PDA

View Full Version : so, I got this problem

Jennie
01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a pair that have spwned abt 8x over the last several weeks. the ritual for these two is they spawn, fan the eggs for a couple days, then the pair start to fight, with the female fighting to keep the male away, because he eats the eggs. so last time I removed the male adter the spawn and the female cared for the eggs and they hatched.. but over the course of 3 days, she ate the fry little by little. This time I've put a guard around the cone..noting today there was arguing once again between the pair. the eggs are set to hatch tomorrow, looks like some did already. I'm worried abt what to do..A. do I leave the guard over the cone for few days, with both parents in the tank? (not sure if the male will eat free swimmers)or B. do I remove her and leave him?? Anyone have this problem before? advice. This is first problem pair I've had

nc0gnet0
01-31-2012, 12:15 AM
Foster them.

Jennie
01-31-2012, 09:16 AM
accidently killed the only good foster parent few weeks ago..just wondering should I leave them protected till they free swim?? may be my only option I guess.

roundfishross
01-31-2012, 09:32 AM
^^^^ I would leave them covered untill free swimming

John_Nicholson
01-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Leave them covered until free swimming. Normally it is the female that eats the fry. Her body is gearing up to spawn again so she eats the current spawn. That is why males are normally the better parent.

-john

Jennie
01-31-2012, 04:03 PM
thank you..