PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 220g plexi glass :P

gabloo
01-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Hey everyone,

I finally got huge(220g) Turvu tank off Craigslist for 250. It was a salt water tank but he said he cleaned it. I am hopping that my metal tank can hold it -.-'. I am going to clean it up and make a discus tank! I am very excited about this tank but sad thing is i will have to shut down 55g and 75g tank for it :(. Thank dimension is 72"x24"x30" . I got a few questions.

1. Is it a good price?
2. Tank got two 2" holes at the bottom for sump. I am wondering how to seal it off?
3. What is the best way to clean this tank for fresh water aquarium. Since this tank is huge i can't really clean the way i used to.
4. How hard is to maintain huge tank?
5. Should i make BB tank?
6. I am planning put about 20+ discus in there. They are from 4" to 6+" range. Is it a good idea?

TNT77
01-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Hey everyone,

I finally got huge(220g) Turvu tank off Craigslist for 250. It was a salt water tank but he said he cleaned it. I am hopping that my metal tank can hold it -.-'. I am going to clean it up and make a discus tank! I am very excited about this tank but sad thing is i will have to shut down 55g and 75g tank for it :(. Thank dimension is 72"x24"x30" . I got a few questions.

1. Is it a good price?
2. Tank got two 2" holes at the bottom for sump. I am wondering how to seal it off?
3. What is the best way to clean this tank for fresh water aquarium. Since this tank is huge i can't really clean the way i used to.
4. How hard is to maintain huge tank?
5. Should i make BB tank?
6. I am planning put about 20+ discus in there. They are from 4" to 6+" range. Is it a good idea?
When I sealed my holes in my overflows I just glued caps on the pvc on both sides. I also made sure all pieces of the pvc were glued together then applied a small amount of aquarium glue around the bottom edges.

joanstone
01-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Are you sure you want to seal them off? You have the makings for a great sump with one of your other tanks. I have a 220 with a 55 as a sump now, it's something you might want to consider. You've got the potential for a great set up, I'd think through how you really want it to end up and gradually work toward that. Maintenance depends on how you set it up really (height, what you've got inside, how you move water, etc.). You can make it very easy.

Second Hand Pat
01-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Gabloo, with a acrylic tank you need to be careful as they are easy to scratch. For cleaning try vinegar to ease off the lime deposits if any. I would consider a sump if I were you. Can hide the bio-media, heaters etc in the sump. I have a 230 acrylic with sump and love the tank.

Do you know what your metal stand is rated for weight wise? Also until you get use to the tank I would BB with a light loading unless you already have the fish. I currently have nine Tefes in the 230.

TURQ64
01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Now for that huge RO to keep up with it....

MPETERS
01-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I agree it would be better to use the holes to feed a sump. That is what I do with my 280, also I have two holes drilled in the beck of the tank which I use as returns from the sump. You would have to add some bulkhead fittings and stand pipes to them if they are not already there.

It will be a beautiful tank when set up.

Mike

gabloo
01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
The reason i m not using sump is because space consuming. Since i live in apartment, i only got so much room and i got 3 other tanks :P. It said my stand can take 2000lb per shelf. It should be safe right? 220*8.33 = 1833 lb? If i don't want to permanently seal my holes, what is my other option. I will post pics of my tank in a few minutes. This is the shelf that i have.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202251082&R=202251082

gabloo
01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Pictures
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g380/gabloo/220g%20tank/IMG_8555.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g380/gabloo/220g%20tank/IMG_8554.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g380/gabloo/220g%20tank/IMG_8553.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g380/gabloo/220g%20tank/IMG_8551.jpg

DiscusOnly
01-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Great score for a nice acrylic tank.

Couple of options for the holes.

1. Cap off the bulkhead
2. Don't fill the tank pass the overflow
3. Cover the overflow.

As for the stand. I would not risk putting that much weight on that stand.

ZX10R
01-06-2012, 04:07 PM
You got this tank for $250?

joanstone
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I would not feel comfortable putting that tank on that stand. I would build one that could accommodate a sump underneath so it doesn't take up more room.

Second Hand Pat
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Gabloo, I do not like the look of that self either. My stand on the 230 is super heavy duty and weights more than the tank.

Great score on the tank and it is nice and clean looking. I hope you are on the bottom floor of your apartment building.

On sealing your holes you may be able to get some new bulkheads and add a valve to close off the hole.

Northwoods Discus
01-06-2012, 04:39 PM
If you do not want to do a sump you could use the bulkheads to run hose to a canister filter. If you just put a plug in the bulkhead you will have that "dead space" in the overflows. Nice buy.

gabloo
01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
ZX10R - yes i got it for 250 actually 260 with delivery :P

Pat - I live on third floor ;P. Hopefully, my house can hold that much weight hehe.

As for the stand, Is really hard for me to build another stand or getting one since i only got so much room. You guys will be shock if you guys see how big my apartment and what i m trying to do lol. If i get another stand, i will have to let this metal shelf go which is holding 4 tanks. What if i put my tank at the lowest level of shelf? Do you guys think it will hold better? I m trying to keep 2 30g tank either on top of my big tank or bottom.

As for filter, i m planning to use fluval fx5. It should be strong enough correct?

Thanks for great comments guys. I am trying to work with what i have.

TNT77
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
If you do not want to do a sump you could use the bulkheads to run hose to a canister filter. If you just put a plug in the bulkhead you will have that "dead space" in the overflows. Nice buy.
I used the space in the overflows for sponge filters in my tank.

TNT77
01-06-2012, 05:05 PM
You could plug them up fill the overflows with Kaldness and stick airstones in the bottom of them. I know someone who did that and the tank looked crystal clear all the time. He did have powerheads pushing water across the tops of the overflows also.

joanstone
01-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I love the Kaldness idea. Really circulating the water up through the overflows/Kaldness back into the tank with powerheads would be great.

ZX10R
01-06-2012, 05:25 PM
If you do not want to do a sump you could use the bulkheads to run hose to a canister filter.

This is what my brother did with his 200 gallon acrylic tank.

I am so jealous you got that tank so cheap!!!!!!!!!!!! I watch craigslist all the time and can't ever find deals like that.

Second Hand Pat
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Gabloo, all those tanks in the metal stand (including the 220) is a lot of weight in a small space. I would suggest thinking about that a little before proceeding. ;) You hopefully will not be getting to know the neighbors below you. :(

laborelch
01-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Gabloo, all those tanks in the metal stand (including the 220) is a lot of weight in a small space. I would suggest thinking about that a little before proceeding. ;) You hopefully will not be getting to know the neighbors below you. :(

Second that. We had to reinforce the floor in our dining room where my 200g sits. The weight of the tank, stand, water + added "dynamic weight" of folks looking at or walking in front of it might be too much as to what your floor was designed for.

gabloo
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I will definitly reconsider where to put my tank then. In the worst case, i will let tank sit on the floor.

The guy, who sold me tank, got sump which was running with this tank. He is offering me 100 dollar for it, he called it "wet and dry" filter with pump.Is it worth 100 dollar for it? What should i check before i buy a sump from him?

Bill63SG
01-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I would also re-think the stand.All that weight is on those 4-points of the "feet" of it.If you did something with 2x4'sit'll distribute the weight throughout the lenght of the tank.

gabloo
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Bad news - This tank come with one small problem so far. There is a leak at the joint of blue box and aquarium. I did research a bit found out that i will have to use a product called Weld-On to fix it but which one should i get? Weld-On # 3 or Weld-On # 16? I m thinking about applying those glue to my whole tank.

Second Hand Pat
01-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Which one can be used for potable water systems. If either say that then how about aquarium safe silicone.

Len
01-07-2012, 09:29 AM
both are safe and or for welding acrylic, but 3 dries much faster. You may want to speak to someone at a plastic shop to ask for advice/instructions.

Wes
01-07-2012, 10:42 AM
This site has a lot of good info how to work with plexi glass and weld-on. http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

TURQ64
01-07-2012, 12:32 PM
You got this tank for $250?

There waqs a free 450g acrylic in Minnesota this week..It was gone faster than I could dial the number...just thought I'd rub that in..Also a free 180...jeesh!

gabloo
01-07-2012, 03:06 PM
A lot of people mentioned that my floor may or may not support 220g of water. I wasn't really worry about it till someone explained to me. So here is my situation and will love to get some comments and input from you guys. I m not really sure how much my floor can support or what it is made out of.

Currently, I m running 55g+75g+30g+30g running on 6ftx2ft metal stand. If i add them together that is around 200g of water. I have this setup for more than 6 months and assuming the floor is holding is well (with minor dents). Do you guys think it will hold 220g tank? I will not have stand, rocks or sand. Just BB tank with fish, water, wood and light. I will let tank sit on the floor.

Comments and input please!

AngryBird
01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
With acrylic tanks you have to get a stand with flat top. Basically dont get a stand that holds only the edges. If you get the wrong stand with the load of the water acrylic will develop problems in the edges and you will start seeting air bubbles in the seams. I have seen people use the regular tanks but I think there is a lot of risk with regular stands made for glass with acrylic tanks. $250 is a great value for this acrylic tank. Fill it up and carefully examine the edges and seams to make sure there are no issues as soon as possible before you plan anything. Dimensions are for 225 gallon but you will lose close to 25 gallons depending on the thickness of the acrylic. Enjoy your tank. I didnt do sump for my tank but since your tank is already drilled, you can take advantage of it and setup a sump of good size. Good luck.

Bill63SG
01-07-2012, 07:42 PM
With acrylic tanks you have to get a stand with flat top. Basically dont get a stand that holds only the edges. If you get the wrong stand with the load of the water acrylic will develop problems in the edges and you will start seeting air bubbles in the seams. I have seen people use the regular tanks but I think there is a lot of risk with regular stands made for glass with acrylic tanks. $250 is a great value for this acrylic tank. Fill it up and carefully examine the edges and seams to make sure there are no issues as soon as possible before you plan anything. Dimensions are for 225 gallon but you will lose close to 25 gallons depending on the thickness of the acrylic. Enjoy your tank. I didnt do sump for my tank but since your tank is already drilled, you can take advantage of it and setup a sump of good size. Good luck.+1.I just picked up a 200gal from a guy who was putting in a 400 acrylic.He was getting a bulge in it,not enought support on the bottom.He was going to have to drain it and work on the stand some more.Don't know where he was going to put the fish and rays seeing as how I was leaving with the tank.

Altum Nut
01-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I would get someone who's experienced with acrylic. It was either not welded right the first time or it sat wrong and twisted. Acrylic welding is not as easy as just applying the bonding agent and fill with water without having some knowledge before hand.

As for the metal racking...IMO I would say don't use it. Your tank's footprint is 72 X 24 and racking is 77 X 24. A tank that size should sit on all 4 corner vertical supports. Your tank would be sitting just on the shelving which is a no-no.

If you plan on getting Discus...putting tank directly on floor is also not a good idea. Discus are better kept at least waist high or even better higher. Discus will hide in corners and become skittish and may also not eat if you set tank on the floor alone.

Just some thoughts to think about.
...Ralph