PDA

View Full Version : parasite treatment harder than it sounds

mirador
01-27-2012, 05:58 PM
HI
This is what is happening to me.
I purchased a dozen 3 inch F1 from wild parents. They arrived Ok but quickly developed a condition of sheer frozen terror.. It was beleived that they needed a "baby sitter". I introduced a pair of discus I have had around for 2 years. It worked fine..all was calm with no terror. However,the old discus gave the new ones their hidden hexemita/capillaria infection, right on cue. They would have filled the tank with feces if it was not removed multiple times a day.
I treated with pure metro in the water and in the food (most continued to eat )for 8 days. The metro food was a dose put into homemade beefheart mix. That mostly did it,but not all were ok..a couple still would not eat and I could,at times see stringy feces. I redid the whole thing for 10 days. Three were still iffy and I separated them out.
After a couple of days break I did a full in the food and in the water, deworming run for 8 -9 days.( Piperazine)I was a bit negligent in putting the powder in the water right on time..I could have missed some eggs.
9 were eating out of my hand and very bold..three were iffy.
I retreated the three in that other tank with double frequency dose of metro in water and regular in food
Two of three responded but not the third who eats fitfully.
Put the two OK ones back with the main group ( it is actually two main groups as they are in 2 tanks plus the sick tank which now holds only one)......

All is sort of reasonably OK but I swear they are backsliding in the main groups. Feces production has dramatically eased off. There is some new nervousness that is returning and ,some funny looking feces here and there. Eating well. One has always breathed faster than the others.
I know there are metro resistant strains of parasites etc.
So, what might I try next. I plan to do a Prazi treatment for tapeworms /gill flukes soon but that is a different thing. Should I do it all over again but higher dosages metro and then,maybe,a longer perperazine treatment.
Through this all, they are growing Ok..it has been 6 weeks that I have had them.
Thanks for your input

YSS
01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
You can try the heat treatment method if you suspect hex.

TURQ64
01-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Since they are wild f1's, I'd try a heat treatment for at least a week, slow up to maybe 95, stay there a week with a lot of extra air, and come back down slowly..JME

TURQ64
01-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Dang it, Yun..I only type with one finger!

YSS
01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Dang it, Yun..I only type with one finger!

Beat you with my other finger. :-) How about 96?

TURQ64
01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
How about 96?

O.K., I'll let my 'cat' out of the bag..I've run this many a time for wild Discus at around 100 or so for over two weeks...No problems, 'cuz they are wild..
I also raise my wild type fry at about 90 when they are little to keep them healthy and keep the metabolism up..

mirador
01-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi And thanks for the advice.
However, a little clarification would help:
1. My Jaeger/ehiem heaters do not go to 95F..there is no setting. Do I ,just for the treatment,need to get an outside controller for each tank.That's not a bad idea but I'd need two and they are about $60.00 apiece from Jehmco. I use two of them on big tanks and they are good but it's overkill on a 55 gal. Alternately ,will the Jaegers go to 95-96F and just don't indicate it.....and not stick on?

2. Will my blue diamond"baby sitters" handle that heat ok. There is one I each tank and they are necessary to prevent that panic I referred to.

Thanks for your help