PDA

View Full Version : New wilds tank

neon
01-16-2012, 04:28 AM
I got two tefes from john last week and they are in my 29 QT for right now. But will be moved to my 55. Anyway I was thinking of getting rid of my tank raised discus. To keep nothing but wilds. My tank has sand and driftwood, some live plants. Should I just stick to one type of wilds or would it be ok to mix different types of wild together? I would like to have a total of six discus and be done with stocking. Any ideas or suggtions would help.

:fish:

NanDiscus
01-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Neon,

It is possible to mix different types of wilds, but it's not highly advised. Since you are so very limited on space you should probably stick to getting 2-3 more Tefés and maybe 4-5 Cory cats to keep the sand moving. A set-up of 6 adult discus for a 55 leaves you with a VERY narrow margin for errors.

Nandi

neon
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok I will get 3 more Tefes and 5 cory cats. Will this be to many fish for a 55gal?

NanDiscus
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Ok I will get 3 more Tefes and 5 cory cats. Will this be to many fish for a 55gal?

See... It is just my opinion, but I would not keep wild discus in a 55gal tank at all. The reason is very similar to why people keep ara parrots in big cages or in voliers. Especially more of them. You can keep them alive quite long in a small space but then you will more than likely be dealing with different issues. It is all about stress. You can give them brilliant food, you can keep them in water like no other and still, they will not be happy. After QT my 7 wild Xingús lived in 85gallons. They were quite young yet almost fully grown when they arrived and after a few months (!) they settled in well with me. (I say with me is because it took ME a few months to figure the water and food that they preferred.) Once everything was on the right track, things started to go a little wrong. :) Not too bad, just annoying. Like the last 2 fish in the pecking order got bullied too much, they couldn't eat properly and sustained several minor injuries which they had to deal with in the confines of just a gallon's worth of waterspace between them. They were not sick, had no worms, no white poo, nothing that should call for treatment, still... they looked like parc backwards. Then I got the 240 and moved them over. I think you saw the results of it. ;)
Back to the original question, whether the 5+5 would be too much for 55 gallons? No, you can give it a try. And while they're in it, go and get a bigger tank. ;)

Nandi

Darrell Ward
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Wilds never seem really comfortable in smallish tanks, although they will survive. Personally, I would never use anything under 150 gals, more being better. You can keep different wilds together once they are all adapted to the same water conditions, many people choose to keep them apart for different reasons. I currently keep 4 strains of wilds together (including Heckels) in a 240 gal. with a 55 gal. sump, because I needed to cut back on tanks. I've experienced no problems long term by doing so.

Aznman1
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I totally agree Darrell Ward and Nandi I currently have 4 curuai wilds in a 55 Gallon for QT, and then they will go into my 180. They look so cramped in there, but I cant wait until I can put them into the big boy tank :) I'm also getting some Heckel crosses next month! Stay tuned!

neon
01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
I want to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank. Or a 50gal would be good it's 36x18x19 but wider then the 55?

Second Hand Pat
01-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I would go for the 75 :)

Brokenrack
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Yoy could definatly get a six footer (125g ect.)on craigslist for less that a 75 new prob. about the same as a new 55.

Brokenrack
01-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Here's a link to one in roseville 130gallon with stand for 150 bucks gona need resealed but you can't beat the price for a little work.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/2781355891.html
Scott

neon
01-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks I will contact the people and see from there.

Brokenrack
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Ther are prob. more I just quickley look some up. If your gonna repair one make sure your up to it.