PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves?

MOdiscus
01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I've been reading lots of good things about using mangroves as both a biological mineral/nitrate/phosphate sink, and as a sort of natural cover for the discus (roots hanging down). Has anyone tried mangrove seedlings/trees in either a tank or in a refugium? I'd love to hear how they worked (or didn't, if that's the case) for you.

Parrish
01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I have not tried it. However, the Tampa Bay area is an Estuary and we have Mangroves (both types; black and red) everywhere. The mangrove seed looks like a hard pointed green bean. They drop into the sand and sprout leaves. It would take quite awhile for it to grow to a size that would have the branching root system.

Also, I am not sure if the Mangrove would require a salt water or brackish water to thrive.

Darrell Ward
01-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Mangroves have to be acclimated to fresh water. I had a couple of them a long time ago, but they died after 6 months or so. They don't seem to do that well without strong lighting.

AngryBird
01-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Mangroves tolerate salt water/brackish water but they don't need salt/backwater to thrive. They will grow better with water with good nutrition. I am not an expert but I have learnt about mangroves when I was in India.

MOdiscus
01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I am under the impression that they have to have been sprouted in the type of water they are to be kept in- I.e. salt has to be kept in salt it's whole life and v.v. I've been looking at just buying some seedlings on eBay.