PDA

View Full Version : breeding; amount of tanks/ set up.

fyns
01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
hey all. i am new here, obviously. i have been creeping this board for a while now- digesting quite a lot of info on discus. with all the current threads i have read, i can't seem to envision a breeding set up. from what i understand; my show tank, a breeder tank ( for a pair ) , and a grow out tank, yes? i am Far from keeping discus at the moment, and even farther from breeding (if i ever get to that point) my tank is currently empty. not for long i hope ;Looking at it empty in the corner is killing me lol. so anyway. the breeding pair will never be in the display tank, after they get identified as breeders? does anyone keep shrimp (crs ) or anything similar to help clean substrate (planted tanks), and keeping the nitrate down? what kind of bottom feeders do people use in their display tanks?

anyway, thanks for reading, and the informative threads ;)

p.s.
the fish rating threads are hilarious - best in show lol ( which really gave me a sense of what to look for when i finally buy some- i had no idea )

jimg
01-07-2012, 10:53 PM
imo all your ideas on tanks are yes. many don't use substrate or rely on bottom feeders to clean the tanks, nitrates get kept down only with water changes.
discus in planted tanks can be done, i have done it and don't really suggest it.
If your looking for a planted tank with different fish and less high maintenance you can go with imo angels,rams,cories,tetras etc

Scott293
01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
hey all. i am new here, obviously. i have been creeping this board for a while now- digesting quite a lot of info on discus. with all the current threads i have read, i can't seem to envision a breeding set up. from what i understand; my show tank, a breeder tank ( for a pair ) , and a grow out tank, yes? i am Far from keeping discus at the moment, and even farther from breeding (if i ever get to that point) my tank is currently empty. not for long i hope ;Looking at it empty in the corner is killing me lol. so anyway. the breeding pair will never be in the display tank, after they get identified as breeders? does anyone keep shrimp (crs ) or anything similar to help clean substrate (planted tanks), and keeping the nitrate down? what kind of bottom feeders do people use in their display tanks?

anyway, thanks for reading, and the informative threads ;)

p.s.
the fish rating threads are hilarious - best in show lol ( which really gave me a sense of what to look for when i finally buy some- i had no idea )

Everyone wants a show tank with plants and rock and substrate and drift wood... that is all part of a show tank in your living room. That is fine. For ease of caring for discus, and best chance to keep them healthy and thriving, a glass bottom tank works best. I have a show tank and have had for about a year. I must admit I have neglected water changes in that tank but they do fine (knock on wood). All of my fish eat out of my hands. They will pair up in that tank and I move them to the fish room in the basement. There I have 25 gallon and 20 gallon tanks for pairs. I am set up to change water much easier with those tanks (no buckets). Then for the spawns I have grow out tanks, those are 55 gallon tanks. I have not used CRS, I had some and dumped them in with the discus after a good quarantine and that was the end of my CRS. I never saw them again. I do have some bushy nose plecos that do fine with my discus.

fyns
01-08-2012, 03:03 AM
defiantly going planted. and some adult discus, from what i have read will do fine, assuming the plants are doing their job using up the nitrates. need a bottom feeder that won't disturb the substrate too much. i will look into some bushy nose plecos. the plants will be grown out, and tank parameters stable before i even think about adding some adult discus. i am up for a challenge ;)