PDA

View Full Version : How much are they worth

peleg38
01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I have two pairs of Discus that I am trying to sell on Craigslist. I am hoping you guys can help me with appropriate pricing. I got them all from Kenny about a year ago and have had no disease issues. They are all over 6" and each pair lays eggs every couple of days.
Blue Diamond (Female) paired with Checkerboard Pigeon (Male)
Penang Eruption (Female) paired with Turquoise (Male)
help and opinions welcome.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/peleg38/Fish/DSC_5859.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/peleg38/Fish/DSC_4994-1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/peleg38/Fish/DSC_5407.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/peleg38/Fish/DSC_5827.jpg

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 05:29 PM
$22.62 Im not sure but Craig's List is like a garage sale IMO you can try like 75 or 100...............Josie

Parrish
01-06-2012, 06:05 PM
You might also want to list them for sale on Aquabid.com in addtion to Craig's List.

TropicalFishFanatic
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Where are you located?

sipaboy
01-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I would say $200- $250 a pair for Bay Area pricing for what you have. Just wondering the pics of the pair looks like they're dark.

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I would say $200- $250 a pair for Bay Area pricing for what you have. Just wondering the pics of the pair looks like they're dark.

They could be dark because they just laid eggs it happens and yea maybe 200-250 for the pair but they are not proven or the same strain Just saying......Josie

Bill63SG
01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah,and the pb to blue is not a good pairing,don't expect as much.

peleg38
01-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Thank you all for the responses.
@Parrish. I thought of that but I'm not very confident in my shipping abilities
@TropicalFishFanatic. I'm in Vacaville California
Thanks for the comments on the pairings. I wasn't sure if it was a good one or not. I've noticed a darkening since I added the plants...although that did coincide with the egg laying.

Is one pair worth more than the other?
Thanks

ShinShin
01-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Did you ever get wigglers from either pair?

ericatdallas
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I've seen some silly things bought at ridiculous prices on Craigslist and quality stuff go for pennies, so it really just depends what people are in the market for when you post and how patient you are.

I sold some pretty large Discus recently and I had to mark them down to $55 a piece and they were around 5.5-6" range but it took about three months to sell it at that price and I refused to go lower. People had offerend me the equivalent of $35-40 a piece, but I knew looking at local sellers and pet stores that my discus could easily be listed at a LFS for $200 (which is a huge ripoff but people buy it). I thought $55 was quite reasonable.

I recently got a really good deal on two unconfirmed pairs and I would have paid the price even if they were just by themselves with no pairing activity (as I needed some fresh blood in my stock anyway).

A local here sells paired (unconfirmed) for $100 each. Quality was lacking, but I'm sure the genetics were still there.

I also know a guy (a SD member taht doesn't visit any more) that tried to sell his adult pairs for $100-150 and they were confirmed and his fish were quality and looked nice. At the time, I should have bought his PBs from him ($100) but I had no room :/

Mat is asking the right question. If there weren't wigglers, you should expect to sell them for the price of non-pairs. It's unethical to advertise it any other way otherwise.

Also, just b/c a pair breeds for one person doesn't mean it will breed for another. With that said, the PBx non-PB, you shuold list them out as male or female. I wouldn't buy that cross, some might, but I might consider it if I needed a male or female. A guy I spoke with last week was interested in buying just my confirmed male, but didn't want to pay the price I was asking. But having a confirmed sex can be more marketable if you are sure that is what it is... I'm currently in the market for a non-PB female.

Based on what I've seen sold locally, on aquabid, and what I've paid, the first pair (if confirmed)...

I -personally- would list them at $350. I might sell them at $200-250 depending on how poor I feel, but I would sit on them rather than sell lower.

If they're unconfirmed....

I would list them at $200 and may go as lower as $140. Again, depending on how poor I feel.

Of course, if you're staying in the hobby, the trade value is worth more. You could probably get equipment, other fish, etc a lot easier than cash. I would check with your local aquarium club.

I had more fish than I could handle and wsa on the lookout for equipment trades. It gets hard though. One guy tried to trade me $180 in USED equipment (a 75G, 55G, and stand) for SIX adult discus. I obviously said no and I asked him to reconsider after he looked over my Discus in person but he didn't respond. I'm confident no one is going to even sell him poor quality discus at that trade value. $180 cash is in the realm of possibility, but that's a once in a blue moon type deal (which I recently got good discus at that price) :)

warblad79
01-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I sold unconfirmed pair 2 years ago for $300 and they are decent quality. I agree that it will take some time to sell fish at Craigslist at that price but its easy to sell discus if they are quater size. People go nuts for quater size discus beacsuse they are cheaper.

ericatdallas
01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I think strain matters... warblad what were yours?

I paid $350 for an unconfirmed pair last year and I still thought I was getting a great deal (b/c the parents individually sold for more by themselves).

warblad79
01-10-2012, 03:41 PM
I think strain matters... warblad what were yours?

I paid $350 for an unconfirmed pair last year and I still thought I was getting a great deal (b/c the parents individually sold for more by themselves).

5.5" Penang Eruption (Spotted Face) X 5" LSS A Grade.

warblad79
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
For me still not the nicest fish compare to what I have right now but I sold it for decent price. You just have to be patient selling it because its going to take a while to sell it.

ShinShin
01-10-2012, 04:19 PM
No response on the wiggler question?

Why did you choose to breed these nonmatching strains? Do you have a design in mind?

No one else mentioned it, so I will. I am concerned with the health of the discus. The fish look somewhat emaciated. The eyes of the PE and the Turquoise are brown as well. This would lead me to believe that I might have a nematode problem if they were my discus. The dark color may not be from spawning, but linked to the other issues. The eye on the BD is also very large for the size of the head.

Mat

BTW, If it were me, and I am only speaking for myself, I would not sell these fish, esp. to someone from Simply. Now, that's just me.

warblad79
01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
You mention that you added plants and after that fish start darkening that might conclude they have parasites. plants carry a lot of parasites.

warblad79
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
You must Quarantine your fish before you sell it.

ericatdallas
01-10-2012, 04:47 PM
No one else mentioned it, so I will. I am concerned with the health of the discus. The fish look somewhat emaciated. The brown eyes of the PE and the Turquoise are brown as well. This would lead me to believe that I might have a nematode problem if they were my discus. The dark color may not be from spawning, but linked to the other issues. The eye on the BD is also very large for the size of the head.

Mat

BTW, If it were me, and I am only speaking for myself, I would not sell these fish, esp. to someone from Simply. Now, that's just me.

+1, I wanted to say something but I didn't want to judge, but since you let the "cat out of the bag..."

I based my pricing on 1) Fish were healthy and these were unflattering images 2) That even if they're unhealthy, that someone out there would buy them if he's patient enough.

I've inquired about Craigslist Discus a few times and after looking at them I always change my mind, but oddly, after I do, eventually they always get sold at near asking price.

kid discus
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
sorry im jumping in but i need to have 10 posts in order to upload pics. this is my tenth so all is good. i do wish you luck tho