PDA

View Full Version : Altum tempttion: should I?

DiscusBR
01-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Hi all,

I have a 80g tank with 7 wild Cuipeua discus and small size tankmates (cories and lemon tetras). I went to a LFS today and they had a few beautiful and big wild Altums. It is not easy to find them here in Rio de Janeiro. So I got very, very tempted to get 3 of the altums. I am however afraid of overstocking my tank, a common mistake I did when I started in the hobby a long time ago. Moreover, I travel frequently and the bigger the bioload, bigger are the chances of problems. So, what do you think? Would 7 discus and 3 altums be fine in a 80g? Would that be a dangerous overstocking? Any takes?

Thanks in advance.

nikond70s
01-20-2012, 05:07 AM
seems kinda crowded but just keep the tank clean and keep up with waterchange. if you can do that then you will be ok in my opinion.

DLock3d
01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Fight the temptation. Wait until you have more space or you travel less. I know how much you enjoy your fish, why chance a disaster?

DiscusBR
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
seems kinda crowded but just keep the tank clean and keep up with waterchange. if you can do that then you will be ok in my opinion.

Thanks. The problem is that I cannot keep the WC schedule during my frequent trips :(

Fight the temptation. Wait until you have more space or you travel less. I know how much you enjoy your fish, why chance a disaster?

Yeah, you are right... I do love my 7 Cuipeuas and they have finally adapted well. But when I see a video like the one below it just increases my temptation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopfnhcTh8A&list=HL1327077313

Beautiful. And it looks like that it is also a 80g. I have to stop looking at wild dsicus/altum tanks...