PDA

View Full Version : Pleco and Discus Compatibility

LiquidBlue
01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I know it has been debated some, but I was wondering if my conditions would be okay.

I have 5 discus, 3 cories, some apple snails, and a peacock eel in a PLANTED tank, which is getting some brown algae, but nothing major. In my Oscar tank, I have an 8 inch common pleco and was wanting to take that and put it in my bigger discus tank.

This pleco seems to be very passive. The Oscar will sometimes bite at him when he is in a bad mood, and the pleco simply swims to the other side.

Would my plants and discus be safe with a common pleco? The discus are a decent size, and I would be able to feed the pleco fresh veggies.

j123
01-23-2012, 10:35 PM
I've had tanks in the past with discus and assortments of plecos with no problems. One pleco grew to almost 2 feet long in a 75 gal with about 8 discus. I never had a problem with him or the other plecos.

Currently, I have a 55 gal with 4 discuses in it. About a year ago, I purchased a cute 2" pleco from Petsmart for a couple dollars. Of course, it has turned into a foot long monster fish. This pleco started getting quite an attitude about 6 months ago, and he would savagely attack the discus at feeding time.

I put a tank divider in the tank and kept the pleco by himself for about a month. I don't think he liked that very much. I removed the divider and let him loose again after the month period. Every since his confinement in solitary, he has been the model citizen in the aquarium. A very nice fishy.

Years ago when I had my fish room, any fish that bulled others, I would just put in with my Red Devil for about 1 minute. That cured most attitude problems.

Squidman
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I had an albino bushynose (3") for about a year with my discus, one morning I came down and found a big round mark on the side of my biggest Blue Diamond. Mr. Bushy was summarily dismissed from the tank. He now resides in my daughters 38G community tank and is quite happy. Scooby, the discus who was assaulted, recovered quickly and is fine, but no more plecos with discus for me. I should note that I have never had a pleco attack a discu in a planted tank. Mr. Bushy only turned to the dark side after all the fish were moved to a BB tank with one large piece of driftwood.

qiyanfeng
01-24-2012, 12:34 PM
I would say YMMV. Try and watch it. You'll get the answer. Just like some people can get along with anybody well, some people not. It a little bit depends on what type of pleco from what I heard. But, biologically, case by case. My common pleco is tough when I feed my discus because it wants to grab some food. But when it found there's nothing for him, it swims away. It never bother my discus.

DerekFF
01-24-2012, 12:35 PM
When they're that big they're so lazy it doesn't matter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

typicalalex1
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I have an 8 Inch Pleco in my tank and they get on fine with each other.
As long as the discus stay away from the Plecos 'Spot' they are fine.
It doesnt do them any harm, it just gives them a nudge and they move.

The only problem i have is with plants. It doesnt eat them but it just swims through them and causes them damage.

It doesnt bother me too much but i dont think i would get another one again with discus and plants.

Moon
01-24-2012, 05:08 PM
In general the smaller BN plecos do not bother discus. The common pleco often attaches to the sides of the discus to feed on the boly slime. Plecos are active at night and this may disturb sleeping discus.

John_Nicholson
01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Bristle nose yes, all others no....in general terms. There are always exceptions.

-john

damba
01-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I have four 18" titan plecs
They will never go anywhere near my discus period. I dont trust any plecs with discus dont want to risk it.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

gerrard00
01-26-2012, 09:58 AM
In my experience, BNPs poop a ton. I can't imagine how much the larger plecos poop!