PDA

View Full Version : Baby discus dying

Georgios48
01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
40 days old baby discus are dying at a rate of 3-4 per day. I've read that this is a common situation but in my case the bigger ones are dying first. Do you have any idea what causes the death of the bigger fish? Thanks

Chicago Discus
01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
40 days old baby discus are dying at a rate of 3-4 per day. I've read that this is a common situation but in my case the bigger ones are dying first. Do you have any idea what causes the death of the bigger fish? Thanks
can you give a little more back ground?

jimg
01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
if all water parameters are perfect
scope for flukes if you can. meanwhile you could try acriflavin

Georgios48
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
I skipped the usual information as water parameters and changes as I keep discus for 15 years and I raised discus in the past but now I can not explain the death of the bigger fish. Are they more susceptible to parasites or bacteria?

jimg
01-31-2012, 01:01 PM
I skipped the usual information as water parameters and changes as I keep discus for 15 years and I raised discus in the past but now I can not explain the death of the bigger fish. Are they more susceptible to parasites or bacteria?

from what many claim when they get to dime size or bigger is when it seems flukes attack them.when I had flukes it attacked them smaller. could also be intestinal parasites taking time to grow to large enough numbers to effect them.

nc0gnet0
01-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Any symptoms? Going dark, flashing, white poo? Not to try to discredit Jim, as flukes can be a real PITA, but I am of the opinion the majority of fry deaths at this age are usually bacterial in nature.

Georgios48
01-31-2012, 05:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMzTrz7H07E&context=C322eb0cADOEgsToPDskJxMBpbRx12Hr0ZWbUO6vB

I attached a photo of the pair and a Utube link above. As you can see the pair is professionally chosen for breeding. The color and the shape are almost perfect.
These fire red discus never get dark and regarding the pair I don't see any white poo. Obviously I can not see the tiny feces of the baby discus. The only hint I can give you is that mortality is higher in bigger fish (almost double the size of the rest). They don't flash but before they die they become lazy, unstable and drifted by the current

Sean Buehrle
01-31-2012, 06:44 PM
The babies are more than old enough to go into their own tank.

The parents could be killing them at this stage just to get away from them.

Georgios48
01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
The video was shot when the babies were 20 days old, a couple of days before removing them into their own tank. The problems started two weeks later when they became 38 days old

jimg
01-31-2012, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMzTrz7H07E&context=C322eb0cADOEgsToPDskJxMBpbRx12Hr0ZWbUO6vB

I attached a photo of the pair and a Utube link above. As you can see the pair is professionally chosen for breeding. The color and the shape are almost perfect.
These fire red discus never get dark and regarding the pair I don't see any white poo. Obviously I can not see the tiny feces of the baby discus. The only hint I can give you is that mortality is higher in bigger fish (almost double the size of the rest). They don't flash but before they die they become lazy, unstable and drifted by the current

if you don't have a scope try taking one that just died or cull one and take the gills out and see if you can see any movement like a small worm in the gills. could very well be bacterial as Rick says, but when mine had flukes they would drift around in the current also. I have had them die from flukes(bacteria due to flukes) and from bacterial infections but the ones that died from bacterial were only a couple weeks old.
don't get me wrong, they may very well not have flukes, I have just seen what flukes have done to some of mine and it was the first thing that I think of. When they were smaller I used the acriflavin but that was for them dying and no flukes and fin erosion

nc0gnet0
01-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Be nicer to see a video of them when they were sick, as they look pretty healthy in that video, despite the tank needing a serious scrub down.

Jennie
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
what are you feeding them?? any freeze dried blackworms. do they look bloated and struggle to swim?

mmorris
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
I am of the opinion the majority of fry deaths at this age are usually bacterial in nature. I agree. The only time I lose fry is when I slack off on tank maintenance. I do two 80-90% wc's a day on fry tanks, and I wipe down the inside of the tank, plus anything in the tank, daily.

Georgios48
02-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Yes I think they look bloated and some of them struggle to swim, perhaps those that are going to die. I feed them a recipe which I prepared myself (beef heart, shrimps, spinach, flakes, garlic extract etc) 4 times per day. No bloodworms at all

Georgios48
02-01-2012, 05:15 AM
A new video at feeding time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E-PgAvQH1s&feature=youtu.be

Jennie
02-01-2012, 08:26 AM
I only noticed a dieoff in mine when feeding freezedried blackworms. Started soaking them longer. looking at the vid i think there's a bacterial thing goin on. I would treat for bacterial issues, tho at this [point not sure what eefect the illness has taken on them for future growth and if its worth the bother also before you breed the parents again, clean them up