PDA

View Full Version : Gold Nugget Pleco: keept it or give up?

DiscusBR
02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I have been reading the forum and the archives about discus and plecos. There are a lot of people who had good experiences and several reports of plecos attaching to discus and stressing them. I have a Gold Nugget Pleco (L-18) in my QT and I really like it. I have to decide very soon if I will add it or not to my 80g tank with wild Cuipeua discus. I know the risks, so I want to ask for feedback from this great community. So please vote in the poll and let me know if you think I should add it to the tank or not. I am particularly interested in knowing if L-18s are more or less prone to create problems compared to other plecos. The poll closes soon, so please let me know what you think. Finally, I should add that I have been searching for Bristlenose plecos here in Rio for almost an year but I have never seen them. And the LFS tell me they are rare.

discus day
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
not sure but from what i herd if the pleco doesnt get too huge (under 8 inch) the chance of it attacking the discus is less

DiscusBR
02-04-2012, 11:52 PM
not sure but from what i herd if the pleco doesnt get too huge (under 8 inch) the chance of it attacking the discus is less

Thanks. The pleco is juvie, around 2 inches long. So it will take a long time to grow that big.

joanstone
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM
It would be pretty easy to get out if you find it causing an issue, I would definitely give a try if it were me.

lipadj46
02-05-2012, 06:23 AM
They get somewhat large and will produce a lot of poop but should be fine. They can get territorial with other plecos in a smaller tank.

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class

lipadj46
02-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Also many plecos grow fast so plan for a near adult size in a year or so.

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class

plecocicho
02-05-2012, 07:01 PM
You can kep them but they need more oxygen in the water tha discus (air stones can provide that) and dotn feed them with any bh product and provide enough green food for them. Gold nuggets aka Baryancistrus xanthellus are aufwuchs omnivors.

DiscusBR
02-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Thank you, all. The poll is closed and the recommendation is to keep the pleco and keep an eye on it. Will do it. And will report any new developments here.