stay home mom and my two daughters have thier Black-Berry, IPod and whatever else society throws at them that they want-want-want.

...Ralph

Organic Farmer
12-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Im looking around the Belfast area,Waldo co.Yes its still illegal on the fed level,But Obama had to rewrite some of the laws so that the feds would back off.They would show up and bust up your stuff,you can just imagine what that was all about.Angry Johnny at its best.In Maine they deceided to put all that effort into busting people that sell bath salts and Meth.Recent ammendments include the fact you do not have to report were it is grown.Maine compassnate care is a not for profit whos main goal is to keep the cost of medicine low for its patients.They will allow me 6 patients including my self,2and a half ounces 2 times a month home delivered.Maines moto is how life should be As far as good info,maxuim yeild magazine and garden web are pretty good.There is alot of miss information out there.Most web sites are owned by people that are trying to sell you something.To get decent info you have to go to the weed growing sites,which i would not suggest. If there is interest I will start a build site of my system,I have trouble posting pictures and cant spell all that well. I would start with leaf lettice from seed to harvest is only 11 to 14 days.I took lengths of 4by 4 pvc that is used as post cover for mail boxes .Cut 3 inch holes every 4 to 6 inches on center .put a media cup filled with clay balls,put a pump in a basen pump to the far end and it flows back to the basen.Its called the Nutreient Flow Techneic.Lettice is used in aquaponics because it doesnt need nutrients ,you can use straight fish poo.I would use a 400 to 600 watt light on a mover, it makes the light much more effective.Leds were the big thing over the last few years ,but now they are into plasma .More light less wattage no heat signal.As far as supplys I deal with Ryan at sunflower supply ,honest guy with good prices I would be glad to help with any further questions ,but I should probably start a new tread.Good luck enjoy yourself and take care.With respect Tom

Cevoe
12-30-2011, 01:54 PM
"I can't buy extra discus or build my fishroom because my wife is a stay home mom and my two daughters have thier Black-Berry, IPod and whatever else society throws at them that they want-want-want."

Hey, Ralph.
You're preaching to the choir there...my sentiments exactly.
That's why we need more guys like the Organic Farmer.

zimmjeff
12-30-2011, 02:12 PM
cool another member in maine fairly close to.

Organic Farmer
12-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hijack your Tread Al.I just realized what I ve done.No disrepect intended. Tom

brewmaster15
12-30-2011, 06:04 PM
None done at all Tom. I raised it as a topic to generate conversation ( which it has) and to get ideas ( which it has)

Eric....
Technically Al, don't you have an at home job? You sell FD blackworms.... I'm sure it doesn't keep the lights on. My wife has also tried her hand at sewing clothes (via Etsy) but that is time consuming so she doesn't any more. I think I spent a lot of time working on her online presence or helping her with tech support though...

So you could expand your online business to include other pet supplies. You could also do what Aquaria Central does and sell T-Shirts and ball caps with Simply Discus Logos on them Technically yes Eric ...Selling the Freeze Dried Blackworms is something I do and I am going to be expanding that as soon as I can....but I need to do something additionally as my other - other- other - jobs have been real slow... and from home would be the most convenient.. so just evaluating options. My main goal in posting this thread was I was asking for info ideas for someone else that has recently come back from Iraq and is dealing with Post Traumatic Stress...Thought it might be something that he could do... hes at therapy alot and needs flexible...If it was something I could do with him it would be easier for him I think.

hey BTW...
You could also do what Aquaria Central does and sell T-Shirts and ball caps with Simply Discus Logos on them we do that already.... visit our Cafe Press store...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?60215-Simply-s-Cafepress-Store-is-Open....

Tanks,
Al

Ronald
12-31-2011, 06:32 AM
My Wife also works from home.
She is the executive assistant to the owner of a company in south Florida.
As I had to move to Jacksonville FL because of my carrier she changed companies.
After about 1 year with the new guys she got pretty fed up.
We still had contact with her former boss and his wife so they have known about it and asked her if she would be willing to run the same job she had from home?
You can imagine that it did not take long for that decision hihi.
Drawback is that I sometimes think I live in a company building with all those phone calls and online meetings.
She is doing that for 6 years now so yes it can be done.
She is also preparing for certain certifications which will enable her to run her own business from home.
That is going to take about another year.
I guess what I am trying to say is it can be done but it requires dedication and discipline to really do the job.
The temptations to get distracted is very large at the begin.

jimg
12-31-2011, 09:04 AM
raise and sell discus!!

LizStreithorst
12-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Af course! Why didn't I think of that?

raise and sell discus!!

Scribbles
01-02-2012, 03:34 AM
When I was a kid my mom did daycare for a couple of kids at home and later on medical transcription. I know people who train dogs out of their home or operate dog day cares. I also know a few CPA's who have had offices in their homes.

Chris