PDA

View Full Version : new fish coming friday

bigjohnson
02-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Got a QT question...new tank cycled (75 gal)...20 gal qt tank cycled now also. I plan on moving the 20 neon tetras and 1 bn pleco i've got in the 75 gal to the 20 gal the night before discus arrive friday so I can put them directly into the tank they will be living in...after 2-4 weeks (and no issues) plan on slowly introducing bn pleco and tetras back to main tank. Is this a sound qt method?

Second Hand Pat
02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Mark, unfountunately you have all ready broken QT with the neon's and pleco in the 75. If they have anything it will already be in the water. How many discus are you getting?

I am guessing more than two so you will have to watch the discus carefully. Please also test your water after the discus arrive as the additional bio-load may cause a mini-cycle. You can control the mini-cycle with large daily WCs.

Pat

bigjohnson
02-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I didn't look at it that way, but makes sense. I've got 7 discus coming from Hans, so they won't all go in the smaller tank! What if I move the fish I have sooner, and change the water a couple of times before the discus arrive?

Mark

Second Hand Pat
02-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Mark, it can not hurt. I strongly suspect you will have a mini-cycle so please be prepared for that.

bigjohnson
02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
thanks pat...i will be watching closely.

mark

bigjohnson
02-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Recieved (7) 4'' fish from Hans today, 2 briliant turquoise, 2 pigeon snakeskins, 3 cobalt. All are healthy, beautiful fish! Soaked the bags (unopenened) for 30 min and plopped them in...stressed me out but not the fish. The phone rang a couple hours later (as I was pacing around the house), it was Hans...calling to see how things were going! Had a good talk with him and thanked him for calling (which helped calm me down considerably)...nice guy, great fish, excellent customer service...he's got a customer for life (as long as I can still do water changes!!!). I'm keeping the lights off, but will post pics tomorrow.