PDA

View Full Version : Tank Busted, Again!!!!

birdyman23
01-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Well, I came home today from work and my tank had a crack from top to bottom on the front. Luckily it still had about 6 inches of water and all 5 discus, two cories and 1 blue ram were saved and put in my 20 gallon tank safely. This is the 2nd time I have come home and my tank cracked the first time I took a gamble and bought a used tank that was not a name brand. I was really surprised today the tank I bought was a 55 gallon Ocean Aquatics tank a company based in Texas with made for stand, luckily I filled out the warranty information and sent it in. I called the company today and was told that I should be able to pick one up at the store by Friday or Saturday. Hopefully third time is the charm, if it happens again I am done with fish tanks.

Altum Nut
01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your tank but thankfully your fish were saved.
I can understand buying used is "buyer beware" but just curious if your leveling your tank. If not, it will add stress to glass and eventually pop.

...Ralph

ShinShin
01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
That's my thought here, too. Is your stand base level. It will twist the tank if it is not and put undo stress on the glass, Do you have styrofoam under it?

Mat

birdyman23
01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
What is the best way to level the tank? I did check the tank with my level and it was really close. The two tanks were in two different spots in my house.

Sorry to hear about your tank but thankfully your fish were saved.
I can understand buying used is "buyer beware" but just curious if your leveling your tank. If not, it will add stress to glass and eventually pop.

...Ralph

birdyman23
01-02-2012, 09:30 PM
No styrofoam. Do you place it under the tank or under the stand.

That's my thought here, too. Is your stand base level. It will twist the tank if it is not and put undo stress on the glass, Do you have styrofoam under it?

Mat

Altum Nut
01-02-2012, 09:51 PM
What is the best way to level the tank? I did check the tank with my level and it was really close. The two tanks were in two different spots in my house.

First....if tanks are on a second or third floor, they should be up against a bearing wall so your sure it can handle the load once filled. Many ceilings are finished on the upper floors so finding where joist are may not be an option. Your 55g is near 600lbs once full.

Second...If you do use shims to level, make sure they are hardwood or metal plate.

Third...Some use styro under tank like myself, in the event that if something does shift or settle the styro will cushion the difference only to a certain degree.

I am not by any means a expert but just trying to offer a helping hand.

...Ralph

Sean Buehrle
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm thinking your tank somehow twisted .

I don't think I have a completely level tank in my house nor have I ever.

If they are not completely supported all the way across where the tank meets the stand, they can break easily. I would also check your floor for humps and depressions. Even a knot can cause failure if it is sticking up .

I would inspect your stand, put a level on its surface and see if it rocks or if you can see light through it.

I have to ask this question so don't get offended, I don't mean any disrespect, do you have kids?

The reason I ask is because you have had two tanks break and that's just really uncommon.

Running in the house or horseplay near a tank can break them from the floor bouncing. I have scolded kids numerous times because of it.

Just a thought.

Scott293
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
This is interesting, I have always wondered how these dang glass fish tanks hold up so well. I have built stand after stand and never had a problem. I have never had a tank bust. The largest i have had has been 75 gallon bur I have had a lot of those.

birdyman23
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I think I found the problem. I was making sure the stand was level and it is level long ways but on the sides it is not. So... I really need a new stand and a new tank hopefully the manufacturer will oblige. If not be on the look out for some cheap discus.

Harry Marsh
01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm thinking your tank somehow twisted .

I don't think I have a completely level tank in my house nor have I ever.

If they are not completely supported all the way across where the tank meets the stand, they can break easily. I would also check your floor for humps and depressions. Even a knot can cause failure if it is sticking up .

I would inspect your stand, put a level on its surface and see if it rocks or if you can see light through it.

I have to ask this question so don't get offended, I don't mean any disrespect, do you have kids?

The reason I ask is because you have had two tanks break and that's just really uncommon.

Good call. I would have agreed. I've had plenty 'uh unlevel tanks
It would take something more to crack a tank twice, in my opinion (like an uneven spot or dip/high spot)

Sean Buehrle
01-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I think I found the problem. I was making sure the stand was level and it is level long ways but on the sides it is not. So... I really need a new stand and a new tank hopefully the manufacturer will oblige. If not be on the look out for some cheap discus.

Do you mean flush? Or is the stand leaning forward or backwards?

birdyman23
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
No kids and after inspecting the stand it did rock I don't know how I missed that before.

Sean Buehrle
01-02-2012, 11:20 PM
No kids and after inspecting the stand it did rock I don't know how I missed that before.

Yep that would be the problem.

Once the weight is on it from the water, the tank twists and breaks.

Another thing to consider now is that the stand is probably warped and will never work correctly, just a thought.

ShinShin
01-03-2012, 01:33 AM
That is what I was referring to. Was the base twisted. Styrofoam sheeting under the tank will help correct that.

Mat

Cosgrovb
01-03-2012, 02:31 AM
What thickness styro Mat?

ShinShin
01-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Depends what I have. At least 1/2". I get 1" free sometimes that I use.

spiffyfish
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
are you guys just using 1/2'' sheathing foam from home depot,or lowes?

MKD
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Yup I use the 1/2" 4x8 from home depot. This is 1 of my reason that I like acrylic more.

dprais1
08-26-2012, 11:18 PM
I just moved and have my fish in a 50 gallon until my stand for my 75gallon arives. I have 1" thick styrofoam from home depot (underlayment or insulation, not sure which. one side has a thin layer of metallic barrier??) under the stand.

My tank is still not level. not what I would even call close. probably a 1/4" difference from left to right. probably 1/4 to 1/2" difference from front to back.

Is there something else I can use to ensure my new tank and stand is level?

the styrofoam doesn't seem to have much give to it. I was thinking about the green foam that is used for flowers, memory foam, I don't know.

BobDaniel
08-27-2012, 01:01 AM
are you guys just using 1/2'' sheathing foam from home depot,or lowes?

I have used 1/2 inch stryro from Lowes/Home Depot since I first started keeping fish and been very lucky to never have had an incident.

joshvito
08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
You could get some carriage bolts and nuts and put them on the underside of your stand. That way you can adjust the tank level with a wrench. Carriage bolts are round on bottom too, so they won't mess up the carpet. I wouldn't put them on hardwood though. Friend in my fish club uses this method for his large 100G+ tanks.

I use styro. panel insulation between tank and stand.

Make sure to check the stand for level. Check the tank bottom for level. And the tank top for level.
Sometimes the plastic edge on the aquarium is not straight/level.

ExReefer
08-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I never use anything under the tank. I just make sure the stand is level. I use wooden shims to level the stand. If the stand is level the then tank won't flex and you will not have issues.

dprais1
08-27-2012, 01:26 PM
hmm. not sure this is what i'm looking for.

I want the stand to be level AND then the tank to be level. shims can be tricky they focus the weight on paarticular spots.

dprais1
08-27-2012, 01:46 PM
BUMP

Donno
08-27-2012, 06:03 PM
If your stand is built properly then shimming on the corners should work. The tank should transfer the weight down to the floor mostly on the corners with about a third supported through cross members running corner to corner. There should be no more than 1/8" at any point on the lower part of your tank and the stand. If there is expect a flood.