PDA

View Full Version : advice on what kind of meds

Bud
02-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Im going to treat for tail and fin rot and I want to know if I should use triple sulfa or the melafix( I dont want to mess with the filter bed at all)!The resident "fish expert"where I buy the meds STRONGLY suggests the melafix claiming it works excellent for such ailment.But I know sulfer drugs are harmless to filter bed,anyone know about the melafix???!!!

dbfzurowski
02-03-2012, 12:50 AM
I've always used Furan-2 for fin rot.

Bud
02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Any marked change in bio filter?The two meds Ive listed dont affect it.My biggest MO.

TURQ64
02-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Acriflavin or Furan 2..your expert likes juju roots

Cevoe
02-03-2012, 08:59 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93899-Furan2-Furanase-Bi-Furan...is-one-more-effective-than-the-others

Bud,
Here is a thread that was recently posted that you might be interested in.
I have had success with Furan 2 along with sticking to the daily routine in treating fin rot.
I have found Melafix to be useless and would'nt even bother with it.

Ardan
02-05-2012, 08:00 AM
I like the furan 2 for mild/mod fin rot. Keep the tank very clean, keep up wc's. If the biofilter is affected, it will bounce back fast after meds are stopped.

hth
Ardan

Bud
02-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanx for advice guys,I always vucuum and do 100% w/cs daily.Ill order the furan 2 tomorrow(gonna be expensive for a 75 with all them w/cs) no takers on triple sulfa?And you know I gotta know pro,whats juju root?

Orange Crush
02-05-2012, 10:38 PM
whats juju root?

Latin Name Cichorium intybus L.
English Name Chicory, Common Chicory
Family & Genus Asteraceae, Cichorium
Pharmacology Juju: anti-bacterial in the central nervous system, pharmacological on astringency. Jujugen: digestion-improving, anti-bacterial, diarrhea-relieving, blood-fat-reducing.
http://libproject.hkbu.edu.hk/was40/detail?channelid=1288&lang=en&record=1&searchword=(alphabet=A)%20And%20parent_latin='Cich orium'&sortfield=%20name_formal_latin_sort

TURQ64
02-06-2012, 08:46 AM
I don't recommend it, but for the 'fin rot', the triple sulfa will also work, just a bit strong... 'Juju root'..Late sixties derrogatory biker reference to cosmic hippie bull$hit founded in a diet of 'brown rice and Juju'....(juju being the 'bs')

edit: I'm assuming this to NOT be a virulent form of Columnaris, or the fish would be dead already from the rhetoric..

nc0gnet0
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
The resident "fish expert"where I buy the meds STRONGLY suggests the melafix

Time to find a new resident fish expert. melafix is good for superficial cuts and scrapes and not much else IMHO.

Rick

Bud
02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
haha,turq dont need hippie advice(no offense to them.. probly how I ended up with MY name )but fish are doing great,just fin deteriation.And I dont understand why,i constantly clean and siphon AND do daily w/cs(100%).Figures???

jimg
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
could be a sign of their health, look for all stressors. you could do a salt dip then trim the soft rays of their fins down to good growth dab a little meth b on the cuts and keep water clean with a little salt (1 tbs per 20+-) for 5-7 days

Bud
02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
man jimg,seems a little invasive!Ive only had discus for 18 months,Ill just hit em with some furan,easier for a newbe!There fins will return to normal right?I was also wondering how many folks on here regulary kept salt in there tanks just for well being(thinkin about it myself).Could 8 4'' discus in a 75gal be to crowded(even with 100% w/cs daily)?I do have a blue colbalt who his extremely agressive to ALL the fish,and come to think of it....the only one WITHOUT FIN PROBLEMS!Is this the stessor you think?

Sean Buehrle
02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
man jimg,seems a little invasive!Ive only had discus for 18 months,Ill just hit em with some furan,easier for a newbe!There fins will return to normal right?I was also wondering how many folks on here regulary kept salt in there tanks just for well being(thinkin about it myself).Could 8 4'' discus in a 75gal be to crowded(even with 100% w/cs daily)?I do have a blue colbalt who his extremely agressive to ALL the fish,and come to think of it....the only one WITHOUT FIN PROBLEMS!Is this the stessor you think?

I think that a aggressive fish can cause what looks like fin rot on another fish.

When my male leopard wants the female to spawn he gets real pushy.
The females fins get frayed and torn a bit and I could see where someone could confuse it with fin rot.

Just something to think about.

Bud
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Well crap,you think it will be a good idea to dose then ?Every-one eats great and acts energetic.This fish is very pushy towards ALL fish in the tank.6 out of 8 fish are showing frayed/split fins.Im gettin ready to move them to a bigger tank,will that help?Should I put in something to spawn on?See what you did Sean :).......just a few more things to think about.But really,thank you guys for input..freakin love this site.

Sean Buehrle
02-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Well crap,you think it will be a good idea to dose then ?Every-one eats great and acts energetic.This fish is very pushy towards ALL fish in the tank.6 out of 8 fish are showing frayed/split fins.Im gettin ready to move them to a bigger tank,will that help?Should I put in something to spawn on?See what you did Sean :).......just a few more things to think about.But really,thank you guys for input..freakin love this site.

Post a picture so these guys can look at it, fin rot looks a lot different than beat up fins.

Bud
02-06-2012, 10:55 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93343-is-this-a-concern......heres the original post, it started on two fish,"spreading"?think I need more pics?

Sean Buehrle
02-06-2012, 11:26 PM
That's really strange looking , the tail doesn't look affected at all.

That does look like a disease caused affliction.

Bud
02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
I know none of there tails are bad.One post asked me if my water was hard?And it is... very.probly dose them though.

TURQ64
02-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Here's my long shot crap shoot..(I never can tell much in those tiny a$$ed photo's)...Flavobacterium, Epistylus, or acute Saprolegniosis..All can lead to this type of symptom.. Group A
Malachite Green
Acriflavin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Group B
Oxytetracycline
Furan 2
Kanamycin

You'll likely need to add one from each group to really rid this..That's in addition to more clean water, and a lot of monitoring..Looks bad..Hard rays don't seem to grow back for me...

Bud
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Alright some professional advice,thanx turq.Can i dose different meds at the same time or one at a time over a two week course?And I see API offers a" fungus cure" for saporlegnia. I dont know ingredients off hand but it says it will discolor water(malachite green?)would this be effective?And I guess Ill get a bunch of boxes of furan2 because of all the water changes.And by the way...THANKS!