PDA

View Full Version : Filtration advice

Jason.59
12-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Hey everyone,
I just set up my 46 gallon bow-front to cycle, i have a fluval 405 filter, it was not my choice for filtration i got a good deal with the tank.
anyway i got the thing running and it seems to me that it is creating to much current, would you guys recommend using this filter for my discus?

Thank You
Jason

ShinShin
12-31-2011, 02:36 AM
I would say that it is too large for the tank. A 46 gal tank is not such a hot discus set up either. Canisters are not really the way to go in a discus tank.

Jason.59
12-31-2011, 03:11 AM
What type of filter is optimal for discus?

Chicago Discus
12-31-2011, 03:16 AM
I use canister filters in my discus tanks and i also put sponge filters in. The 405 filter is not a bad filter just don't put carbon in ........Josie

ShinShin
12-31-2011, 03:24 AM
I use sponge filters only. I had canisters back in the day but don't use them That's the same with H.O.T.'s. They are too much hassle when doing daily large volume water changes.

Mat

Jason.59
12-31-2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the replays,
may main concern is that the fluval filter is delivering to much current, would this cause stress to the Fish(Discus).
I am also looking into buying a Spray-bar to decrease the current.
Any advice or shared experience would help.

Thank you all once again
Jason

ShinShin
12-31-2011, 05:21 AM
It's still too much filter for that tank, spray bar or not. In the end, you would have been better off buying a discus set-up instead of getting a good deal on one that isn't.

DonMD
12-31-2011, 08:28 AM
I think you can reduce the flow of that filter by pulling up on the lever some. If I remember, Fluval recommends that you not reduce the flow more than 50%. I use a 46g as a grow-out tank for juvies, with two sponge filters and an AquaClear 70. I used to use Fluval filters, but had disappointing reliability issues over time. Good luck.

3dees
12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
I run two cannisters with spray bars on each end of the tank and have no problems.

Jason.59
12-31-2011, 07:29 PM
I think you can reduce the flow of that filter by pulling up on the lever some. If I remember, Fluval recommends that you not reduce the flow more than 50%. I use a 46g as a grow-out tank for juvies, with two sponge filters and an AquaClear 70. I used to use Fluval filters, but had disappointing reliability issues over time. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, i just figured this out last night. I'm going to try it out with the canister first if i don't get my desired results i will switch to something similar to your setup.

I run two cannisters with spray bars on each end of the tank and have no problems.
good to hear that some people are having success with canisters, what type do you use and how big is your aquarium?

Thanks again
Jason

3dees
01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I run an Ehiem and a rena xp4. each is rated for over 150 gals. my tank is a 120 gal. (48x24x24).