PDA

View Full Version : snail problem!!!!!

aztecdiscus
01-27-2012, 03:42 AM
Hi guys I have a snail problem in my fish tank and ibeen trying to remove them manually but they keep on reproducing like rats lol. Does enyone can help me or tellme how to eliminate them from my tank I believe the are wt they call trumphet snails... Any advice is welcome and helpful.

Orange Crush
01-27-2012, 03:56 AM
If you have an overpopulation of malaysian trumpet snails (or any snails really) then there is either too much food and/or algae in the tank. If you can eliminate that then they will stop reproducing like they are. Since they hide during the day I would put some lettuce or other veggie in the tank at night then before your lights turn on in the morning remove the veggie with all of the snails on it and repeat. You will prob never get rid of them all but you can reduce the amount of them.
Personally I like them. I have some in one of my tanks that has a thick amount of sand on the bottom since they stir it when they bury in the sand. I never have to worry about anerobic bacterial growth in the substrate.

aztecdiscus
01-27-2012, 04:28 AM
The problem is not that I dont like them but I wanna make a carpet bottom and snails will mess all my work so I dont want that to happen

Orange Crush
01-27-2012, 04:30 AM
A carpet of what?

aztecdiscus
01-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Riccia

Orange Crush
01-27-2012, 05:42 AM
That will be pretty. Which kind of Ricca?
Is your concern about it being able to get rooted with the snails in the tank?

aztecdiscus
01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Riccia fluitian, yes , because in a past experience i had a picre of driftwood with drawft bbu tears growing on it but the snails gt underneat in between the plant and the wood and they endup removing the plant out of the driftwood

Parrish
01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I have heard that "assasin" snails are good for killing off other snails, and that the assasin snails have an extremely low reproduction rate.

You can also try to suction the snails out while doing your water changes.

I used to think snails were cute until I got infected with them from plants purchased at my aquarium club meeting. :(
Now I throw the darn things into my pond for the Tilapia and wading birds to eat.

aztecdiscus
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Im not trying to put other snails on,the,tank,how about,adding loaches,to keep,the,population low.... But wt kind,of,loaches,would,be

Orange Crush
01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Im not trying to put other snails on,the,tank,how about,adding loaches,to keep,the,population low.... But wt kind,of,loaches,would,be

Yo yo or clown but the yo yo get to be 6" and the clown get to be over a foot long. They need to be kept in groups too.

jimg
01-27-2012, 09:32 PM
good flubendazole.......no more snails

Len
01-28-2012, 12:22 AM
good flubendazole.......no more snails

+1 When I treated with vermisol, every snail was gone.

aztecdiscus
01-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Where do i get that at, it wont affect my plants or fishes right?

MOdiscus
01-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm actually trying to build in a population of trumpet snails... they aerate the substrate, and they consume leftover detritus from the plants without harming the live ones. Have you considered tying down your plants that are being bothered?
That being said, if you cut down the excess nutrients and detritus in the tank, the population will balance itself out very quickly (they are self regulating), probably to the point that your plants will not be bothered.
Also, they reproduce via parthenogenesis ("virgin birth"... in other words, if you miss ONE, they will just come back... and breed faster because there is excess food for them!).
I know you said you didn't want other snails, but, honestly, assassin snails are the way to go to get rid of them. My lfs raises trumpet snails to feed to the assassins they have for sale. Since the assassin snails are bigger, once the trumpet snails are gone, you just wait another couple of weeks to be "sure", then pull out the assassin snails. Boom.

jimg
01-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Where do i get that at, it wont affect my plants or fishes right?http://www.igopro-online.com/default.asp for vermisol right now i'm not sure of the flubendazole around the states.uk has kursuri