PDA

View Full Version : spots on my discus

genski84
01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
My tiger turquoise recently developed some white markings that look like ich. He's hanging out mostly by himself and is extremely dark in color. Usually he's very vibrant. None of my other fish have any spots it issues. Water peramiters are fine. Any suggestions?

chaoslite
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
If you fill this out it would be quite helpful. And if you can get a picture of the fish in question that would be a plus.

Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Mishka

genski84
01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
If you fill this out it would be quite helpful. And if you can get a picture of the fish in question that would be a plus.

Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
started about two days ago: lost one fish with breathing issues it looked like, nothing else; then my tiger turquiose began to nehave abnormal and tuned very dark

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
cloudy eyes, very dark, usually, very vibrant, poo is normal, hiding, not eating, slime coat excessive, respritory issues, one clamped fin

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I did some research and came to the conclusion of a bacterial infection. Did a 25 % water change and did a dose of API Triple Sulfa. Already the tiger is getting his vibrant color back, using the clamped fin, and swimming around and nibbling on some food, but then returns to hiding. I have three more doses to do before the medication is finished.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

75 gal, 1 yr, 4 discus ( 2-2.5 and 2 3.5), 2 cory, 8 tetra, recently lost a 2.5 discus

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Tank has been running for a year, gravel bottom, water is aged

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____ usually 82, bumped to 86

- ph _____ 7.5

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ usually 0, .25 this morning

- well water ____no

- municipal water ____ yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently: one cory

genski84
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM

genski84
01-11-2012, 10:55 AM

TURQ64
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
since you started treatment with a med already, I wouldn't add anything else. Cross medicating can be funky.I'd up the wc's (I think this could have been cleared up with larger frequent wc's)..and lower the temp, as bacterial issues bloom with higher temps, and Discus' range is already up there..Let's see what the full triple treatment accomplishes..Gary

genski84
01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Temp dropped to 84. That should be good?

TURQ64
01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
better, but I'd shoot for 82-83...

Skip
01-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Tank has been running for a year, gravel bottom, water is aged

you didnt answer

deepflyball
01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
They need a PP treat right now. Jerry

genski84
01-11-2012, 05:09 PM
25% Every other day. What's PP treat?

Skip
01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
25% Every other day. What's PP treat?

for now.. you need to up it to 50% Everyday.. clean water clears most problems..

there have been several threads with people have different problems with their fish.. and after a few days.. of UPPING water changes.. its all cleared up!

potassium permanganate is PP.. search it.. its good stuff

genski84
01-11-2012, 11:18 PM
71438Ok I can see the slime coat healing on my tiger discuss but now another one is developing teeny tiny little white spots on his fins. None if the others have this. They are actually on the fish to the far left, But they are so small you cannot see them. The spots that are on the dark fish is what they look like exceot they are only on the fins. At the moment I cannot do a water change due to medicated water. Freaking out now......

Skip
01-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Well, forget the meds.. those fish need clean water asap!

genski84
01-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Should I do like an 80% change and still do the PP? I read something about Jungle Clearwater. Main ingredient is PP. Should I do this or stick to the straight stuff? And just to make sure, I am taking the fish out if the tank while doing this our no?

genski84
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Just read something that says to get "jungle Clearwater". Its the active ingredient. Get this or just PP?

jimg
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
continue what you are doing do major wc's between treatments. no pp

Skip
01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
continue what you are doing do major wc's between treatments. no pp

+1.. make sure WC don't do the trip.. BEFORE adding chemcials..

ShinShin
01-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I would never use PP. In this case I would be doing a minimum 50% daily water change and using formalin/malachite green daily after the water change. This isn't ich, btw.

Mat

genski84
01-16-2012, 12:44 AM
That is the best advice yet! Fish are happy! Thanks! All color returned and spots gone! :)