PDA

View Full Version : interesting thing happen this morning.

down2earth
01-21-2012, 09:11 PM
i woke up and look in my discus tank. i found the bottom of the tank is covered in brown algae. i know this took a few days to grow. i got to reading about it and the cause of this is high nitrates in my tank. i do WC every 48hours. so i dont think its from me not doing water changes.

oh yeah my discus fish are not sick. they are healthy and fine. i just was wondering why my bristle nose pleco died. so i got to lookin at the tank closer.

i also read that new glass aquariums leach the chemicals that promote this brown algae.

i just got a new 40 gal breeder tank about 1-2 weeks ago. the filters came from a tank that was cycled for about 8 months. so i know its not my filters. i also added a tank that will later on act as a sump. but right now it has only a sponge filter and heater in it. this filter was in the 40 gal till i installed all the plumbing for the sump to work.

also i kinda dont know what to put in this sump but ill post that in the DIY forum.

what do i do ?

mdlman99
01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Happened to me too on all my old/new established tanks. Possibly do to phosphates in the water I just scrubbed down my tanks and upped the water changes. The BA problem was pretty much controlled after that. Good luck to ya!