PDA

View Full Version : One of the dumbest discus posts I've ever read.

terps
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?258197-Discus-breeders-in-and-around-Virginia&p=2732098#post2732098

It made me laugh.

Discus-n00b
01-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Oh Jesus, and that guy owns a Aquarium Maintenance business? No way in hell he'd touch my tanks.

Skip
01-02-2012, 07:01 PM
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?258197-Discus-breeders-in-and-around-Virginia&p=2732098#post2732098

It made me laugh.

The problem is that most discus breeders are not random people. They obsess over them. Most have ridiculous water change schedules (I have heard 80% every other day, 90% daily, and even some do 100% where the discus are laying on their side). This means that when those discus end up in a tank that gets a more normal water change schedule they do not do as well.

LOL

Darrell Ward
01-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Another "Discus Expert"!:D

zimmjeff
01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YSS
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I am going to have to join this forum and post, especially these people are in my neck of woods.

2075turner
01-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Another "Discus Expert"!:D
yes, DISCUS EXPERT, LOL

Sean Buehrle
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
LoL

That reptile guy is a hoot, LOL

Freekin discus nutjobs :)

We need to take a poll and a vote on who should be sent over there to set the record straight, we need an ambassador :)

I say since they think real highly of Hans he should be the one to go, THE MIGHTY HANS!

2075turner
01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Almost sounds like the advise they give at Petsmart around the corner from me....water changes every 2 weeks, no more than 25%. Feed them only twice a day... Interesting thing is that they don't even sell discus, LOL

LOL

Discus-n00b
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I say we send Liz, she'll bite his head off!

John_Nicholson
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Next thing you know he will be over here posting how it is better to raise baby discus in a planted tank......

-john

TNT77
01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I say we send Liz, she'll bite his head off!
LOL I second that.
Hans probably would be listened to easier if they believed it was him.
Though knowing Liz she would have the guy crying in minutes. lol

Sean Buehrle
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
LOL I second that.
Hans probably would be listened to easier if they believed it was him.
Though knowing Liz she would have the guy crying in minutes. lol

I would be willing to bet that Hans has an account over there.

But hey as soon as Liz reads this maybe we can get her to head on over there, is she up to fightin weight? Is she in condition? Does she have the cahoonays?

I've read that like 4 times now and it never gets old.

TNT77
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
...is she up to fightin weight? Is she in condition? Does she have the cahoonays?
Lol are you man enough to to find out?

Sean Buehrle
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Lol are you man enough to to find out?

Liz is a cupcake, :)

Anyway, should there be any consequence to anything said here I want to point out that john is the one that first brang her into this whole thing.

AngryBird
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
lol
Next thing you know he will be over here posting how it is better to raise baby discus in a planted tank......

-john

zimmjeff
01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
have they realy done anything that bad to have us send liz there. jk.

bermyguy
01-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Woooooooow! Such ignorance!

Keith Perkins
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
have they realy done anything that bad to have us send liz there. jk.

:)

TNT77
01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
This guy gets more and more retarded every time he posts.

Sean Buehrle
01-03-2012, 01:06 AM
I seen that there is a sticky in the discus forum there that the author is discuspaul, is that Paul from here?

I read through a lot of posts in that forum and am amazed what peoples thoughts about discus are away from here.
It's like they are truly stumped and give way to a discus dying as just bad luck.

I read one thread where the fish wasn't eating and another poster suggested more ornaments to make the discus more at home, holy cow.

Discus-n00b
01-03-2012, 01:11 AM
I have no problem going over there and putting my mind in. Being banned if need be from Aquaria Central is not going to make me cry or lose sleep.

Sean Buehrle
01-03-2012, 01:26 AM
I have no problem going over there and putting my mind in. Being banned if need be from Aquaria Central is not going to make me cry or lose sleep.

Take some pics of your fish as proof you know what your talking about.

Proof is in the pudding :)

cjr8420
01-03-2012, 02:29 AM

-john
lol +1

brewmaster15
01-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Discus Experts are getting easier and easier to find...just takes access to a computer and a brain capable of working a keyboard....discus keeping experience not required.

-al

Skip
01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Cant we all join and jus take it over?

Jennie
01-03-2012, 09:24 AM
idiots! skip, thought of it, then thought what a waste of time going up against ignorance

Skip
01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
idiots! skip, thought of it, then thought what a waste of time going up against ignorance

reptile guys seems to know lots of info *rolling eyes*

Darrell Ward
01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Yep. I've given up trying to argue with idiots.

Bill63SG
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Does she have the cahoonays?
.If she dose'nt,she would return with some.

DLock3d
01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Really, really, funny stuff. I like how the forum puts Angelfish and Discus in the same category. ha ha ha. On a side note, I was REALLY surprised that so many people responded with better or "real" advice.

DLock3d
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
I just found this on the guys website which he initially posted for reference to his article on pure breds.

"Apparently fish don't care what the temperature is during a water change. We did full cold water changes on our 220 pacu tank and the 220 African cichlid tank, so cold that the outside of the glass was frosty with condensation. This is an extreme and we were very lucky this didn't kill all the fish or even cause a disease outbreak, so not a suggestion."

http://briansaquariumcare.com/ThingsILearnedWhileRunninganAquariumStore.html

Really interesting take on things...

TNT77
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
"Stingrays will learn to eat New Life Spectrum food very quickly, within a week."
HAHAHAHA :laugh:

Orange Crush
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
How about instead of sending one or more of us over to their forum we invite them to join ours? :)

While many of the discus posts on that forum are born of ignorance that does not justify us being jerks by making fun of them. All we are doing now is making SD look like elitist snobs. Let's show them how much we know and how helpful we are instead!

YSS
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
That was a waste of time. The OP instead of being thankful for good advises, copped a 'tude and got bit**y.

Sean Buehrle
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
That was a waste of time. The OP instead of being thankful for good advises, copped a 'tude and got bit**y.

That's because she doesn't want to do the work required to own a discus.
She doesn't even want to sit at a keyboard and listen.

I would not be surprised if she is showing off some new discus within a week.

Then within a week she will be posting a thread over there titled

HELP

Seen it quite a few times.

It's amazing how resistant some people can be to the idea of tank maintenance.

Whatever :)

Orange Crush
01-03-2012, 06:03 PM
So are there no other well informed discus forums out there that people can join?

Skip
01-03-2012, 06:33 PM
So are there no other well informed discus forums out there that people can join?

for me.. i see no other place to go

Sean Buehrle
01-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Yeah but you'll need to speak another language.
Plus they are nuts about massive water changes :)

Jason K.
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
for me.. i see no other place to go
+1 Skip!!

yim11
01-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Isn't this like walking into a restaurant and asking "are there any other place to eat?"

Try this:
http://bit.ly/yXRqEy

Orange Crush
01-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Any place that is good at what they do and care about the customer will gladfully recommend other places because they are not threatend by the question and they know the customer is more likely to think positively of a place willing to do that and come back to them.
I was only asking because as I have been reading threads I have on occasion come across comments about how uninformed certain forums are but I find it hard to believe that there is not at least one other out there (in English:)) where people are getting as good as advise as here.

TNT77
01-03-2012, 10:16 PM
OMG he sold the fish in his avatar for $125 to some poor soul.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/Work/4011814569_91e66e7fe6.jpg

Orange Crush
01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Yim11: I know how to use google search but that does not tell me which ones know their stuff like SD does. Thanks! :)

TNT77
01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I think I might have pissed him off...bad me.

Discus-n00b
01-03-2012, 10:44 PM
DAAH was the only other English discus forum but hardly anyone is on that anymore, and most people on it post here too. You won't find another English speaking discus forum like this one. Unless it's UK English.

I believe in teaching but sorry, you can't, nor is it my job, to fix stupid, and that guy is it. Ignorant and like the OP, not willing to change.

Orange Crush
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Nope you cannot fix stupid :p but that does not make it ok to say bad things about other people whether true or not. :)

TNT77
01-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Nope you cannot fix stupid :p but that does not make it ok to say bad things about other people whether true or not. :)
In a perfect world that is true. But when you have people posting stupidity like that then you have an unknowledgeable person doing research. Do you let them read that and not know how stupid that is and make the mistake of buying a $125 stunted fish that could possibly have issues in the future or do you try and prove beyond a reasonable doubt what garbage that is. And yes it could be worded prettier but when you put passion behind words thats how it comes out. ;)

Orange Crush
01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Nope it is not a perfect world but it is still an awesome one.
The internet is HUGE and anyone can post anything they want, fact or fiction. You cannot educate everyone or undo all the damage from misinformation. Like you guys said "you cannot fix stupid". How about politely telling people what you know but if they do not want to listen let them learn the hard way? I know it is hard when you care so much about something but sometimes people learn best by doing it themselves. They will come around to the truth eventually or stop raising discus. Problem solved!
I was able to find this forum and begin to learn from the best, others eventually will too. If not then let them do things how they want. Do I feel bad for the discus they have, heck yes but we all have to start somewhere.

illumnae
01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
"Stingrays will learn to eat New Life Spectrum food very quickly, within a week."
HAHAHAHA :laugh:

A little off topic...but my little motoro actually did :bandana: Took 3 days to get it onto Hikari Carnivore and another couple of days thereafter to get it onto NLS Thera+A. Previously it was fed with feeders in the store.

TNT77
01-03-2012, 11:38 PM
A little off topic...but my little motoro actually did :bandana: Took 3 days to get it onto Hikari Carnivore and another couple of days thereafter to get it onto NLS Thera+A. Previously it was fed with feeders in the store.
Mine must be stubborn as hell then. I've tried the soaking method and everything. But they are retics...picky little b*****ds.

Bill63SG
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Nope you cannot fix stupid :p but that does not make it ok to say bad things about other people whether true or not. :)Not to get nuts about this,but considering the place on the forum this is posted,exactly where it should be,away from the info.

Keith Perkins
01-04-2012, 12:28 AM
We've had the discussion about not being able to fix the uncivil too, unless you're an admin of course. :mods:

Skip
01-04-2012, 12:34 AM
http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforums/showthread.php?45816-Wanted-discus-reasonable-priced!

post 6 is recommending SOMETHINGPHISHY!!! ***!?

Bill63SG
01-04-2012, 12:55 AM
We've had the discussion about not being able to fix the uncivil too, unless you're an admin of course. :mods:Also,isn't nice where you can get a little loose.I know I've gotten a little too loose sometimes,but come on,let's be able to blow off some steam.

Keith Perkins
01-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Not to get nuts about this,but considering the place on the forum this is posted,exactly where it should be,away from the info.

We've had the discussion about not being able to fix the uncivil too, unless you're an admin of course. :mods:

Bill - I wasn't responding to your post but the general discussion that proceeded it. My post just happened to follow yours. Having said that, in actual response to your most recent post. Loose is loose, it's out of control that crashes and burns. Fortunately I've never known you to not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Bill63SG
01-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Bill - I wasn't responding to your post but the general discussion that proceeded it. My post just happened to follow yours. Having said that, in actual response to your most recent post. Loose is loose, it's out of control that crashes and burns. Fortunately I've never known you to not be able to tell the difference between the two.Keith,no worry's.I've always been a little of a loose cannon.And if you see me on here after 10:00pm,it's past my bed time.Also me and Bill Palumbo had long discussions on how sarcassm,just the idiosyncarasies of conversation are lost when you type it and not doing it face to face,preferably with a brew inbetween the two.been smiling the whole time I've been typing.

ericatdallas
01-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Any place that is good at what they do and care about the customer will gladfully recommend other places because they are not threatend by the question and they know the customer is more likely to think positively of a place willing to do that and come back to them.
I was only asking because as I have been reading threads I have on occasion come across comments about how uninformed certain forums are but I find it hard to believe that there is not at least one other out there (in English:)) where people are getting as good as advise as here.

I'm surprised no one suggested discusnada.org :)

They all say pretty much the same things regarding technical aspects of Discus keeping. The differences come from local environment and laws. For instance, Europe members can't get Levamisole but can get Flubendazole. Or people in India have to worry about the quality of their water a little more than some other parts of the world. People in Australia have to worry about quarantine and AQIS rules.

Like you, I like to get lots of perspectives, and I found www.bidka.org and www.discusclubsg.com to be helpful. I know a few members here frequent both and I believe a lot of the Asian exporters frequent discusclubsg.com. The perspectives aren't much different and the culture is about the same (human). There's a tendency for easily bruised egos to get worked up over stupid stuff just about everywhere you go to discuss anything.

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforums/showthread.php?45816-Wanted-discus-reasonable-priced!

post 6 is recommending SOMETHINGPHISHY!!! ***!?

So that's how they stay in business!

Darrell Ward
01-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Also,isn't nice where you can get a little loose.I know I've gotten a little too loose sometimes,but come on,let's be able to blow off some steam.

Some of these "kids" on the forum now are waaayy too uptight. They wouldn't last 5 minutes with some of the people here from 5 or 6 years ago. I guess we should all learn to politely tell someone they are stupid now. :D

Orange Crush
01-04-2012, 03:23 AM
Exactly :p
I'm here to learn but I don't when threads deteriorate into the personal realm rather than answer the OP's question. I am very fond of this forum and the members who share their wisdom. But, it makes me sad when people say things that makes SD look bad because you guys/gals are truly the best and should get the respect from the outsiders you deserve! :angel:

shoveltrash
01-04-2012, 09:47 AM
interesting reading.....................

when I first bought my discus (2 over-priced LFS PBs, alas), I went frantic searching online to made d*mn sure the "LFS discus expert" was advising me correctly. well, it didn't take me long to figure out where the true 'expert info' was. for anyone with half a brain, all it takes is time & dedicated research to weed thru the cr@p online. and believe me, there is a LOT of cr@p!!!!

and for me personally, posts that "make SD look bad" really don't bother me. nor do loose cannons LOL. for anyone who is passionate about something, what is truly important is the INFORMATION.

I guess we should all learn to politely tell someone they are stupid now.LOL
I've spent years on horse-training forums, with folks who have perfected the art of tactfully saying just that!!! still, sometimes you cain't fix stoopid, tactful or no.
(I'm working on extricating myself from the stupid-soup!)

Keith Perkins
01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
...Also me and Bill Palumbo had long discussions on how sarcassm,just the idiosyncarasies of conversation are lost when you type it and not doing it face to face,preferably with a brew inbetween the two.been smiling the whole time I've been typing.

One of these days we'll have to do that. If you don't mind though we'll do it with two beers between us, I'm not much for sharing a beer with someone I just met.

ericatdallas
01-04-2012, 02:57 PM
heck, 9/10 times I am joking with my wife she gets mad at me. Face-to-face doesn't always work either.

It really takes two people to communicate. A lot of people feel that the other person is being dumb for getting worked up about a joke, but sometimes very rational people can interpret things differently based on life experiences, the mood of the second, etc. I've seen people that I had and still have great respect for in regards to their diplomacy, logic, rational thinking that have lost their temper and took things the wrong way.

It's human. So sometimes, we (including me) just need to step back and say, "wth? bad day or is there another way to look at it." and re-approach it.

I've mentioned this before, but a 13/14 year old member is near the top IMHO in handling the art of communicating well. I really respect the way mattsoccer conducted himself when faced with all the criticism, jokes, and snide remarks.

With that said, "Don't feed the trolls". It's better to just ignore them, state your opinion, show fact or evidence, and move on and let the reader decide. If someone listens to the troll over the rational and educated person, then it's their lesson to learn.

Bill63SG
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
One of these days we'll have to do that. If you don't mind though we'll do it with two beers between us, I'm not much for sharing a beer with someone I just met.LOL.I glad we worked it out Keith.I actually woke up this morning bugged that I might have p1ssed you off.Also I still want to get some spawn from that female red lol.

Keith Perkins
01-04-2012, 07:23 PM
If she ever cooperates again, you've got first pick. I think she and her mate are headed back to a community tank this weekend.

jimg
01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
If she dose'nt,she would return with some.HA!!!!

Darrell Ward
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Geez, I'm going to vomit now! :D

Discus-Hans
01-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Okay I did it again lol lol post is closed lol lol lol after I had spoken lol lol I know Rachel (who closed the post) VERY well

Hans

Orange Crush
01-05-2012, 04:02 AM
heck, 9/10 times I am joking with my wife she gets mad at me. Face-to-face doesn't always work either.

It really takes two people to communicate. A lot of people feel that the other person is being dumb for getting worked up about a joke, but sometimes very rational people can interpret things differently based on life experiences, the mood of the second, etc. I've seen people that I had and still have great respect for in regards to their diplomacy, logic, rational thinking that have lost their temper and took things the wrong way.

It's human. So sometimes, we (including me) just need to step back and say, "wth? bad day or is there another way to look at it." and re-approach it.

I've mentioned this before, but a 13/14 year old member is near the top IMHO in handling the art of communicating well. I really respect the way mattsoccer conducted himself when faced with all the criticism, jokes, and snide remarks.

With that said, "Don't feed the trolls". It's better to just ignore them, state your opinion, show fact or evidence, and move on and let the reader decide. If someone listens to the troll over the rational and educated person, then it's their lesson to learn.

+100
It's really easy to just state your facts and not make it personal. Besides if you really want someone to learn then you have to communicate in a way that does not make them defensive; because when that happens they "shut down" and do not hear a thing you say anyways.

Skip
01-05-2012, 10:02 AM
omg.. i am on page 3 out of 8.. and they are getting MORE retarded!! i can't wait to see the end!!

reptile guy is IDIOT! and his nonsense could influence Newbies..

luckily SD went in there and SHUT HIM DOWN!!

i like the "freak" guy.. we should invite him into our forum!..

i like how he said, he does not have discus BUT even HE knew they needed water changes.. LOL>>

DLock3d
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
I like how Han's got his plug in there before the thread was closed. ha ha ha ha ha. Hope you sell some fish from that Hans.

snyderguy
01-05-2012, 11:09 AM
As someone who has been keeping discus for about a year and a half now, I've struggled somewhat with fish being stunted and all the other problems that any noob would have, and I'm sure you guys did too at one point in time. When it comes to this water change topic, I headed straight over to the noob part and the water works, because now I'm not exactly sure what you guys do. After that, I searched for water changes, nothing there either that I'm really looking for. So, please, if someone would, post something in the discus beginner or water works part about how water changes should be done. As of the moment, I do just more than 50% once a week. I've been apart of this forum for a while and love to read what people run across and look at other people's pictures and so forth and I'm not very active on this forum for a reason. SD IMHO is a great place to learn but what I truly believe is that some of you (not pointing fingers) can be a bit snooty when it comes to topics. I know it probably gets annoying posting the same thing over and over but I've seen many posts that come off as rude and very disrespectful. I'm not trying to point fingers here at all or even stir up some issues, but if you really want people to take your advice and do as you do, be respectful about it. Again, I'm not trying to stir up any problem's here and I apologize sincerely if anyone is taking offense to this. Back to what I was saying though, that water change forum would be nice tbh :P

Skip
01-05-2012, 11:15 AM
what do you mean, how water changes should be done?!

the mechanics of HOW to WC or theory behind the water change...

DLock3d
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
As someone who has been keeping discus for about a year and a half now, I've struggled somewhat with fish being stunted and all the other problems that any noob would have, and I'm sure you guys did too at one point in time. When it comes to this water change topic, I headed straight over to the noob part and the water works, because now I'm not exactly sure what you guys do. After that, I searched for water changes, nothing there either that I'm really looking for. So, please, if someone would, post something in the discus beginner or water works part about how water changes should be done. As of the moment, I do just more than 50% once a week. I've been apart of this forum for a while and love to read what people run across and look at other people's pictures and so forth and I'm not very active on this forum for a reason. SD IMHO is a great place to learn but what I truly believe is that some of you (not pointing fingers) can be a bit snooty when it comes to topics. I know it probably gets annoying posting the same thing over and over but I've seen many posts that come off as rude and very disrespectful. I'm not trying to point fingers here at all or even stir up some issues, but if you really want people to take your advice and do as you do, be respectful about it. Again, I'm not trying to stir up any problem's here and I apologize sincerely if anyone is taking offense to this. Back to what I was saying though, that water change forum would be nice tbh :P

snydergur : The problem is that many people have different systems / opinions. I think a great many people here will agree that 6 juvenile fish in a 55G tank would benefit from daily or every other day water changes of at least 90% with feeding 3+ times a day. You can scale that however you like. Once the your fish reach adulthood ( 1 1/2 - 2 yrs) you can cut back water changes to once or twice a week. It's all relative so it really depends on your specific situation. Only after keeping discus for several years will you figure out what you truly want to do and how you truly want your tanks and fish to function. For most people new to discus, they don't get that the stove is hot until they touch it. This can be very frustrating to a lot of long time cooks.

ericatdallas
01-05-2012, 11:18 AM
It was too much reading for me to bother... I knew where it was headed.

ericatdallas
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm so confused....

Why can't you do larger water changes each week?

The problem is that the issues that inadequate water changes cause are subtle and long term. They aren't going to look bad, get sick or start dying after a few years of inadequate water changes. But they will likely be stunted, more prone to health problems, and just not thrive as well.

Water changes should be weekly, at least 25%, larger if needed to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm.

It's like he almost understands it, but by his Discus thread, wouldn't it make fish weaker with more water changes and isn't 'stunted' an arbitrary rule for attractiveness?

It is not a sales pitch. When people say 'no, those problems never happen' or speak against something they have never even tried, then I am going to respond accordingly.

hmm...

snyderguy
01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
snydergur : The problem is that many people have different systems / opinions. I think a great many people here will agree that 6 juvenile fish in a 55G tank would benefit from daily or every other day water changes of at least 90% with feeding 3+ times a day. You can scale that however you like. Once the your fish reach adulthood ( 1 1/2 - 2 yrs) you can cut back water changes to once or twice a week. It's all relative so it really depends on your specific situation. Only after keeping discus for several years will you figure out what you truly want to do and how you truly want your tanks and fish to function. For most people new to discus, they don't get that the stove is hot until they touch it. This can be very frustrating to a lot of long time cooks.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. Greatly appreciated. This is what I really feel like people don't understand and why I said a sticky forum should be made..

And eric, as far as your post, that's the reason I don't post on here and why people don't listen to advice on here. Your response was entirely rude and disrespectful. If you didn't want to read it, fine but you don't need to call it out.

Skip
01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
snyder..

i stick python in tank.. siphon into tub.. move hose around and get the crap from bottom... let it drain.. check SD.. look up.. check SD.. look up.. check SD..

when ready.. i take the hose and hook it up to sink.. Turn on.. check SD.. check TEMP.. check SD.. check TEMP>. then sit down, watch TV.. look at tank.. check sd..

if i really want to speed it up.. i drain into 5g bucket.. and dump while second is being filled..

thats it.. :)

snyderguy
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Haha, not exactly what I was asking. I'm not that big of a noob. Pretty sure that was a joke but what the idea I was going about is how much water should you change? I know there's so many variables (size of tank, how many fish in that tank, filtration, quality of water, etc. etc. etc.) but I'm curious as to what the 'experts' think is the proper WC needed per day? I'm truly interested in this. I get by with 50% once a week and I'm proud of my discus. But I wanna see what someone who does 50% 3x a week and how that affects live plants and such. Get it?

ericatdallas
01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
And eric, as far as your post, that's the reason I don't post on here and why people don't listen to advice on here. Your response was entirely rude and disrespectful. If you didn't want to read it, fine but you don't need to call it out.

Can you explain? Perhaps I should since I was just preaching communication is a two way process...

It was too much reading for me to bother... I knew where it was headed.

So why is that disrespectful? Let me try ...

1) B/c I was basically saying I didn't care to understand and that it was a waste of my time to listen?

Perhaps... and maybe someone else can see this?

1) I meant that I could tell it was going to go downhill and into a flame war and I felt I shouldn't get involved?

I guess I could see both. <shrug>

This is almost a perfect illustrative example of how a perfectly innocent post can be misinterpreted. I could have responded rudely and condescendingly and continue the path of miscommunication or I could clarify. Snyder could have also tried to see my POV or come off a little aggressive. I could have thought more carefully and explained further or just kept quiet and not make any comments.

So many would ofs... should ofs.. ifs.. but it comes down to not jumping to conclusions, not reacting quickly, and just taking a step back.

Skip
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
ooh.. you are talking about % change..

i don't like to go more then 70%.. like to stay about 50+.. i go straight from tap.. so i think its a little more stressful if i do really large %

ericatdallas
01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
...or you read something totally different in that and I would like to know so I can avoid it in the future.

I'm not beyond reproach and this might be delusional for me to say, but I would say 95+% of my posts are not disrespectful to newbies or anyone else. I would give myself a higher grade, but I do realize I am flawed like anyone else, can come off condescending when I don't intend to be, and people get easily offended for often odd reasons.

I would like to make two defensive statements though and aer both biased, up to debate, but...
1) I do think people listen to the advice that is given here
2) For those that don't, I highly doubt I'm the reason for it or even a large part of the problem for it.

With that said, #1 is not related to my contribution but more to the VERY experienced and knowledgeable people here who may have better communication skills. As I can't even avoid getting someone mad by trying to stay out of a heated debate and purely by commenting I wanted to avoid one.

snyderguy
01-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I apologize eric. Completely agree on how it was misinterpreted. Exactly why I don't have text messaging :P I was not meaning to be taken as aggressive and am sorry you took it that way

But yeah, I'm curious. I'd love people to post their own tanks with pictures of the entire tank and fish giving specifics about filtration, tank size, how much water they change, the positives and negatives, and anything else really. Kinda make sense?

ericatdallas
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
No prob :)

Skip
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I apologize eric. Completely agree on how it was misinterpreted. Exactly why I don't have text messaging :P I was not meaning to be taken as aggressive and am sorry you took it that way

But yeah, I'm curious. I'd love people to post their own tanks with pictures of the entire tank and fish giving specifics about filtration, tank size, how much water they change, the positives and negatives, and anything else really. Kinda make sense?

see post #81..

i have 2 tanks..
75g
4 sponges hydro-5 ( like the extra for when i am ready to setup other tanks.. bio filter ready to go!) & ac110

60cube
3 sponges hydro-5 ( like the extra for when i am ready to setup other tanks.. bio filter ready to go!), 1 rocket filter from aquabid & ac110

2 40breeders empty until fiance goes back to south america.. then i will set them up again :)
i really just need to separate some fish out.. but want to deworm the two tanks all in one patch

snyderguy
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
And how are your discus looking? Are they stunted?

Skip
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
hans fish are great!! got them at 4" they are getting larger round and VERY RED!.. i have a few others that are not where I would like them to be (in my eye).. BUT i have fish from another source with them.. and they are doing great.. all have grown out together for months..

LizStreithorst
01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
% of water change depends on a lot of different factors. My rule of thumb is 30% daily with aged water for a well stocked tank. I will do up to "fish flopping on the bottom" WCs in overstocked tanks.

I didn't get involved in the thread over there, but I offend everybody now and again over here.

Discus-Hans
01-06-2012, 12:49 AM
but I offend everybody now and again over here.

We all know that that's your second hobby Liz lol lol lol

Hans

Keith Perkins
01-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Laughing with you Hans.