PDA

View Full Version : Blue Diamond not Eating and Dark

manny2004
01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

--Started about three weeks ago, when my blue diamond lost appetite. Which is very unusual as this Discus is normally the bully of the group and always making sure it eats before the rest. I had been feeding them all frozen blood-warms, tetra bits, and beef heart.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

--The discus is very dark, seems to have lost slime coat and sometimes is seen on top of the tank tail standing with white segmented poop.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

--Used parasite clear tabs at the recommended dosage of 1tab for every 10US gallons, i have a 55 gallon with total 5 Discus in it, so i dosed the entire tank. Every other day completed 50% water change and redosed for full 2 weeks. During which time saw no change.

--The local dealer who i had purchased the Discus from recommended Tinidazole Tablets 500MG after seeing the above didnt work and provided me with the dose. The dosage was to complete 50 percent water change and dose with three tablets, wait three days and complete another 50% water change and redose. this was to be done only twice. No change yet, discus seems exactly the same, the others in the tank are all normal and eating like pigs.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

--55 US GAL which has been established for three years with 5 4.5" to 5" Discus, fully planted with compressed co2 running on timer with lights.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

--Water change when no treatment is being done in the tank is 90% twice a week. Substrate is eco-complete and water change is straight from the TAP with the addition of PRIME.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __30 Degrees

- ph ___7.0

- ammonia reading ____0-0.25

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

- well water ____N/A

- municipal water ____N/A

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No recent addition to the tank.

zimmjeff
01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
what is your filtration? ammonia could be a problem.

Moon
01-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Your ammonia should be 0. Check your water again and make sure your tank has cycled.
Is the BD the only fish showing symptoms that you described?

manny2004
01-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Filtration is a canister fluval 404, after rechecking Amonia with another test kit is showing 0 as well.

Moon, currently the BD is the only Discus which is showing symptoms and has been for last three plus weeks.

Moon
01-27-2012, 01:15 PM
You might try to isolate the fish in a BB tank and treat with Metro. The dosage is 400mg per 10g. Increase the temp to about 90 and treat every 8 hours for 4 treatments.
HTH

deepflyball
01-27-2012, 01:26 PM
isolate the fish is right. Can you or have you used pp before?? because thats what i would do. head standing has always ment parosites with my fish Good luck Jerry

manny2004
01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
You might try to isolate the fish in a BB tank and treat with Metro. The dosage is 400mg per 10g. Increase the temp to about 90 and treat every 8 hours for 4 treatments.
HTH

Do i complete a water change before i redose in 8 hours?

manny2004
01-27-2012, 01:32 PM
isolate the fish is right. Can you or have you used pp before?? because thats what i would do. head standing has always ment parosites with my fish Good luck Jerry

No i have never had experience using PP, nor do i know a reliable sourse to find some.

Moon
01-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Do i complete a water change before i redose in 8 hours?
50% will do

PAR23
01-27-2012, 06:12 PM
I would also go with the metro and skip the PP for now.......Sounds like an internal issue.

manny2004
01-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I would also go with the metro and skip the PP for now.......Sounds like an internal issue.

Thanks i will do the metro first and report.

manny2004
01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Hi,

Got my hands on a 10GAL which i have QT'd the BD in as of yesturday morning. I have been dosing at 400mg of Metro every 8 hours with Temp of approx 90 degrees. So far two dosage have been applied will follow for total of 4 treatments. As of right now no visable change to the BD.

Manny

Moon
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
After the final treatment keep the temp up for a few days. You can also introduce some of it's fav food at that time.

manny2004
01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
After the final treatment keep the temp up for a few days. You can also introduce some of it's fav food at that time.

Thanks Moon, will do and will keep everyone updated.

manny2004
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Okay so after 4 solid treatments of metro at 400mg/ 10gal the BD has stopped tail standing and the colour has returned. However has not started eating anything. I have tried different type of diet with no luck.

I will try to post a picture tonight for all to see.

Should i continue with the Metro for another few days?

PAR23
02-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I would treat for total of 10 days. Give it time, she will come around. Maintain the high temp (92F) even after medicating is over for another week or so.

Mauricio
02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
In some cases (when Metro not aply), after examination in microscope, I have used levamisol (anthelminthic and immunomodulator) with excellent results.

Success.