PDA

View Full Version : Female Discus Pairing

jeffteo
01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
2 of my discus paired of and confirmed both are female.
They have spawned together many times and since the last round, they started to fight with each other.
I don't have a spare tank to separate them. The only tank that I can think of is the 80 liters 2 feet tank that I am keeping 2 goldfish. Not a good idea to put one of the female there temporary together with the goldfish right?
I am thinking of separating them for a week or 2 so that the other female can pair off with the males in the main tank.
Anyone have a better suggestion for me to break this pair? Selling one of them off will be my last option.

Chicago Discus
01-07-2012, 09:50 AM
2 of my discus paired of and confirmed both are female.
They have spawned together many times and since the last round, they started to fight with each other.
I don't have a spare tank to separate them. The only tank that I can think of is the 80 liters 2 feet tank that I am keeping 2 goldfish. Not a good idea to put one of the female there temporary together with the goldfish right?
I am thinking of separating them for a week or 2 so that the other female can pair off with the males in the main tank.
Anyone have a better suggestion for me to break this pair? Selling one of them off will be my last option.

I don't thinks it's a good idea to put discus with goldfish. Goldfish like cooler water and way to much waste. Just get a 20 gallon high and put the male and female together and let nature takes its course. .......Josie

John_Nicholson
01-07-2012, 10:44 AM
How big is the tank that they are in now? If it is a large tank I would just leave it alone. All animals fight, but they normally work it out.

-john

jeffteo
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
The tank is a 40 Gallon.
Thinking about it, I have no intention of breeding the discus now so not a good idea to pair it with a male now.
Usually they fight after they spawned and when the eggs turned moldy. Look like bickering couple sorting out the responsibilities and blaming each other for mistakes. Some told me to scrape off the eggs every time they spawns to prevent breeding aggression. Hope I am doing the right thing.
Now they look ok with each other.

DLock3d
01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
As John mentioned, all fish fight. They'll usually sort it out and one will establish dominance. If you're really that concerned you could look into a divider.

John_Nicholson
01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I would take them out of the 40 gallon and place them in a large community type of setting. No need to have them in a breeding type setup now.

-john

JenTN
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I am a total noob to discus...just bought them sat lol. But when my angels fought after a spawn, removing all the eggs usually did the trick there. No clue if it works for discus.

ShinShin
01-10-2012, 03:57 PM
How many discus do you have? Sounds like too few discus in too small of a tank. Anyone considering raising discus, even without intent to breed, should start out with a minimum tank of 55gal and 5-6 fish.(12w x 18h x 48l, not a 55 gal hex or cube). Better still a 75 gal of 18" x 18" x 48" and 7-8 discus.

Mat

jeffteo
01-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I am over stocking sightly with 6 in a 40 gallon 3 feet planted tank. Divider is not possible for this tank.
The last round i scrap the eggs off and the aggression kinda die off. Today they spawned again and gonna try that again if the pair fight with each other again.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Not sure where you live but usually you can find cheap 20 gal tanks on Craigslist that are already established. Just put the male and female together even if you don't want to breed them, just so the fighting will stop in your 40 gal. As mentioned 40 gal is too small and that could also be a cause of agression as they can become territorial.

mi-ko
01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi! I have 2 discus in one tank. Fish were bought together and I have never seem them fight or chase each other. They get along very well. One of them laid eggs on heater but the other one seemed uninterested. I changed water, cleaned the heater and repositioned heater horizontally because I did not want her burned. I am wondering if I have 2 females. Do females fight when they are put together in the same tank without any other discus in it? They are in 30 gallon tank.

Sachio/kumi

jeffteo
01-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Hi! I have 2 discus in one tank. Fish were bought together and I have never seem them fight or chase each other. They get along very well. One of them laid eggs on heater but the other one seemed uninterested. I changed water, cleaned the heater and repositioned heater horizontally because I did not want her burned. I am wondering if I have 2 females. Do females fight when they are put together in the same tank without any other discus in it? They are in 30 gallon tank.

Sachio/kumi

Did you bought them as a confirmed pair our randomly? If you got them randomly, there is possibility of either they did not pair off, both are female or they need more time to get it right. Spend some time to observe them, if both are female you will see both of them lay eggs at almost the same time.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mi-ko
01-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Hi. No, I did not buy as a pair. I picked them at random. I am hoping that they turn to be a pair. They don't swim around together very much but don't fight at all either. i will keep watching closely. Thank you for your input.

sachio