PDA

View Full Version : is this a concern

Bud
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
I ve raised these guys from lil juvies with 100% w/cs daily since Ive had them.This ones fins look to be a little ragged and 2 of the others fins have what looks to be a notch,kinda "split".Is this concerning or norm?

Northwoods Discus
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Concerning not normal. Some type of fin rot? Do you age your water for water changes? You are doing large enough changes but something is causing the fins to be abnormal. Water hardness calcium levels?

Maria Ashton
01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
What causes fin rot? Am wondering if one of mine has it

Bud
01-11-2012, 05:35 PM
yes I age and my water starts out at 7 and ends up at 8.3!!(or more colored liquid test)cant remember gh,kh levels I checked them last year and test kit expired,so I threw it out(think Ill go and get a new kit tonight) but tds is 240-250

ShinShin
01-11-2012, 08:44 PM
What are you feeding your discus? I have seen pics in disease books showing discus with dorsal and anal fins like your fish's fins that were suffering from malnutrition as a result of poor diet OR parasites. Your discus appears otherwise healthy. Tapeworms? Are live or frozen CBW's in the picture at all?

Mat

ShinShin
01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Maria,

Pseudomonas and aeromonas are the two main bacteria causing fin rot.

Mat

Bud
01-12-2012, 12:03 AM
CBW?(bloodworms)and yes I do feed that!I also feed ocean nutrition formula one and omega one,both marine with garlic.More input would greatly be appreciated!Oh and feces look good.When I got these fish a year ago they weren't doin real well(white feces,ect)I metroed and all cleared up and theyve been doin great, then slowly this.AND I really don't like the quality of our water(small community),if we put clean dishes on a dish towel on the counter, the towel smells horribly musty in a matter of hours???!!

ShinShin
01-12-2012, 12:20 AM
CBW - California Blackworms. The Ocean Nutrition, is it frozen or flake?

Bud
01-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Ahhh yes,blackworms(been off the forum for a year,lost lingo):)But I really suspect my water(far from an expert though)Used to be very high in iron,they installed a huge iron filter,I wonder if it colonizes alot of bacteria ,they also clorinate the crap out of it(I age it,obviously)Ro time?