PDA

View Full Version : my new tank!

shoveltrash
01-06-2012, 05:40 PM
so after my initial foray into 'Discus husbandry' I decided to get a large Discus-only dedicated tank. so excited!!!! got a 65g.
and just received my manzanita yesterday :D - so of course today I had to set it up.

photos:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/shoveltrash/100_2203.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/shoveltrash/100_2202.jpg

inspired by other members tanks here on SD, I'm keeping it minimalistic, simple, and easy to keep clean (bb!).
AND I'll be stocking with Discus from Kenny :D :D :D.

I want to do this RIGHT. my 2 LFS PBs were the guinea pigs I suppose -- so far I've managed to keep them alive, growing, and seemingly happy/healthy in their community tank w/my 3 AF. I wish I'd found this forum prior to getting them......but I was going by what the 'expert' at the LFS told me at the time.
live & learn!

a HUGE *thank you* to SD -- the members here are an invaluable source of information for everything Discsu!
(& ps - thanks Tara for the zip-tie advice :) )

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
The tank looks great.....you better gets some water in there and start cycling. I love the driftwood.......

Jason K.
01-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Iteresting tank what are it's dimension's?

DLock3d
01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
What are you going to stick in there Trish?

shoveltrash
01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
dimensions: 36"w x 25" ht x 18" deep.

yeah......need water LOL. I'll be putting a seeded filter in with the new fish when they arrive :).

What are you going to stick in there Trish?
some Discus! :D
hopefully some blues....some patterns....none smaller than 4"! plan on 6.

spiffyfish
01-06-2012, 06:19 PM
looks good glad tara posted the zip tie idea in my thread. get some water in there.

DLock3d
01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
dimensions: 36"w x 25" ht x 18" deep.

yeah......need water LOL. I'll be putting a seeded filter in with the new fish when they arrive :).

some Discus! :D
hopefully some blues....some patterns....none smaller than 4"! plan on 6.

I figured Discus, :oP I meant what strain.

TNT77
01-06-2012, 06:21 PM
WOOT Grats girl. So happy for you. :)

shoveltrash
01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I figured Discus, P I meant what strain.
:)
I know, sorry, that was me being a smart-a$$!
'am going to keep my 'Discus list' quiet for now, as it's not set in stone as of yet. I've admired Melissa/DiscusMama's blue crew - so hope to have something similar (imitation IS the highest form of flattery eh?).

and yes, hooray for zip ties!!!!!

I won't be putting water in until just before the fish arrive I think. so hard to wait! :)

WOOT Grats girl. So happy for you.thank you!!!

spiffyfish
01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
i hear ya, ive had water in mine since christmas and i just sit there and stare at it after work for hours.:D

TNT77
01-06-2012, 08:24 PM
:)
I know, sorry, that was me being a smart-a$$!
'am going to keep my 'Discus list' quiet for now, as it's not set in stone as of yet. I've admired Melissa/DiscusMama's blue crew - so hope to have something similar (imitation IS the highest form of flattery eh?).

and yes, hooray for zip ties!!!!!

I won't be putting water in until just before the fish arrive I think. so hard to wait! :)
thank you!!!
You could fill it so you can get the temp evened out and do a wc right before the fish come in..and to also soak the driftwood..takes a bit for it to sink.

spiffyfish
01-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Yes good idea for the wood although hers is tied up, mine still hasnt sank after a few weeks but i have it pinned against the glass. It will also turn the water yellow for a little while, so you could get a jump start on that as well.

mattbmb
01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Love the look of the drift wood cable tied to the top of the tank looks awsome.

Chicago Discus
01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Love the look of the drift wood cable tied to the top of the tank looks awsome.

Dont hate............LOL......she is just giving u an idea of what it will look like

TNT77
01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Trish also if you use a black ziptie and cut the excess you will barely see it.

Second Hand Pat
01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Trish, go ahead and christen that baby for all the above reasons. Love it.

shoveltrash
01-08-2012, 05:54 AM
:D
I'll probably *christen* it sometime this week - I've got 2 heaters on order right now from Kensfish.

so excited!!!