PDA

View Full Version : 220 show tank

mirador
01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Hello All

I have an observation,not new,that,still, you may find of note.
I have two new groups of young 3 inch discus. They are two different f1 wild crosses which I intended to grow up for awhile in a 55 bare bottom tank..for awhile at least. Due to various misadventures on their arrival involving the need for them to have adult "baby sitters" to ease extreme fright, and then the fact that the perfectly healthy "baby sitters" ( just a pair that i have had around for a couple of years) gave them an hexemita/whatever attack, I split them up into two 55 gallon bare tanks with 6 babies in one with one "sitter" who is still needed and 8 of the other group with the other sitter. This is what i am doing to maintain them. They are healthy now.

1. 50% to 70% water change with treated RO water per day
2. Siphon removal of feces before and after feeding, which seems necessary ( they poop a lot) and this amount to about 5 or 6 siphonings a day (it's easy enough).
3. Sometimes,if I have a lot of water in my storage units ,I'll just do an extra water change while I'm happen to be around/.
4. I clean the glass,razor blade the bottom,and wipe things off routinely

It works OK

However,they are going into a big planted tank, ( one day)and all this extreme water change /siphoning essentially ends. I know that they will be more adult and less fed,but,still,I don't see how they will adjust. I mean,I won't be able to siphon anywhere near as effectively and I certainly can't change 110 gallons of water daily as it is hard to make that much water and it is actually really time consuming even to pump in 110 gallons into a tank. I'd say the future brings say 6 of these fish in the 220 (just low biolode)..that's it..not many tank mates at all ( cleaned up like crazy),not dense plants at all and 50% water change every 4 days.

So,what do other people find?
BTW The aforementioned baby sitter pair were formerly in another 180 gal planted tank: they did not like the plants(too many),
did not compete well with their few tank mates (a school of 50 cardinals that could actually move them away from the food, and the male of the pair got nervous right on time if i didn't water change by 6,not 7,days.
THanks for your thoughts