PDA

View Full Version : discus are more aggressive than I thought

Mep1127
02-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I have 4 ( I know, not a good group) discus. though they are divided to prevent aggression, they still seem to want to attack the weakest link ( my blue diamond) thought it was a little nuts since my turq swims fiercely towards him, even though they are divided. anybody seen this behavior with your discus. I know they have a pecking order but geez, I HAD to divide them for now

BTW im waiting on kenny to buy 2 more discus, so I can have that magic 6

coming from an angelfish keeper, discus are beautiful and love mine ( 3 weeks now with them) . only thing is they spook easy and are slighty more demanding..but thats the fun in keeping them, the challenge and watching your effort pay off.

Cabe
02-02-2012, 10:06 PM
It helps if they are the same size, but they are definately cichlids :-) I find even with a good number like six, there is some agression when it comes to eating, but much less than when I had only four a previous time.

Mep1127
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
It helps if they are the same size, but they are definately cichlids :-) I find even with a good number like six, there is some agression when it comes to eating, but much less than when I had only four a previous time.

interesting... im a little nervous to let the blue diamond when I get the new discus. very scared, but has a good personality...only one who gets excited to see me lol

damba
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
How big is the tank? More than six would be better.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

mi-ko
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone. I have 4 inch discus in 60gallon tank and 2 of them are at each other all the time. The other 2 are no so aggressive. I am concerned that one of the fighting fish is losing his territory and being pushed back in a small area. Should I add 2 more discus and that might stop them from fighting?

Sachio

damba
02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I would add another six and thin them down as they grow. In my experience juvis are feisty but adults are calmer apart from the odd bit of shouting.

Mep1127
02-03-2012, 04:39 PM
How big is the tank? More than six would be better.

they are in a 55 for now

Mep1127
02-03-2012, 05:16 PM
how can I relieve skittish behavior is what I wonder.. my albino platinum freaked out bad today, he seemed stunned.for a few.seconds but.is ok for now. I dont want him to stress anymore, could it be my lights? they are pretty wrak though..

JenTN
02-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Im brand new here..I started with two..both were skittish, one stayed behind the filter, dark. I added a group of 8- the "filter guy" is the boss of the tank..he stays out and colors up all the time.

Mep1127
02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Im brand new here..I started with two..both were skittish, one stayed behind the filter, dark. I added a group of 8- the "filter guy" is the boss of the tank..he stays out and colors up all the time.

biggest discus which was my most docile suddenly freaks out now. im waiting on kenny to order 2 or more, my pearl pigeon is becoming the boss lol. for now water changes is all I can do to keep my discus happy. ill try adding salt maybe that will soothe them.

Texas Blue
02-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the Forum, looking forward to learning from you all! I have a 60 gallon live planted tank. My discus population has been only TWO the past several years; also a school of mature cardinals, some cories & Siamese algae eaters. (FYI the discus pair have repeatedly eaten their eggs, and I'm not really willing to work that issue...). SO, I'd like to add 4 new discus - they'd be quite smaller than my big pair. Any suggestions about how to ensure a happy outcome for the new, bigger group? Thanks!

Mep1127
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the Forum, looking forward to learning from you all! I have a 60 gallon live planted tank. My discus population has been only TWO the past several years; also a school of mature cardinals, some cories & Siamese algae eaters. (FYI the discus pair have repeatedly eaten their eggs, and I'm not really willing to work that issue...). SO, I'd like to add 4 new discus - they'd be quite smaller than my big pair. Any suggestions about how to ensure a happy outcome for the new, bigger group? Thanks!

I'm new too, but from what I've been reading you should consider getting discus of around the same size...if you wanted to get smaller and wanted to grow them out its difficult to do so in a planted tank. I thought siamese eaters got aggressive and shouldnt be kept with discus?

Texas Blue
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks, my "fish store" didn't think the Siamese algae eaters would be a problem and I haven't seen any sign of aggression toward the discus...so is your opinion that if I buy 4 new discus they should be about same size as the (big) pair I have now? Thanks!

Mep1127
02-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks, my "fish store" didn't think the Siamese algae eaters would be a problem and I haven't seen any sign of aggression toward the discus...so is your opinion that if I buy 4 new discus they should be about same size as the (big) pair I have now? Thanks!

That would be my guess..to save you the trouble of daily feedings and water changes. I'm growing some out now and I'm constantly feeding and changing water. Bigger discus (adults) dont require as much feedings + you have a planted tank so thats my opinion to a hassle free addition to your tank. But then again..whatever floats your boat :D