PDA

View Full Version : Video Update on my Red leopard Juvies.

Addictedtodiscus
01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
http://youtu.be/_kNLDz3ECO4

They are still feeding on beefheart mix, NLS discus pellets, tetra flakes, live blackworms and tetra granuals. they are growing very nicely! they've grown almost an inch since the last video. Also they've been in this 55 gallon tank for the past couple weeks. Thanks for viewing!;)

Northwoods Discus
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
They look very healthy and have a ravenous appetite. Good job with them.

rdiscus
01-27-2012, 03:24 PM
look like Red Turquois to me

PAR23
01-27-2012, 06:05 PM
They should grow out nicely. Congrats

Addictedtodiscus
01-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Red turquoise really? You might actually be right. But i assume they have some kind of leopard spotting on them, and the breeder told me they were leopards. However, as they grow their patterns are becoming more visable and red turquoise is very possible. What do you guys think they are for sure?

vizkid2005
01-28-2012, 08:25 AM
@addicted to discus ..

Dude how often do u clean out the sponge on the filters ???

TURQ64
01-28-2012, 08:50 AM
look like Red Turquois to me

Same here. Leopards I've had didn't color up until they were larger; slow....

Sean Buehrle
01-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Red turquoise really? You might actually be right. But i assume they have some kind of leopard spotting on them, and the breeder told me they were leopards. However, as they grow their patterns are becoming more visable and red turquoise is very possible. What do you guys think they are for sure?

You could have gotten some red turqs and some leopards.

Some spotted fish can produce 4 or possibly more types of offspring.

Mine produced turqs, snakes, (spotted snakes, I think) leopards and a fish that has no bars at all yet.

Your fish look really healthy to me, moving fast and eating good.

They are nice shaped too.

Keep up the good work.

Addictedtodiscus
01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys, and i Sean, i think you're right. The breeder had the same situation as you. I went back to his shop and looked at the parents and the female was a red spotted leopard and the father was a blue turquoise. I got some me some crossed breeds...yay! i guess.. I think the mother threw out some ring leopards and snakeskins also on her last batch before she had my batch of fry. Im so determined to get these guys HUGE! and as fast as i can! Thanks for the support.

Addictedtodiscus
01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
@addicted to discus ..

Dude how often do u clean out the sponge on the filters ???

I squeeze those two in the video out every other water change. I have a double stack round sponge filter on the other side of the tank that i squeeze out like twice a month or so...I let that one settle more than the other two, mainly because the other two smaller ones draw the poop and uneaten food to that corner which is easier for me to syphone out the debris. Is there a particular reason you're asking? got me wondering...=D

vizkid2005
01-28-2012, 01:06 PM
@Addictedtodiscus :
My reason to ask was poop .. A lot of poop gets accumulated on the tank floor and doesn`t get succked into the intake manifold for the hang-on-top filter ...
Do you see slime accumulation at the joint edges of glass ie: silicone ??? I can't figure out how do I get rid of slime ....

Addictedtodiscus
01-28-2012, 01:22 PM
I dont expect the HOB filter to pick up all of the poop. I do daily water changes anyways, so i clean most of it up..the HOB filter is just there to build some good bacteria in it and create some flow in the water, and if it does pick floating debris up then thats all i need it for. The slime, im not sure of it, but i do get some slime on the air hose tubeings. and for that i just wipe it off when i do water changes.

jaykne
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Even if the parents were both Leopards does not mean their fry will be Leopard, there are very few strains of domestic discus that breed true. At one time I had 2 pairs of Leopards and only a small percent of the fry developed a nice Leopard pattern like the parents most look more like some kind of turk. But regardless they do look like some very nice healthy, fish and show great potential!!!

ShinShin
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Since leopards are a red turquoise cross, seeing RT's in a spawn is not surprising. With all the crossing going on these days, it is even less surprising to see. Breeders put a lot of time and effort into developing a strain, but there is always someone without a plan diluting it. I do see spotting developing in at least a couple of the fish. They are looking well taken care of, too. Good luck with them.

Mat

Addictedtodiscus
01-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Thank you guys!

Chris2
01-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Great looking Juvis!

gerrard00
01-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Great video! Thanks for posting it. I could watch juvies eating all day.

Addictedtodiscus
02-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Thanks gerrard00! I will have another one up soon...maybe 2 weeks? Im sure they will be a little bigger if not fatter or thicker. =D