PDA

View Full Version : Hi new here!

JenTN
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Hello, I have loved Discus since I began keeping fish in 2007 but have been too scared to try. My current tank has been setup and running since July 2009- I started with a pair of Angelfish. One was extremely aggressive and she killed her mate and has killed dozens of fish. She was from a show and gorgeous. As sad as it was I took her back to my LFS yesterday and got two 3 inch ish Discus. I am in love! My tank is a planted 55 gallon with pristella tetras, 2 bn plecs, bolivian rams, and otto cats. One Discus is Pigeon blood I believe the other is turquoise. The temp is 82, amonia and nitrite are 0 ppm, nitrate is 20 using API liquid master kit. The pigeon blood is very social, bit the other hangs out behind the filter alot, which I guess is normal for the 2nd day. Anyway, I am SO HAPPY to have DISCUS! And glad I waited until I felt ready (though I'm still worried something will happen)

BoiseDiscusGuy
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome aboard Jen... Make yourself comfortable and take advantage of some great info and helpful members!

corgi3
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
welcome !!....you'll find endless info here...

Chicago Discus
01-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Welcome to our Forum you will learn everything you need to know to keep those new babies happy.......get ready to do lots of water changes LOL..........welcome.........Josie

JenTN
01-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys! I know, the closest I have come to doing that many wc's is when I kept mbunas! They are eating (frozen) so that is reassuring. They are so pretty.

Altum Nut
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Welcome to Simply Jen,

Congrats on your intro to Discus.
It's normal for new fish to be somewhat shy at first. Your water appears to be at par according to your test readings. You can however spike the heat upto 86F which will encourage their appitite.
You may want to consider getting 2 or 3 more three inchers as they do best in groups of 5 or 6 but Qt first before adding them to your existing setup. Many will advise to buy from a reputable source...but since youv'e gone LFS ask where they get them from and approx. how old they think they are.
Like the others have mentioned, there is much useful information you can absorb here to maintain healthy and happy Discus.

...Ralph

JenTN
01-08-2012, 11:57 PM
I plan on adding 3 more...hoping to find another pigeon blood and not sure what else. I know my LFS used to stock Hans discus but the girl that helped me could only say they came from Maryland. Ive always found excellent stock there- they even stock non-hormoned Bolivian Ram juvies. They are the only lfs I deal with...pricey, but worth every penny! I was hoping shyness was normal. The other is quite inquisitive, even peeking under driftwood!

Altum Nut
01-09-2012, 12:11 AM
That's greast Jen, you appear to be on the right track and hope you find another PB.
I would think you have already checked the sponsor section...they will have what your looking for if all fails with your LFS.

...Ralph

cjr8420
01-09-2012, 12:16 AM
welcome to simply and ur 1st venture into discus.if ya havent yet hit those stickys in the beginners section will help abunch

cjr8420
01-09-2012, 12:17 AM
That's greast Jen, you appear to be on the right track and hope you find another PB.
I would think you have already checked the sponsor section...they will have what your looking for if all fails with your LFS.

...Ralph
+1 on here you can talk to hans himself and no middle man

JenTN
01-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Yes, I may end up ordering from Hans...his website makes me drool lol!

shoveltrash
01-09-2012, 08:49 AM
hi & welcome! be prepared to spend hours reading here LOL -- there is tons of info, for just about any question you might have :)

like you, I went & bought 2 young Discus from the lfs & added them to my community tank........
things I have changed since the purchase (and since becoming a member here):
removed substrate, gone bare-bottom for ease in cleaning
got myself a water storage barrel, a submersible pump, rv hose, and developed a fast system for WCs (lugging buckets gets old fast)
started feeding frozen beefheart, and freeze dried blackworms (from aquaticsuppliers.com)
added a sponge filter, removed my HOB filter
removed my pleco! (i caught it sucking on Discus at night!!!)
and the most fun of all -- I now feed by hand! Discus have such awesome personalities, mine are spoiled rotten and prefer being hand fed now LOL.

from one newbie to another, I just wanted to share what I went thru :).
and now I've gotten myself a larger Discus-only tank, which I'll be stocking soon I hope :D.

'would love to see pics of your tank. I'm especially impressed by those with successful planted tanks - as i have a brown thumb!

Aquanero
01-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi, and welcome! I'm a new member to the site too and have been reading everything, great info and people on here. I finaly got enough curage up to try my hand at some Heckel and have found tons of great information to help me with them. Good luck to you, these are truly beautiful fish. I'm very happy I decided to go the route.

JenTN
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Thank you, I love advice! The really sad thing is I have already read tons on here, many times in the past when I have thought about keeping discus! I admit to being a nerd. I also read a ton since I got them, here and in books & back issues of magazines. Also on cichlid forum. Go ahead-laugh lol. My planted tank is not too great because its very low-tech-I decided my primary goal was to keep my fish happy and low lighting stressed them and I swear ferts did too. So its very natural. As for my bn plecos, they have a varied diet of snails, driftwood, pellets & bananas so Im really hoping they leave the discus alone. They pretty much keep to themselves. Im more worried about the ottos! Im feedin frozen discus formula from a syringe and the pb comes right up to it..so cute!

DLock3d
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Welcome to Simply Jen! Make sure to read as much as you can and when possible, make sure to search the forum before creating a new thread to see if someone has already had the same question you do! :) Congrats on your first discus!

Skip
01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome.. Jen..

now go do a water change!

JenTN
01-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Picture..please excuse the bad photography :-) Oh, my mom loves discus and has seen large adults at the LFS.. she said "they are not very colorful".. I told her they are not supposed to be, they are babies LOL

chiligum
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Welcome Jen.
It's not being a nerd reading lots of info about your new fish, i call it being a responsible fish keeper and i wish more people were like that instead of just seeing colourful round fish and buying them without a 2nd thought about their well being, well done;)

shoveltrash
01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
ditto what chiligum said!!! :)

ZX10R
01-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi Jen welcome to simply,

I see TN at the end of your name do you live in TN?

JenTN
01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes, I am in Knoxville. Is that your stingray? I have wanted one since I saw one at a now out of business lfs....they told me I could house one in a 30 gal :-0 I was very dissapointed when I got into the hobby & found out what they require. Its a goal of mine to own one someday!

ZX10R
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes, I am in Knoxville.

I was just wondering if you lived near me. Seems like I am out in BFE since there is no discus people within 2 hrs from my house. That was my ray sold him a few months back had to downsize do to my wife and I having our first child. Hopefully someday I will get some more rays.

Sean

JenTN
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
I have a good friend who lives in KY. Seems like not too many in the hobby in the South, we don't even have a club that I know of. I don't know anyone who has kept Discus. My grandmother kept all sorts of fish, even seahorses in the 80s I think.

chaoslite
01-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Welcome to Simply JenTN.

Mishka

ZX10R
01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Seems like not too many in the hobby in the South, we don't even have a club that I know of.

Same here

Second Hand Pat
01-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Jen, welcome to simply, lots of good folks here and plenty of good info.
Pat

hedut
01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome SD Jen :)

JenTN
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
WC done..gotta get a python, lost mine somehow in my divorce even tho ex hates fish? Man these babies eat a lot!

ZX10R
01-10-2012, 08:53 AM
If you can keep up with the WC and keep the tank clean I was feeding my guys when they were little 4-6 times a day

JenTN
01-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Ill try that I was doing three. Its funny my rams are in spawning mode and chase everything but theyll go up to the discus and immediately back off, even over food. The pb seems dominant in the tank it even investigates under the driftwood...Im missing all my fave tv shows lol

CrazyAngels
01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Welcome aboard the Simply train, hang on and enjoy the ride.

Chicago Discus
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Hello jen after looking at your knew babies my thoughts> up your water changes to at least every other day and feed them more frequently they look a little thin best of luck and welcome again.............................Josie

JenTN
01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks Josie any input is appreciated...bluish guy is bigger but thinner, he is really skittish he wont eat while im at the tank. He.gets dark when hes scared also ( idk why i call it a him). Just got them sat, been doin wc every other day but upping to every day.

JenTN
01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Okay so I read on here about skittish discus...I watched the tank at the lfs on two separate occasions before purchase (I know Im anal) & he didnt seem skittish there. Im wondering if I should go ahead and increase the discus number now? Im so nervous about being a noob I wanted to see how these did first. Also any thoughts on quality? I promise I wont get offended, I can always order online if they are poor stock. My 9 yr old picked the pb I thought she had a good eye. She usually does on fish.

Chicago Discus
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Okay so I read on here about skittish discus...I watched the tank at the lfs on two separate occasions before purchase (I know Im anal) & he didnt seem skittish there. Im wondering if I should go ahead and increase the discus number now? Im so nervous about being a noob I wanted to see how these did first. Also any thoughts on quality? I promise I wont get offended, I can always order online if they are poor stock. My 9 yr old picked the pb I thought she had a good eye. She usually does on fish.

Jen there are great sponsors on this forum I read that you like Hans discus, i bought many fish from hans the quality is great but if you buy some more you need to quarantine the discus for a while (mixing different sources right away is a no no)to make sure there are no problems I would recommend getting a quarantine tank so after you use it for that purpose you can make it a hospital tank....

ZX10R
01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
but if you buy some more you need to quarantine the discus for a while (mixing different sources right away is a no no)to make sure there are no problems I would recommend getting a quarantine tank so after you use it for that purpose you can make it a hospital tank....

If anything please listen to Josie on this one very important!!!!

JenTN
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Yes, I will either buy more from lfs or set up quarentine tank...Im just not sure if they are mediocre or pretty good. I can live with pretty good for my 1st go round.

DLock3d
01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes, I will either buy more from lfs or set up quarentine tank...Im just not sure if they are mediocre or pretty good. I can live with pretty good for my 1st go round.

Just an FYI. Most people QT even if they receive fish from the same source. IE - If I order from a breeder and then decide I want more fish from the same breeder. I still QT just to make sure one group doesn't possess something that the other group does not.

JenTN
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Ok, I will try to find the space. I have two kids, not to mention hand raising a 1 1/2 week old kitten...does anyone else think that raising juvies is like having a newborn?? Feed every few hours, change water once a day, check params....Sad that first thing I do waking and going to bed is check on them & that I set my alarm early to thaw out cubes of insects and shrimp. Its ok tho Ive always been a mama hen lol.

ZX10R
01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a 5 month old baby and my wife works evening shift so yes I understand on the finding time thing

JenTN
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I kinda worded it.wrong..raised the kitten years ago...these fish babies and their demands remind me of a newborn baby! But yes time is a hot commodity! I change water after kiddos are in bed usually and listen to the t.v. while Im doing it. Of course the whole time my cat is yowling because Im not paying attention to him. My attention is a hot commodity as well lol.

ZX10R
01-10-2012, 11:50 PM
I change water after kiddos are in bed usually and listen to the t.v. while Im doing it.

Same here that is the only time I can get to it.

JenTN
01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Had to go to my lfs tonite for water conditioner...the discus are labled "Stendker". They have 2 that I really have my eyes on. My two are starting to look less thin I believe. Funny thing...skittish one is starting to chase the other one around!

Chicago Discus
01-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Just an FYI. Most people QT even if they receive fish from the same source. IE - If I order from a breeder and then decide I want more fish from the same breeder. I still QT just to make sure one group doesn't possess something that the other group does not.
very true I actually do the same thing.......

ZX10R
01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
My two are starting to look less thin I believe. Funny thing...skittish one is starting to chase the other one around!

That is good they are starting to fill out. That is why most people say get 6 or more so they spread out the aggresion and not one fish gets picked on the most.

JenTN
01-11-2012, 11:49 PM
I plan on 5 total..would like 6 but I dont think it would work in my setup..55 gal, 12 pristella tetras, 3 bolivians, 2 bn plecos & a few ottos.

JenTN
01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Ok, I am going to set up qt tank & order from Hans. Talked to him last night, super nice! Now to figure out what to order...too many choices!!

ZX10R
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok, I am going to set up qt tank & order from Hans. Talked to him last night, super nice! Now to figure out what to order...too many choices!!

You made a good choice and have fun trying to decide that is very hard to do

JenTN
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Any guess of what the little blue guy is? Ive looked at the small to big photos and I'm at a loss! Trying to match fish for my order.

DLock3d
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Really hard to tell from the picture provided, my best guess would be SS based on the pattern on his face and fins.

JenTN
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks that was my only thought...pattern is much more brilliant when hes calm and eating.

JenTN
01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Wooooo-hoooo! Jumping jacks....placed my order with Hans!!!! Ordered- 1x...Cobalt, Marlboro Red, Flachen, Alenquer. I like the variety, and went with a mix instead of the same. Realize I will not have more tanks if they breed, and I do not have the eye and experience to decide what to cull and what to keep if I were to sell the offspring. Maybe later on as I learn more about the hobby in 20 or so years lol. Okay calming down a bit, just so excited...And EVEN with the shipping, I paid LESS than I would for fish the same size at my LFS ordering from him!!!!!!! Going to pick up a qt tank today, was going to last night, but it was spitting snow and I was worried about the roads getting slick. Also picking up a python for these constant wc's LOL. My 9 year old told me to stop referring to these fish as "our babies" because people were going to think I was nuts lol!!!

DLock3d
01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Just wait until they show up at your door. Is this your first time mail ordering fish? If so, try not to shred the packaging. It's SO exciting. Take your time and make sure to be gentle. It'll take you awhile to get through Han's packaging. I swear in another life he worked for a moving company.

ZX10R
01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Yep when you see that box sitting there from Hans you do get a little excited

JenTN
01-14-2012, 12:54 AM
I have ordered fish once before but I was in a jam.& it wasnt what I really wanted..so I wasnt too excited. I am so excited now, can't wait til next week!

BoiseDiscusGuy
01-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Congrats! I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. Hans and his fish are amazing! Get your camera ready, we want some pics!

JenTN
01-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks! Camera wil be ready, freezer is stocked!

ZX10R
01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I have fish from Hans and the only one I have that you are getting is the Alenquer here is mine
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/P1020043.jpg

JenTN
01-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Its so pretty!

Second Hand Pat
01-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Nice fish Sean, it's golden eye compliments the fish nicely.

JenTN
01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
They are here :-) My sister is home with them! They are apparantly curious lol!!! My kids are going to be so happy when they get home (not to mention me LOL!)

JenTN
01-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Well they are great!!! I got the 4 I ordered, plus 4 babies for the kids LOL!! The babies are teeny!! They are all so beautiful! I really think they are tired of us all staring at them though! I finally had to tell the kids to step away from the glass last night. My son is super excited- he now has a blue snakeskin named Captain America and a Marlboro red named Hydra. We'll see later on if they chase each other around :-)

JenTN
01-19-2012, 12:29 AM
One of the original two after about a week and a half...I think they are fattening up hopefully, this one is either eating or looking for food lol! When I come home Im greeted at the tank by wiggles and fin flaps by it!

Discus Addict
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Welcome..I too am new to Simply Discus I will enjoy learning together. I have the multiple tank syndrome disease. It seems like I never have enough room and always want just one more. LOL :)

JenTN
01-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I only have the one tank, but I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade to a 90 gal :-)

shoveltrash
01-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Jen good luck with your babies! :)
I too have 'multiple tank syndrome'......after joining here several months ago, I started shopping around and ended up with another, larger tank for Discus! LOL

David Rose
01-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Welcome to Simply! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your fish!

JenTN
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Here little pb is 2 weeks @ home. Excuse bad shot..I really need to get a new camera soon! I cant get a good shot of Hans' fish, & I want to do them justice! May borrow my sisters camera. Anyway, original 2 arent concave anymore. Ss wont let me get a pic, but its filling out NICELY. Afraid pb may be stunted? Oh well. Really noticed the differene in their bellies when I got Hans' fish.

JenTN
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Snakeskin aka "Captain America" almost 3 wks old. Big ham, loves handfeeding!

P.S. tank is not dirty, it was meal time :)

JenTN
01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Oops 3 wks HOME that is

JenTN
01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Pigeon blood

ZX10R
01-27-2012, 02:06 PM
What the PB doesn't have a name?

JenTN
01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
What the PB doesn't have a name?

Yup, it's Toralei! All of our fish have names LOL, first thing the kids do is name them. I must say Captain America is one of my favorites..he's very showy and if you notice him digging under the driftwood, he's quite the piggy!

ZX10R
01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
That is good to hear they are eating so well

JenTN
01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes, they eat so well my bolivian rams have started swimming to mid-water to get their fair share.

JenTN
02-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Haha these guys are soooo great :-) I was so worried the babies would have a hard time competing for food..they rip it out of the bigger guys' mouths! I just love discus officially! My kids do too. Some new pics: (had to throw in big boy ram, hes such a clown!)

discus day
02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
i would suggest tanking out the substrate. but over all they look GREAT! my 3 yr niece LOVES feeding the discus since those are the only ones i dare let her hand feed lol

JenTN
02-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks! Im in the process of removing the substrate..plants are gone, thats why the filter intake looks so gross its plant pieces that I cant chase out yet. The pics do NOT do them justice, I have got to get a camera soon, just havent had a chance.

discus day
02-08-2012, 12:03 AM
unless youre kenny the picture never do them justice lol. have you try just taking the intake out and rising it? also hw big are the fish?i would consider switching over to a sponge filter since food and crap rots away in the filter.

owlay
02-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello everybody. I'm also new here and I plan to get some discus. Before I will get some, I want to inform myself a little bit more about them... At the moment I have an aquarium at home with some other fishes inside, but I need some changes- new fishes and new plants! I want to gather some information and inspiration!

JenTN
02-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Well when I take the intake off it floats away..its soft stringy fibers. Its slowly coming out every wc. I've never had sponge filters, kinda scared to! I clean my hob frequently & change the media weekly or bi-weekly.

JenTN
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Hello everybody. I'm also new here and I plan to get some discus. Before I will get some, I want to inform myself a little bit more about them... At the moment I have an aquarium at home with some other fishes inside, but I need some changes- new fishes and new plants! I want to gather some information and inspiration!

Hi & welcome! Im in the process of removing my substrate, have already removed my plants..much easier for the daily wc for young discus!

discus day
02-08-2012, 04:41 PM
What are you scare about sponge filters? Lol

DerekFF
02-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Well when I take the intake off it floats away..its soft stringy fibers. Its slowly coming out every wc. I've never had sponge filters, kinda scared to! I clean my hob frequently & change the media weekly or bi-weekly.

Why change so often? Must be hard to keep a tank cycled that way id think

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JenTN
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
So far no problem..have other places on the filter for bacteria to grow though.

eaglesfan3000
02-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes, I may end up ordering from Hans...his website makes me drool lol!

Welcome...you should see it in person, your head will explode...and one Helluva guy.