PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do your FDBW sink?

gerrard00
02-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm one of the folks that has never had my FDBWs sink. I've tried soaking them overnight, squeezing them, etc. I wonder if it's just because my water is very soft?

Anyway, if you're bored, please chime in.

gerrard00
02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry for the "Poll: Poll:", I've never made a poll before!

seanyuki
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Over here in Vancouver....the water is extra soft..........imo the FDBW whether is sinking is not a big concern.....when the fish is hungry......they will go to the top to eat...I also feed FDBW.....perhaps get the cube FDBW .

here a video eating Al FDBW.

click picture to view video

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/th_d249cf50.jpg (http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/?action=view&current=d249cf50.mp4)

Orange Crush
02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Things are more boyant in saltwater than freshwater because of the specific gravity being higher and saltwater is far from soft because of all the calcium and other ions. So I would think that FDBW would have more of a chance sinking in softwater. However it seems like the FDBW are rather hollow instead of dense so that will keep them boyant. I just leave my AC HOB on and allow the water to push them down (of course they do float back up but it helps the discus get them). Just make sure you have the intake of your filter covered if you leave it on during feeding.

JenTN
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
My water is very soft, they sink if I pinch them. Of course, they don't get much of a chance...we hold a cube in and get attacked! Good thing discus bites dont hurt! But some do sink for my rams.

Mep1127
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I have pretty soft water, but they still float. they arent hand fed yet, and only 2 will surface feed.. trying to get them to notice my hand as the "feeder"

skennedysocal
02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I get Al's cubes and I smash them against the glass where they just sit for a bit while the fish tear them apart. But as others have said, the fish love them so much they don't seem to care where they are they just attack them :)

MostlyDiscus
02-03-2012, 12:52 AM
I get Al's cubes and I smash them against the glass where they just sit for a bit while the fish tear them apart. But as others have said, the fish love them so much they don't seem to care where they are they just attack them :)
+1

CajunAg
02-03-2012, 01:32 AM
+1

+2 THIS. They actually stick quite well to the glass if you press hard!

Pardal
02-03-2012, 03:57 AM
+3 They will stick and eventually when they become really hydrated they will float but by them the fish will follow and devour them wherever it goes.

gerrard00
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I've tried sticking the cubes to the glass, but that doesn't work for me. My guys are so eager to get at them that they quickly dislodge the cubes which then float to the top and get mixed up with my floating plants. I've tried pressing with as much force as I feel comfortable using, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I've tried pinching them under water. They just float to the top anyway.

I've tried soaking them overnight. Same thing.

The only solution that works for me is to use upside down worm cones.

deepflyball
02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
They used to stick on the glass. But dont now. I still feed them to my adults but not my fry. Jerry