PDA

View Full Version : I give up. . . Free to good home

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Ok i give up. . . just finished with a metro treatment, 2 nights ago the blue colbolt scrapped his head open on the cave i had so i took that out...
now today the pb has white film on its eye.
i've been doing about a 30% water change a day and honestly its a pain and i'm expecting my first child next month so i don't think i'll have the time to keep up with these finicky fish.

I am located in RI, I will drive an hour to an hour 1/2 to meet with anyone that would make these 2 a good home. They are the last of a bach i'd had for about 9 months. The lfs i bought them from had internal parasites it took me 5 fish dying to find out the problem. and to find this forum.

I've gone back and forth on getting more fish so that these guys will be happy, or finding them a home and well after seeing them like this today ... i need to just find them a home and keep easier fish seeing i'm sure the new baby is going to suck up way more of my time....It kills be because i've spent so much money already bringing them back to health... but i know the demands of a baby are going to make it impossible to keep up with the WC. as it is it's alot for me now....

Anyone out there willing to take these 2? I'm waiting on an order from IGO PRO i ordered VERMIS100 Vermisol, 100 Grams
1 $15.99 which i'd be more than happy to turn over to the new owners at cost Al suggested i do this just in case the metro didn't do the job.

The fish are pooping black now and are eating healthy. 71354This is a pic from about a week+ ago the blue one has put on weight since this and his head and body filled out nicely.
71355This one was taken a min ago.. you can see the scrap on his head and the white on the other one's eye. i'm treating now with Melafix for the film on the eye it happened once before and that seemed to fix the problem....

Anyone want them or are they a lost cause?:cry::cry::cry:

ericatdallas
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Are you giving up on just them or all Discus? Try buying your fish from one of the local breeders or SD members. At the prices you paid for your fish, you probably would be good to go ordering from one of the sponsors mail order and Han's or Rod/Bob are pretty close.

Don't give up. Just make sure you sanitize your tanks and re-cycle them afterwards before adding more fish (even if it's not Discus).

Northwoods Discus
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Have you considered just giving them back to the LFS. Finding someone to take known sick fish is unlikely. They are not breeding quality fish so it is unlikely someone on simply will take a chance on them. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck with your baby and come back to discus when you get more time.
Bill

ericatdallas
01-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh, I skimmed past that... yeah, concentrate on the baby first. Those little ones suck up a lot of extra time and even when they don't demand it from you, sometimes you can't help but watch and play with them anyway.

Looking back, I wish I had taken Secondhand Pat's advice and packed everything up into storage and wait until my kids got older. I got back in the hobby right after we found out we were having twins.

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Oh, I skimmed past that... yeah, concentrate on the baby first. Those little ones suck up a lot of extra time and even when they don't demand it from you, sometimes you can't help but watch and play with them anyway.

Looking back, I wish I had taken Secondhand Pat's advice and packed everything up into storage and wait until my kids got older. I got back in the hobby right after we found out we were having twins.

Twins! my goodness that most have been tough!

... i hate to bring them back to the store where its almost a sure fate they'll dye... i guess that is prob. my only option though at least i won't have to watch them dye.. the blue one was about 2" when i got him. Kinda stinks but i guess i can try again once the babies older ....

warblad79
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Have you considered just giving them back to the LFS. Finding someone to take known sick fish is unlikely. They are not breeding quality fish so it is unlikely someone on simply will take a chance on them. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck with your baby and come back to discus when you get more time.
Bill

100% agree, no one will take a chance on them. it would be expensive to treat them even if you cured the fish it will ending up an ugly fish anyway.

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
poor ugly fish.. they get no love...talked to the lfs he said he would just flush them. .(his qt has brackish africans in it at the moment) .so, i'm moving them to a 29 that i had set up and cycling to use for a qt, at least the size of the water changes will be more manageable.. if they dye they dye.. if they get better at least i gave them a chance... but i can't spend anymore on trying to fix them. going to have my father help me break down the 55gal. and store it in the basement so i don't get tempted to try again before the baby gets here .... out of site out of mind right!? I'll be back some day though! and i'll buy good discus then!

ericatdallas
01-06-2012, 04:47 PM
well, for what it's worth... sometimes mother nature takes care of things. Give them clean water and food... who knows, they may survive.

don't flush them though. if you kill there, there are other threads that are faster and more humane.

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
poor ugly fish.. they get no love...talked to the lfs he said he would just flush them. .(his qt has brackish africans in it at the moment) .so, i'm moving them to a 29 that i had set up and cycling to use for a qt, at least the size of the water changes will be more manageable.. if they dye they dye.. if they get better at least i gave them a chance... but i can't spend anymore on trying to fix them. going to have my father help me break down the 55gal. and store it in the basement so i don't get tempted to try again before the baby gets here .... out of site out of mind right!? I'll be back some day though! and i'll buy good discus then!

sorry your having such a problem with them..Where did you get the Discus? maybe they can take them back

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 04:59 PM
sorry I saw where you bought them after i posted

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
i won't be flushing i couldn't bring myself to do that. unless their dead.

hit home depot and bought a hose and attachment for my faucet so i spent $11 more on keeping them alive. my father said he had a pump he bought for the pool that he never used so i can use that in my storage barrel, and my siphon already reaches out the window... smaller tank maybe they will make it and those 2 changes to make the water changing much less back breaking.. who knows maybe they'll live... but at least my minds made up now won't get more till babies here/ bigger.

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
pb eyes are back to normal... i just don't get these fish!

Northwoods Discus
01-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Be careful using the pump after it has been used in the pool. Residual chlorine. Run it in clean water with dechlorinator to make sure it has no trace of chlorines left.

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Be careful using the pump after it has been used in the pool. Residual chlorine. Run it in clean water with dechlorinator to make sure it has no trace of chlorines left.

Thank you, he said he hasn't used it but i think i'll do that just in case..... knowing him he used it once and forgot all about that one time..

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
the hose from home depot is probably a garden hose and that will make your fish sick.............Josie

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 05:26 PM
josie,
have you had issues with a garden hose the lfs uses one.. ? they didn't sell lengths of the clear plastic tubing long enough.... it would be going into a barrel then treated and left over night most case's with a heater and an air stone before being put into the tank....
is there anything that doesn't make them sick?

ZX10R
01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a 5 month old baby boy and can't tell you how many times lately I have thought about getting rid of my fish because I just don't have the time to care for them. I have already downsized once and don't want to again but your right it is a lot of work between a baby and fish. Good Luck hope it all works out for you.

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
LOL ..... I think you are stressing to much just relax and enjoy them I had a child and discus (many) at the same time and a full time job.... I will probably get a lot crap from others but try not putting salt in your tank used in moderation is fine but not all the time...... just clean water not 45 filters and stones(LOL)........Josie

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a 5 month old baby boy and can't tell you how many times lately I have thought about getting rid of my fish because I just don't have the time to care for them. I have already downsized once and don't want to again but your right it is a lot of work between a baby and fish. Good Luck hope it all works out for you.

Thanks zx10r. me 2 and best of luck with the 5 month old... he'll be walking soon!

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
LOL ..... I think you are stressing to much just relax and enjoy them I had a child and discus (many) at the same time and a full time job.... I will probably get a lot crap from others but try not putting salt in your tank used in moderation is fine but not all the time...... just clean water not 45 filters and stones(LOL)........Josie

very very possible,its my first and i have no idea what to expect! ......i always put salt in there i'll have to try laying off that...

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 05:41 PM
very very possible,its my first and i have no idea what to expect! ......i always put salt in there i'll have to try laying off that...

Once the baby or babies come you find its not that hard once you get your routine down...

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
my Johns 11 now and I will tell you the fish kept me pretty sane after long days of motherhood....

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 06:46 PM
my Johns 11 now and I will tell you the fish kept me pretty sane after long days of motherhood....

It is therapeutic watching them swim around at least when their healthy... And now i can smell why you said the hose would make them sick...its all i can smell...read another thread on this issue (guess i'll be going back to walmart tomorrow to buy a white hose) i have to figure out how to get 20 gallons back out of my storage barrel... i guess i can use my siphon that i use to clean the tank out and just rinse it off really good when i'm done?

dwilder
01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
As far as the garden hose as long as you flush any standing water out of the hose first its not going to bother the fish, people including me have done it many times without problems and i have not seen any proof other wise

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
As far as the garden hose as long as you flush any standing water out of the hose first its not going to bother the fish, people including me have done it many times without problems and i have not seen any proof other wise

you go boy

Scott293
01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Bailey, I gave up discus back when my kids were little. Now that my kids are off to college, I am back into them and glad I kept those big tanks stored all of these years. I knew I would get the fever again. You will walk by that 55 gallon and every time you will think,,, some day discus again...

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Bailey, I gave up discus back when my kids were little. Now that my kids are off to college, I am back into them and glad I kept those big tanks stored all of these years. I knew I would get the fever again. You will walk by that 55 gallon and every time you will think,,, some day discus again...

lol. we'll i'm glad i'm not the only one that's come to this conclusion i have a feeling once she's no longer a toddler i'll prob. be trying it again.... i'll look at it this way... it'll give me 4 years to save up and get exactly the fish i want. lol.

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM

i rinsed it out first and it was brand new but its all i can smell the water even smelled like it... i almost think i'd feel better getting the one from outside rinsing it well and using that one... then again i do have prego nose so i might just be overly sensitive... their water change for today is already done so we'll see about getting a drinking hose tomorrow

Bill63SG
01-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Don't use the hose.Plenty of threads on here about why.You want one for "potable water".Not sure if I spelled it right.That's for human consumption.I think people were saying normal garden hose's have a chemical insude to prevent mildew.

Bill63SG
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Yep,just put potable in the search engine here and you'll get plenty of threads why not to use a garden hose.Just keeps getting easier,huh?

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Don't use the hose.Plenty of threads on here about why.You want one for "potable water".Not sure if I spelled it right.That's for human consumption.I think people were saying normal garden hose's have a chemical insude to prevent mildew.

that makes sense, and like i said the water smelled so i already siphoned it out the window. but thanks for verifying that. wish i'd known this earlier today... wasn't even thinking at the time a garden hose might have toxins in it... i remember as a kid drinking out of the hose.... ha! figured out why i am how i am! the garden hose!!!

secuono
01-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Are you still giving them up or keeping them and working it out?

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
if i can find a home for them i'll give them up. but i don't want to send them to a death sentence.

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Are you still giving them up or keeping them and working it out?
dont rush her LOL she needs time she's going to have a baby we get a little emotional at this time.......Josie

BaileyF
01-06-2012, 09:25 PM
honestly if i can find a good home for them i'll give them up. but if it means sudden death i'll do my best to keep them... lol me emotional! ha ha ha... :angel: i just won't be adding anymore and i know its not good to just keep 2....

Sean Buehrle
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
honestly if i can find a good home for them i'll give them up. but if it means sudden death i'll do my best to keep them... lol me emotional! ha ha ha... :angel: i just won't be adding anymore and i know its not good to just keep 2....

Put them on Craigslist . Just ask the people that call if they know how to take care of them properly.

I bet they would be gone this weekend .

secuono
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I wasn't rushing, just wondering.
If you will ship them, I will take them and do my best to get them back to some kind of health. Pm me if you would consider shipping.

I'm always trying to cure all my animals on our farm, fish to horse, lol.

Bill63SG
01-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Put them on Craigslist . Just ask the people that call if they know how to take care of them properly.

I bet they would be gone this weekend .+1.And don't give them away free,just low,like $30 bucks for both.You'll get more responce's,and then buy a pizza.

bonghapster
01-06-2012, 11:32 PM
I am in cranston if you need some de-worming flake food. I also have some metro and other chemcials onhand.

dwilder
01-06-2012, 11:43 PM
not trying to be funny or rude but the hoses made for drinking water are the ones that are made so that mildew and bacteria wont grow so why people think that regular garden hoses are i dont know

BaileyF
01-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I am in cranston if you need some de-worming flake food. I also have some metro and other chemcials onhand. I appreciate it i will definitively let you know if i wind up needing any...

dwilder,
The hose thing is so confusing i'm just sick of lugging buckets.

I moved the fish into the 29 gal. they are both really pale right now pretty much did a 90% water change temp was good when i moved them so i guess they're just freaked out at this point. If they start looking healthy again i'll post them on craigs list grill the people that email make sure they go to a good home. only because i won't be able to add anymore to their family and i'm not sure for how long they can live with just the 2 of them.... and lets be honest i have my angels upstairs with a new baby i don't need to be dealing with 2 tanks....

BaileyF
01-07-2012, 01:10 AM
I wasn't rushing, just wondering.
If you will ship them, I will take them and do my best to get them back to some kind of health. Pm me if you would consider shipping.

I'm always trying to cure all my animals on our farm, fish to horse, lol.

i honestly don't think they'ed be worth the cost of shipping... not to mention i wouldn't even know where to start on doing so so that they made it there i appreciate the offer though!

secuono
01-07-2012, 11:28 AM
You can use the clear tubing in the plumbing section of Lowes/Home Depot and other such stores. You might have to buy odds and ends of attachments to fit your kitchen/bathroom faucet. That's what I do for adding water. Made tubes for draining, almost automatic...lol.

BaileyF
01-07-2012, 12:12 PM
You can use the clear tubing in the plumbing section of Lowes/Home Depot and other such stores. You might have to buy odds and ends of attachments to fit your kitchen/bathroom faucet. That's what I do for adding water. Made tubes for draining, almost automatic...lol.

my thought exactly... as i laid in bed last night trying to figure it out...

Bill63SG
01-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Look at water-changers like python.Usally has all the parts,adapters you'll need.

BaileyF
01-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Look at water-changers like python.Usally has all the parts,adapters you'll need.Thanks!!! the guy i bought the 55 off of actually gave me one I just took it apart I've got the connectors soaking in clean water now totally forgot all about it its really gross but i'm tossing the tubing anyway the connectors will work perfect.. guess i'm heading back to home depot today after all... between all the work that's being done on the house and the fish i think i'm there daily. Fish are swimming around and very happy today eyes are all cleared back up . amazing what a massive water change will do for them... has anyone ever kept a non breading pare successfully?

Bill63SG
01-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks!!! the guy i bought the 55 off of actually gave me one I just took it apart I've got the connectors soaking in clean water now totally forgot all about it its really gross but i'm tossing the tubing anyway the connectors will work perfect.. guess i'm heading back to home depot today after all... between all the work that's being done on the house and the fish i think i'm there daily. Fish are swimming around and very happy today eyes are all cleared back up . amazing what a massive water change will do for them... has anyone ever kept a non breading pare successfully?Don't toss the tubing unless YOU feel its that bad.What I do is take a 5gal bucket and put water a bleach in it,1,2,3,cups,depending how I feel about it,and just suck up the water out of the bucket to dis-inffect the hose.Then run fresh water with a de-chlor in it.

BaileyF
01-07-2012, 05:40 PM
thanks bill, it was black, and the guy was keeping brackish fish so i'd rather start fresh its all set tubs all replaced and everything is working no leaks, i'm excited this might make for much easier water changes. but i'll keep the bleach in mind cause i'm sure it will need to be cleaned from time to time...

Bill63SG
01-07-2012, 07:46 PM
It's tons easier,and alot of us here,me included,go straight from the tap.Add prime or safe to your tank after you drain your water,dose for the whole gallon amount of your tank,adjust your temp at the faucet,and fill.You'll save so much time this way,maybe you'll keep the fish.

BaileyF
01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
It's tons easier,and alot of us here,me included,go straight from the tap.Add prime or safe to your tank after you drain your water,dose for the whole gallon amount of your tank,adjust your temp at the faucet,and fill.You'll save so much time this way,maybe you'll keep the fish.
my ph is pretty good straight from the tap, theres no issue with it going threw the hot water heater? its actually new it doesn't go threw the boiler anymore, i was wondering about that... i've only been storing water so that i can bring it up to temp before i do the change.

Bill63SG
01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I've been doing that way for about 2 years now,and the guy I got my discus from,he's the one who showed me.Had 8-10 pairs and around 30 tanks going.

jimg
01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I got into discus in 88 because my first kid was born, just the opposite! I had to stop hanging with the club and partying or my wife said she'll pack it in! so while she worked at night I had to be home and me sitting around don't cut it, so I bought discus.

BaileyF
01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
I got into discus in 88 because my first kid was born, just the opposite! I had to stop hanging with the club and partying or my wife said she'll pack it in! so while she worked at night I had to be home and me sitting around don't cut it, so I bought discus.

lmao, we'll i'm glad it kept you out of trouble! i'm doing it on my own so i'm anticipating a lack of sleep and drive to want to do simple things like take care of my fish. the new hose helped with the wc quite a bit today so if i can simplify it enough i'll be able to keep them as long as the blue one doesn't bully the pb till he dies...

jimg
01-07-2012, 10:17 PM
lmao, we'll i'm glad it kept you out of trouble! i'm doing it on my own so i'm anticipating a lack of sleep and drive to want to do simple things like take care of my fish. the new hose helped with the wc quite a bit today so if i can simplify it enough i'll be able to keep them as long as the blue one doesn't bully the pb till he dies... good luck with everything, hope you can peacefully do both.

fireman5214
01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
the hose from home depot is probably a garden hose and that will make your fish sick.............Josie

just incase your not sure about using garden hoses, there are food grade hoses available. Same size as a garden hose (connections i mean) http://www.nationalsupplyonline.com/Food_Grade_Water_Hose.html . Most of the time you see them used at carnivals/fairs for cleaning stuff at food trailers or hooked up to food trailers or campers for drinking and cooking water.

BaileyF
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
just incase your not sure about using garden hoses, there are food grade hoses available. Same size as a garden hose (connections i mean) http://www.nationalsupplyonline.com/Food_Grade_Water_Hose.html . Most of the time you see them used at carnivals/fairs for cleaning stuff at food trailers or hooked up to food trailers or campers for drinking and cooking water.

thanks i wound up taking apart a python that came with a tank i bought off craigs list... when i bought the other hose i had completely forgotten that it was sitting in the closet so i just replaced the plastic hose, it seems to be doing the job well .