PDA

View Full Version : Plant question

neon
01-14-2012, 11:46 PM
I have a 55gal tank which I have two live sword plants. I would like add a few more plants. I was thinking of the following micro sword, redflame sword,and baby tears. Maybe madagascar lace plant. Has anyone grown a madagascar lace in a discus tank if so how did it do? :)

pcsb23
01-15-2012, 06:46 AM
... Has anyone grown a madagascar lace in a discus tank ...well, yes and no .... tried one in a densely planted tank and failed miserably. Tried a little later using the plant as a centrepiece in a lightly planted tank (just some annubias and some Jave fern) and lots of water changes and it did much better. Doesn't like crowding or poor water quality - bit like discus really ;).

mandell
03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
redflame sword is nice, as well as baby tears but the tears requires high light in the tank if you don't already have high light 4 to 5 watts a gal you will just be tossing your money away, I have 3.5 watts a gal and could not get it to live for the life of me and as for madagascar I only tryed to grow from bulb wich did not work out too well for me.

SeaDragon
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Ive tried swords a couple times, always melted. Never tried the lace though. Anubias grows great in my tanks, along with Frogbit.

Sent from my Styrofoam fish box fort using Tapatalk

Harriett
03-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Lace swords seem to only do well with CO2 from my experience and then it's kind of iffy. It's quite a fragile plant.
Harriett

Wahter
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
The thing about the Madagascar lace plant is that it is an Aponogeton and many of them are used to a dormancy period. Some people literally take out the entire plant tuber/ rhizome during it's dormancy period so it can rest.

Here's some more info.
http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=089

Hope that helps,

Walter

Greenheinie
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Baby tears and lace are pretty demanding plants which won't do so well without CO2/good light/nutrients. Maybe you can keep them alive for a while, but they just won't thrive...nor will your discus if you do introduce high CO2, NPK, etc. High temps will be another obstacle.

My dwarf baby tears just kept dieing in my discus tank, but have carpeted nicely in a 20g at 74f, co2, nutrients, blah blah blah.