PDA

View Full Version : Do heat packs expire?

BrandyK
01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Do heat packs expire? I'm going threw boxes of fish stuff and I came across some 60 hour heat packs that I brought a few years ago. I opened one and no heat opened a 2nd and no heat? It don't say anything on the package about expiring. I don't really care I have ones that I just brought a few months ago but god only know how old they really are. :confused:

chrisb01
01-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't use them if they are old. I would not trust them after about six weeks. Even new ones can malfunction.

I know, believe me. I very recently went to a very bad experience, were the heat packs, even though brand new, were in question. This has affected me so bad, that I'm thinking of not shipping fish at all during the winter months.

Heat packs are an insurance, but not full proof. However, I wouldn't take a chance with old heat packs. Especially if it is fish you really care for.

BrandyK
01-14-2012, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=chrisb01;845881]I wouldn't use them if they are old. I would not trust them after about six weeks. Even new ones can malfunction.

I threw out the old ones. But even with new ones you don't really know how long they have been sitting around before you got them.

John_Nicholson
01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Yes they do. Anything over a year old I would be careful with.

-john

Chicago Discus
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
They sure in hell do......be very careful shipping you guys to the the colder states I'm not going to ship in jan-feb to risky IMO.............Josie