PDA

View Full Version : PP a discus tank with rummy nose tetra

laupao
01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Hi Fellow SD members,

I would like to add some rummy nose to my discus only BB tank. If in the event that I PP the discus tank with the rummy nose, how will the rummy nose handle it?

Has anyone done this before?
My current tank is 86 degrees.. Will the rummy nose handle that temp ok??

Please share your experience.

Thanks so much

PAR23
01-19-2012, 12:18 PM
I keep Rummy in 84-85F and they do just fine. I don't know the answer to your PP question....Sorry

DonMD
01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I think the rummy nose will be fine if you PP your tank. The danger is an overdose that will damage the sensitive tissues of the gills, and your discus are just as likely to suffer from that as the rummy nose.

ShinShin
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I won't use PP. Just curious as to why you are doing so?

Mat

MSD
01-19-2012, 04:30 PM
PP is ultra strong and a last resort at best. I used it with great sucess on some discus AT THE advice of the seller. I used it on a different group on my own and it didn't work out so good. Better never to breathe or touch the stuff for your own health.

laupao
01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
PP is what was used in the past to deal with external parasites.

What steps I need to take in a QT tank to quarantine the rummy nose correctly before adding to discus tank?

PAR23
01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Read this Sticky

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21044-Quarantine-*questions...

Discus Origins
01-20-2012, 11:53 AM
PP is not first choice for meds especially for ones newer to the varieties of meds. Dosage concentration is very important and wouldn't try to mess with it unless you have a digital scale that will measure down to grams and milligrams.

That being said, have done so in past to clean out an established tank with fish prior to adding discus. rummy noses, cardinal tetras, Cory sterbais at 84 degrees all survived the 24hr treatment no problems. Must have additional sources of aeration in tank.

You can QT rummy noses just by observing for a couple weeks make sure they all eat and aren't exhibiting any signs of external parasites. Most of them are farm raised now but can still have parasites. I like to use Clout to clean them after quarantine before adding to tank.

mike046
01-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi Don.. I'm going threw the same situation with some Cardnals and rummys I spoke to one of the sponsors and he told me to add quick cure to my QT tank after 3 days I could remove one of my dislike discus and add him in and see his reaction.

deepflyball
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
I have 140 rummys in my main tank with my discus. i just love the big school moving back and forth in my tank. I tried to pp in a small 29 gal with a discus ans thats why i only have 140 in stead of 150 Jerry