PDA

View Full Version : New member here!

Mep1127
01-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Hey all I'm starting my first discus tank this friday and pretty excited! I was doing intense research for months before I even considered purchasing them. I have 5 Juvies coming to me on friday. I always came here to browse the simply discus forum to have most, if not all my questions on discus keeping answered . I decided it was time to join as my would be tank is finally going to see action on friday. Just thought I'd take time to introduce myself here. Hopefully when I go to pick them up I can post some pics later on. I'm sure I'll meet other keepers on this forum to pass down their knowledge. Anywho in the mean time anybody recommend a good dry food? I have some omega one flakes but I was looking at hikari bio gold pellets and ocean nutrition discus flakes. They both seem good, any feedback is appreciated!

- Mario

mrblah00
01-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Welcome Mario! You have come to the right place to have your questions answered! As for a dry food, i like to feed freeze dried black worms. I but them from Al in the sponsor section.
Hope this helps,
Sam

4discus
01-11-2012, 12:28 AM
I used omega products for a while but now use Ocean Nutrition Formula One "Flakes" and Hikari Blood worms. It has low Phosphorous and appears to have good stuff. The only trouble I had at first was making sure I didnt over feed. If your fish dont eat everything in a few min then you could risk algae. I had no trouble with algae and the omega products. IMO the fish look and eat better on Ocean Nutrition so I use it.

chaoslite
01-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Welcome to Simply, Mario! I feed Beef Heart Flake which I get from Bill who is a sponsor here on Simply plus a multitude of other things including FDBW from Al. Can't wait to see pictures of your discus.

Mishka

bassmasterrob
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
welcome im new to and cant wait to get my first pair of discus

Mep1127
01-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks all...unfortunately The discus that i'm supposed to receive tomorrow are going to be held off for a bit. I bought mine from rocky mountain discus (Al the breeder is an extremely nice man by the way) and up where he is located there's a storm heading, So by next week I should be receiving them if all is well. I look forward to posting picks and talking to more members!