PDA

View Full Version : Tetra safestart

spiffyfish
12-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Just got my tank up and running yesterday, and had added some safestart a day or two ago just wondering since ive never used it is it normal for it to add some what of a yellow film to filter media?

Sean Buehrle
12-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Your probably not getting an answer because not too many people use safe start.

I'm just guessing here but as long as the bottle was new and unopened, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hopefully someone else with better knowledge will chime in here.

spiffyfish
12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Thankyou sean, i was unsure on whether it worked or not but i gave it a shot anyway and have never used it before either. The bio rings in my sump just got a yellowish film on the front and back ends of the bags a day after i added it so im assuming it was from the safestart, it was brand new it was cloudy looking when i poured it in.

Mannie Bothans
12-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Nothing else with tannins in the water (e.g. driftwood)? I have used safestart in one of my tanks. It was murky, but not cloudy, and nothing yellowed... Of course all filters are different.

spiffyfish
12-30-2011, 01:05 AM
I have a piece of manzanita but it has been in there for almost a week and ive used plenty of actual driftwood before and for the first few weeks it would turn the water yellow. This looks like an algae/film, i dont think it is hurting anything and it on bloomed after i put in the safestart.

chrisb01
12-30-2011, 01:08 AM
As I remember, last time I used it, it goes in the water kind of fuzzy, cloudy, but it clears up pretty quickly.
It does work though. It will help cycle the tank and add beneficial bacteria to it.

spiffyfish
12-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks chris thats some good news at least, this is the first time ive built used a sump aswell maybe the bio rings just collect it or those are signs that it is working. Beats me, as long as no harm is caused im fine with it. Does using safestart drastically decrease the time it takes for a tank to cycle and be ready for fish? Im in no rush just dont know how well it works, just so i know if it is something worth while in the future.

lipadj46
12-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Safestart works in about 10-14 days and is about the only product with a proven track record (it is also known as dr tims one and only). What are you using as an ammonia source, ammonia from Ace is great? Don not do any water changes for a week and don't bother testing.

gerrard00
12-31-2011, 12:43 AM
Yep, it's done that to my sponge filters.

Mannie Bothans
12-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Just be sure to feed the culture: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?40119-cycling-my-tank

eaglesfan3000
12-31-2011, 09:12 AM
I just dumped two bottles of this stuff in my 120 about four days ago. It turned my water a little cloudy the next day but cleared up. Still no nitrites my ammonia level is still about 3ppm. I'm not sure if it's going to work because I used PRIME and it may negate the Safe Start.

Just wait and see I guess.