PDA

View Full Version : Best product to treat fry for gill flukes?

iro11a
01-31-2012, 03:12 AM
What is the best medication to use on 6 week old fry for gill flukes i have lost a few and want to get on top of it quickly, i have either prazi or Potossium permanganate?

Thanks jon

Chicago Discus
01-31-2012, 09:16 AM
What is the best medication to use on 6 week old fry for gill flukes i have lost a few and want to get on top of it quickly, i have either prazi or Potossium permanganate?

Thanks jon
I wouldn't use medication on fry that young try adding a little salt

John_Nicholson
01-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I always used formalin for fry. The best thing is to make sure that the pair is fluke free so that the fry never get a chance to get them.

Good luck.

-john

brewmaster15
01-31-2012, 09:44 AM
I always used formalin for fry. The best thing is to make sure that the pair is fluke free so that the fry never get a chance to get them.

Good luck.

-john Same here....either that or I just cull the batch of fry and treat the pair for the flukes and try again.
-al

MostlyDiscus
02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Prazi if I had to choose between the 2 listed. Formalin as well by free choice. PP is hard to control and fry at that age may recieve more damage from the PP than the flukes. Ed

Carolina discus
02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
and make sure you NEVER use PP and formalin together or even after one another...you will certainly loose all the fish in the tank...
pure prazi disolved in a bit of vodka is perfectly safe for the fry at that age....
John and Al's point is to treat the pair prior to carrying fry to eliminate the parents passing anything along...just remember it will take a few weeks as you will need to kill the all the flukes and the eggs....
good luck

scottthomas
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
I have had pretty good luck with formalin also.