PDA

View Full Version : Wanting BLACK substrate

MOdiscus
01-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey! I'm wanting to set up a planted discus tank with a black substrate, but the main black sand I've seen is black beauty, aka iron slag. Is there anything else I could use? I'md like to find something that might help lower the pH without unduly affecting the hardness. I've seen lots p people talking about pool filter sand on here, but I really like the black sand's look- any advice?

TNT77
01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Estes makes a black sand..its expensive but it is inert and wont effect ph.

BillyinNYC
01-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Does it have to be sand? Flourite comes in an all-black version and it's great for plants--I've used it successfully with no other additives in the substrate for the plants and loved it.

gerrard00
01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey! I'm wanting to set up a planted discus tank with a black substrate, but the main black sand I've seen is black beauty, aka iron slag. Is there anything else I could use? I'md like to find something that might help lower the pH without unduly affecting the hardness. I've seen lots p people talking about pool filter sand on here, but I really like the black sand's look- any advice?

I would read some old threads about dark substrate before settling on it. I can tell you from personal experience that switching from flourite to sand in my tank made my fish color up practically overnight and reduced the peppering in my pigeon bloods. There was an old thread that showed the difference in one guys fish after the change, but the photos were removed after the fact. Just something to think about.

Aquanero
01-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I tried stright black Tahitian Moon sand in one of my tanks a while back and didn't like it. It is very fine and was a real pian to vacume. I have mixed it with PFS for a cool look about 30% TMS and 70% PFS. I use stright PFS in my tanks but still have two with the mix I discribed and a few hand fulls of natural river gravel thrown for effect, these two are not Discus tanks though.

Bart V
01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I have Dupont Colorquartz in my tanks. It is a Ceramic-coated Silica sand produced for use in the swimming pool industry. It looks great! I selected it because is is supposedly less abrasive on Cory whiskers than sharp silica can be. It comes in two sizes, fine and coarse. I have the fine but would maybe go with the coarse if I had it to do over. This stuff is VERY difficult to clean though. I had an oil slick on the water for about a month even after repeated washings with a mild degreaser! Looks great now though...

Just my two cents...

BillyinNYC
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I would read some old threads about dark substrate before settling on it. I can tell you from personal experience that switching from flourite to sand in my tank made my fish color up practically overnight and reduced the peppering in my pigeon bloods. There was an old thread that showed the difference in one guys fish after the change, but the photos were removed after the fact. Just something to think about.

I've used black flourite in the past with my turks and they didnt seem affected at all. Definitely agree with the risk of a dark substrate for pigeon based discus--though is it known for sure whether peppering is genetic, genetic and environmental, or just environmental? I always thought both, but I am no expert!

I'm curious though, I always thought once peppering formed, it was permanent...can it really go away?

gerrard00
01-11-2012, 01:50 PM
I've used black flourite in the past with my turks and they didnt seem affected at all. Definitely agree with the risk of a dark substrate for pigeon based discus--though is it known for sure whether peppering is genetic, genetic and environmental, or just environmental? I always thought both, but I am no expert!

I'm curious though, I always thought once peppering formed, it was permanent...can it really go away?

My understanding is that peppering is at root genetic as they are evolved stress bars. However, even a single fish can display more of less of their peppering depending on conditions. The overall color of the fish can also lighten or darken based on stress, etc. I wish that old picture hadn't disappeared, it was really enlightening (no pun intended). I had the same experience, but unfortunately I didn't think to record before and after photos.

I once went away for vacation and when I came back my filter wasn't working properly. Ok, I admit it, I forgot to turn it back on. My fish were dark and showed tons of peppering. After a big water change, they immediately lightened and the peppering lessened.

Switching from dark substrate to light sand caused both my pb based fish and my brilliant turqs to brighten up their overall coloring.

That said, I'm no expert. All I'm doing is repeating what I've gathered by reading this forum and from personal observation. I recommend that anyone thinking about using dark substrate search through the knowledge in some of the older threads.

CrazyAngels
01-11-2012, 03:24 PM
AquariumPlants.com also has black substrate for planted tanks, that might also be an option, here s the link.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

Skip
01-11-2012, 03:29 PM
i want some black substrate for my SHRIMP tanks.. :(

no sure which to go with.. i LOVE the EBI FLUVAL stuff.. BUT $25 for 8.8 lbs :(

nwehrman
01-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I have black diamond blasting sand in my ram tank - looks great and makes colors pop. Also using in some shrimp tanks- so far so good there too. lots of people on the planted tank use it; but not sure about with discus.

8.00 for 50lbs

Nicole

Skip
01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I have black diamond blasting sand in my ram tank - looks great and makes colors pop. Also using in some shrimp tanks- so far so good there too. lots of people on the planted tank use it; but not sure about with discus.

8.00 for 50lbs

Nicole

tractor supply?! or somewhere else?

Bill63SG
01-11-2012, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=BillyinNYC;843364

I'm curious though, I always thought once peppering formed, it was permanent...can it really go away?[/QUOTE]I'm no expert,but I had two pb's,different stains,can't remember,and when they were in my upstairs tank,they peppered up.Tank is too dark,I know.When I moved them back downstairs to a bb,one cleared up almost completly in the week,and the other lightened,but never completely cleared up.

nwehrman
01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Skip -Yes tractor supply - by the sand blasters ...its coal slag but works great.

Bought a bag yesterday in San Marcos...7.99 for 50lbs plus tax.

BillyinNYC
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
My understanding is that peppering is at root genetic as they are evolved stress bars. However, even a single fish can display more of less of their peppering depending on conditions. The overall color of the fish can also lighten or darken based on stress, etc. I wish that old picture hadn't disappeared, it was really enlightening (no pun intended). I had the same experience, but unfortunately I didn't think to record before and after photos.

I once went away for vacation and when I came back my filter wasn't working properly. Ok, I admit it, I forgot to turn it back on. My fish were dark and showed tons of peppering. After a big water change, they immediately lightened and the peppering lessened.

Switching from dark substrate to light sand caused both my pb based fish and my brilliant turqs to brighten up their overall coloring.

That said, I'm no expert. All I'm doing is repeating what I've gathered by reading this forum and from personal observation. I recommend that anyone thinking about using dark substrate search through the knowledge in some of the older threads.

Come to think of it, my discus all seem to get happy immediately following a water change and do lighten up some--my pigeon has almost no peppering save a few dots, but I'll be sure to test the theory and look closely next time...!

DiscusLoverJeff
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Eco-Complete at Petco, awesome look and plants thrive.

Orange Crush
01-12-2012, 01:52 AM
There is Flourite onyx sand and Flourite black sand. I have the black sand in my tank that has the shrimps, they really stand out against the black and my plants love it too. You could always try CO2 to lower the pH since it is a planted tank.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlouriteBlackSand.html

Mxx
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
There is Flourite onyx sand and Flourite black sand. I have the black sand in my tank that has the shrimps, they really stand out against the black and my plants love it too. You could always try CO2 to lower the pH since it is a planted tank.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlouriteBlackSand.html

I believe Onyx sand raises hardness.

And I didn't think the aforementioned Dupont Colorquartz was still available, and I hadn't heard anyone else reporting problems such as the oil slick described.

Estes sand seems to be what many use now instead of the colorquartz.

roundfishross
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
this stuf is black cheap and I have kept pigeons in it with very minimal peppering plus the fish spawned like crazy. 6gals really made a nice deep layer in a 75g tank:)
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

Skip
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
some one else posted that somewhere.. hmmmmm.... looks great for my shrimp tanks :)

x2h
01-13-2012, 12:15 AM
+1 on black diamond blasting sand. works for me and "dirt" cheap. see my thread in planted. first pic is with pool filter sand, then the bottom pic is with black diamond blasting sand.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/127954-help-me-choose-background.html

roundfishross
01-13-2012, 12:35 AM
its good stuff for the money, Skip

MOdiscus
01-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Has anyone tried the fluval stratum substrate? I know it's not dark like I was hoping, but it's supposed to lower the pH and kH.

roundfishross
01-19-2012, 09:42 AM
the substrate I linked to will lower ph, it's dark and cheaper than the fluval????????

Aqua North
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Eco complete black is very nice and great for a planted tank.

MOdiscus
01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
the substrate I linked to will lower ph, it's dark and cheaper than the fluval????????
After doing a TON of research, I'm probably going to end up going with this substrate. I really appreciate you letting me know about it!

miaozer
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Why not go for Eco Complete? I use it and think it's a great black substrate

NewETown
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Fluval Stratum is working really well for me, I highly recommend it but it is expensive. I have a fully planted tank and everything is doing well, even had my first clutch of eggs yesterday :).

Edit: The other amazing thing about this substrate is how soft it is. It won't wear down the barbells on any cats or cause damage to any fish that somehow collide with it.

roundfishross
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
After doing a TON of research, I'm probably going to end up going with this substrate. I really appreciate you letting me know about it!

after using several different types,this was the best for me and the most cost efficient as well