PDA

View Full Version : Discus ~ what I've learned ~ correct me if I'm wrong

pH7
01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I've spent about 40 of the last 72 hours on researching discus (obsessive much?). All my research agrees that hardness is not nearly the issue that stability is.

=== Key concepts that I've picked up are as follows: ===
* discus have near zero tolerance for nitrates when growing out and when spawing; as adults you can get away with nitrates more
* discus don't care about pH very much as long as it's somewhat sane and as long as it doesn't fluctuate; fluctuations are deadly.
* discus don't care about hardness near as much as they care about consistency. After they are aclimated to your water, leave it alone! This is good news for me, because I won't have to worry about the risk of pH crashing by using RO water and CO2. Let's be honest, RO+CO2 is a recipie for disaster unless you are constantly vigilant. There will always be a risk of pH crash-- you can diminish the risk, but you can't remove it
* discus don't tolerate temperature changes, and need to be nice and toasty warm at all times, even during water changes; water changes should be near the exact temperature and pH as the tank water
* it's all about the water changes. 30% three times a week, or 50% twice a week for discus you want to "raise" to adulthood. Otherwise, buy adults.
* feed live foods that don't foul the water
* vary the diet, and don't use flake food.
* bare bottom tank is almost required so you can get out any lost food or organic matter/waste on a daily basis; nothing can be allowed to settle in the substrate and become, eventually, nitrate
* quarantine like it was a religion; no exceptions
* put a pre-filter sponge on your cannister filter intake; no dying organic matter should get into the filter, allowing it to become a nitrate factory
* watch out for hex and hith disease, and be ready to medicate; have a sufficiently large hospital tank ready
* buy no less than 4 discus at a time, and try to keep them the same size/age so there isn't bullying
* buy discus from a local breeder who stands behind the fish purchase, and learn to identify stunted, sick, abused, and genetically deformed discus; I didn't know how to identify those things at first, and nearly dropped half a grand on bad discus off craigslist because I didn't know what to buy and what to avoid
* introduce discus first, tank mates later; they're ciclids and they need to get their pecking order sorted out first
* I can't believe how much I can learn in two days; the above isn't near the half of it

=== All of these things are good for me, except: ===
* I have a 200 gallon tank and a 55 gallon sump; huge water changes are going to be cost-intensive to say the least
* Live food, namely california black worms and beef heart, cost a lot more than spirulina 20
* I dislike bare bottom tanks, so I'm going to have to buy adult discus who are done growing (so nitrates aren't nearly so much a factor) and it's going to be 3x the initial cost; the bright side is that I won't have to raise them, which is hard, time-consuming, quite costly (they eat 3x more and you have to change water more often)
* I have a few extra purchases to make that I didn't anticipate: big hospital tank (including figuring out where the heck to put it), more UV sterilization (mine is currently inadequate), battery backup for my heaters, NEW and bigger heaters, a mini-fridge for my live foods, specialized medications, and all the stuff you either forget or didn't know you had to plan for that you have to buy at the last minute

~ph7, Aquarium Ninja

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

TNT77
01-03-2012, 06:05 PM
* it's all about the water changes. 30% three times a week, or 50% twice a week for discus you want to "raise" to adulthood. Otherwise, buy adults.
Should actually be at least 50% per day for raising young discus.
But since you want to start with adults..good choice btw...that won't be an issue.
* Live food, namely california black worms and beef heart, cost a lot more than spirulina 20
Discus require a higher protien diet. Spirulina though it is good should only be used as a supplement in the diet. There are other foods that are more cost effective. Freeze dried blackworms, frozen blackworms (while they cost more upfront they last a long time), and there are turkey/seafood mixes that are very inexpensive to make.

Wes
01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
You also feed flake food i.e. prime reef flakes and tetra bites. A hospital tank, 10 or 20 gallon should be fine. When you medicate the more water volume the more meds the more it costs. If your tank is cycled the 1st group of discus will not need a qt tank. You could just put directly into the 200. It is recomended that there is no fewer than 5 or 6 in a tank unless they are a pair but after that you can add 1 or more at a time, after qt on the newest fish.

Skip
01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
the size thing is not true..

my smallest juvies were the biggest bullys.. it took WEEKS for them to work it out!..

so its not about size.. its pecking order..

but that is a great list to start by :)

good luck and welcome to SD!!

discuspaul
01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Couple more minor observations in addition to what TNT and others pointed out:

- pH fluctuations - gradual fluctuations are fine - this will occur as a matter of course in pretty much all tanks at one time or another - it's the rapid, immediate & large fluctuations which can be deadly.
- Temp variations - discus can tolerate reasonable temp changes (from the 80 F to 90 F range), however they will not fare well in temps under 80 F maintained over extended periods of time.
- Diet - Dry flake foods are just fine as part of the normal diet variance.

PAR23
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Where did you find "don't feed flake food".......Not true.......High quality flake should be part of the varied diet you refered to.

I would also dump the UV sterilizer........No need.

Skip
01-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Make adjusments and ur golden!

afriend
01-03-2012, 08:47 PM
* buy discus from a local breeder who stands behind the fish purchase, and learn to identify stunted, sick, abused, and genetically deformed discus; I didn't know how to identify those things at first, and nearly dropped half a grand on bad discus off craigslist because I didn't know what to buy and what to avoid

There are some really good sponsors on SD who will supply you with excellent fish at a reasonable cost. I highly recommend Kenny's Discus. He will provide you with top noch fish, has the best customer service anyone could ever as for, and his shipping techniques will assure that your fish arrive in healthy condition. Also, he will take the time to answer your questions. Take a look at his web-site and read his customer's comments.

pH7
01-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Just emailed him ;)

pH7
01-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Just emailed him ;)

pH7
01-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Just emailed him ;)

pH7
01-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Just emailed him ;)

pH7
01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Dang tapatalk! Sorry for the extra posts folks. I woke up to errors on my tablet saying that tapatalk had experienced problems posting to the forum servers. With all the extra posts, it would seem like it had no problem at all.

pH7
01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
About flakes then...

What flakes are your favorite and why? :)

Skip
01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
About flakes then...

What flakes are your favorite and why? :)

my fish like.. :
Ocean Nutrition: Prime Reef, Brineshrimp/spirillina, formula I, metro fishfood (dallas) bh, pro more bh (inland discus, Bill), angel plus flake.. ( like for them to have a variety :)

i must say.. they REALLY tear into the Brineshrimp/spirillina flake..

ps.. the multipule posts were happening to me also.. but i deleted mine.. i thought the site was under attack or something last nite

pH7
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks Warlock,

But I'm not exactly following your post format. Was that list showing both the foods and where to get them? I don't recognize any of those names...

Multiple foods usually means multiple sources, so, if you don't mind, could you pretty please break it down for me one more time? For example:

*Name of food - where you buy it
*name of other food - where you buy it
*etc.

I really appreciate it. I also feel kind of bad because I thought the food I've been giving my fish (just some tetras right now) called "spirulina 20" isn't on anyone's list. I must be kind of far off the path.

PAR23
01-04-2012, 02:06 PM
If your fish accepts it, it's good food.

I feed Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake and Ocean Nutrition small pellets--any pet shop
Super beef heart flake from Bill--sponsor here--Inland Empire
Freeze dried Black Worms from Al (Brewmaster15) or California Black Worms--both on simply
Beef heart/sea food mix also from Al

pH7
01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
THANKS for the list! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm typing it into a chart that I'll put on the wall by my aquarium, including phone numbers to suppliers of the food.

If your fish accepts it, it's good food.

This is so ironic, because it's a question that's been rolling around in my mind for a while now... why do my lfs-purchased fish always go right for the cheap !$# food that costs the least and is the least nutritious? I have to slowly condition new fish into eating my higher quality flakes that I buy on mail order because you can't find them at petsmart, etc.

Granted, I've never seen a fish not go crazy over brine shrip or blood worms in a community tropical tank (again, not talking about discus here because I haven't had any discus yet...I'm still preparing for that). Also, as I understand it from the beginner threads I've read from the stickies on this forum, you should never feed bloodworms to discus either...right?

PAR23
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Also, as I understand it from the beginner threads I've read from the stickies on this forum, you should never feed bloodworms to discus either...right?

Not necessarily true. If done incorrectly, your fish can become too picky and not accept any other foods. I feed my guys BW once every 2-3 weeks as a treat and just to change things up alittle. I make sure before I give them BW that they have accepted what I want them to have first. Never had an issue doing it this way. I only use Hikari brand

krislewis3
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
How in the heck do you get them to eat flake food? Mine will only eat live black worms...and I'm incorporating frozen blood worms, but NO ONE will touch any flake food!!!!!Any suggestions? How important is flake food in their diet??

Larry Bugg
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
How in the heck do you get them to eat flake food? Mine will only eat live black worms...and I'm incorporating frozen blood worms, but NO ONE will touch any flake food!!!!!Any suggestions? How important is flake food in their diet??

Stop feeding them live and they will eat the flake when they get hungry.

Orange Crush
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Bloodworms are junk food for them, why eat your "veggies" (flake food) when you can have "french fries"? Flake food is very good for providing vitamins that are not as abundant in other food.

Mep1127
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah dont do what i did... I almost spoiled them on bloodworms and such with no flake or pellet in their diet. Flake and pellet gives discus the vitamins and other things they need to grow, fight disease and overall live a good life. After the members here on SD gave me the facts i stopped feeding them and have no need anymore. I have a whole package im not using. I trained them with advice given to me to starve them and feed them new foods in the morning when they are most receptive about it. Started with pellets...took some time but most eat it now. Then moved on to flakes barely had an issue with that they all attack flakes. Since they eat well rounded foods i can feed them almost anything with no issues.

The flake i use i ocean nutrition discus flakes - they really like them alot
the pellet i use is new life spectrum thera a - 2 really enjoy them the rest eat because they have too lol

one food you should really not feel bad about feeding is blackworms...they are more nutritious and have more protein than bloodworms

So its all a matter of patience when training them to eat new foods. usually if one pecks they all do as what happened to me. Hopefully you try it out. Ive only had my discus for 3 months now as a noob and they are eating good stuff now.

Orange Crush
03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
i stopped feeding them *bloodworms* and have no need anymore
I'm not saying never feed them, just use them as a treat every once in a rare while. Everyone should have "junk food" on occasion otherwise life could be less enjoyable!
Also, they might come in handy if a discus is sick and after a couple of days you cannot get them to eat anything else. A body needs the energy that food supplies to fight illness.

SeaDragon
03-03-2012, 01:30 AM
My younger discus seem to really like the flakes. Especially the more colorful varieties. I normally give them Ken's BH or Spirulina flake. but I also have a TC tank that I feed Ken's tropical flakes that are bright colors. So I gave that to my discus one day and they went nuts for it! I'm not sure if it really is the color or a flavor thing. But this just goes to show its okay to mix it up sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk