PDA

View Full Version : Hikari frozen bloodworm shortage

Bigfishes
12-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Does anyone have any information on the current Hikari frozen bloodworm shortage? I have heard conflicting reports regarding what is going on, and what it means for the future. Apparently the USDA has made some changes to regulations regarding the import of certain pet food products. It seems they have done this without any advance notice, which would have given the affected companies time to comply with the new rules (Imagine that, the govt. screwing up a good thing!). I have heard from a lfs that it is possible that Hikari (and other companies) will no longer be able to import frozen bloodworms to the US. I contacted Hikari directly, and was told that the change in import regulations was indeed behind the supply interruptuion, but that they were hopeful that the situation would be resolved in the next 30 days or so. Does anyone have additional information? How about current sources for Hikari frozen bloodworms?

Thanks.
Greg

Bigfishes
01-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Bueller?... Bueller?... anyone?...

Chicago Discus
01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
The US has started putting sanctions on certain imports of frozen pet foods being imported. The US wants a guarantee that the foods don't have bacteria and follow strict guidelines of processing frozen foods. The US stated unless they safeguard their product if will no longer be permitted in the U.S. we will see......Josie

Bigfishes
01-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks Josie. You wouldn't think this would be an issue with Hikari's sterilization process. Do you feed Hikari frozen bloodworms? Do you know of anyone who is still selling them? Is there another brand you trust? Thanks again.

Greg

atitagain
01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Word has it that they will be available again in Feb 2012 and that the shortage was do to a flood that overran the the farm and processing plant.

Chicago Discus
01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
I found this on a USDA site: Changes in the import rules,

The USDA has recently made changes to it's import rules regarding certain pet food products. It has done so without advanced warning, which has left no time for companies to comply, resulting in a disruption in the import of these products. One example is the Hikari fish food company. Recently, Hikari frozen bloodworms became increasingly more difficult to find in the stores that carry their products. After contacting Hikari, I learned that the USDA changes led to a stoppage of their imports, and they expect this to continue for at least another 30 days. Many fish breeders and hobbyists rely on Hikari's products to maintain the health of these animals. Many fish must be gradually transitioned to another food source, and will not make an immediate switch. This has left many of us no choice but to watch our fish starve to death, hoping that the supply will be restored in time to save them. I would like the USDA to respond regarding this issue, stating the changes that were made to the import regulations, and explaining why adequate time was not given for compliance to the new rules.

Chicago Discus
01-01-2012, 01:45 PM
If you contact Hikari they will tell you the same thing USDA has made changes to the rules for importing frozen bloodworms.........Josie

afriend
01-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I tried to order some fish food from the UK yesterday. They sent me back the following message "US supplies are currently not allowed without the relevant export and import licences. We do not have these set up." Could this be the same thing that's causing the shortage of frozen blood worms?

DanCBW
01-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Hikari Bloodworms will be picked up 02/08/12 and we'll start shipping Thursday 02/09

Straight froh Hikari this morning, they will have limited supply being released the week of 02/06/12
On a 1st come basis. Being our BayArea trucks delivers nextdoor to them we will be picking up Wednesday
the 8th ans will ship Thursday the 9th

15 packs of 16oz flat pack Hikari Bio Pure Bloodworms @ $ 149.95
25 packs of 16oz flat pack Hikari Bio Pure Bloodworms @ $ 239.95
50 packs of 16oz flat pack Hikari Bio Pure Bloodworms @ $ 449.95

You can also either add to or substitute
16.0 oz Hikari Brine Shrimp
16.0 oz Hikari Mysis Shrimp
16.0 oz Hikari Krill
16.0 oz Hikari Plankton
All S & H included, shipped via Fed Ex to your door.
Some out of the area shipping may apply.
Payment by PayPal to our ID of blkworm@aol.com

Please, Please, Please email direct to blkworm@aol.com or call our
office at 559-291-0623. As we don't check the forums that often

Dan
blkworm@aol.com

California Blackworm Co.
559-291-0623

DiscusLoverJeff
01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
I have to buy generic blood worms today, I hope they are as good as Hikari? Not sure the brand name yet as I have to pick them up during my lunch time. The last generic brand I bought from Utah I think had more water than worms, what a waste of money that was.

DanCBW
03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
No shortage here,
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94809-Hikari-Frozen-Bloodworms-in-stock.&p=869724#post869724

Dan