PDA

View Full Version : Substrate Help

Mep1127
02-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Hey all

I have a 55 gal ( possibly getting a bigger one later ) tank and i was wondering what is a good choice of substrate + liquid fertilizers for a planted tank. I'm growing out my discus bare bottom now so it wont be for a while that I will decide to do some aquascaping. But when the time is appropriate i would like to a have a nice planted tank. I dont plan on using CO2. I will have a school of cory cats so the substrate has to be gentle on them. I was thinking what would be the best choice out of

- Eco complete
- black flourite sand
- pool sand ( not a fan due to root tab ferts being a must, but aesthetically it appeals more to me. If a good argument can be struck for pool sand I may just consider)

I also have a t5 HO light and could use help on determine a good bulb for both plant growth and highlighting discus colors.

Orange Crush
02-07-2012, 04:31 AM
Eco complete has edges that are to rough for the barbels of the cories. Best to go with the black flourite sand or PFS. My cories and kuhli loaches love the sand. Just the other day I was wondering how I was going to get all of the flourite and fish out of my 75 gal so I could put PFS down and the plants into terra cotta pots. I suppose having the tank completely crash has made that much easier. :(

In my planted tanks I use one t5 bulb for plants (6500K -6700K) and one that is called Power-glo (18000K) that combo really makes the red in my fish and plants vibrant but, that would be too much light for discus unless you have lots of floating plants.

Mep1127
02-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Eco complete has edges that are to rough for the barbels of the cories. Best to go with the black flourite sand or PFS. My cories and kuhli loaches love the sand. Just the other day I was wondering how I was going to get all of the flourite and fish out of my 75 gal so I could put PFS down and the plants into terra cotta pots. I suppose having the tank completely crash has made that much easier. :(

In my planted tanks I use one t5 bulb for plants (6500K -6700K) and one that is called Power-glo (18000K) that combo really makes the red in my fish and plants vibrant but, that would be too much light for discus unless you have lots of floating plants.

Sorry about your tank...similar thing happened to me years back. Sudden plague killed off everything but one angelfish I had. Lighting is another story , same with plants. But in your opinion what would you choose? the black sand or pool sand?

pcsb23
02-07-2012, 04:49 AM
I hardly think putting root tabs once every 3 or 4 months is a big deal so I'd go with pool filter sand. Personally, I'd avoid any dark coloured substrates.

You may have to use some form of carbon if you are using T5 HO lamps, as a rough rule of thumb, the higher the light output, the more carbon you need (as well as other ferts). Any mid white balanced lamps will do, the warmer the colour temp, the redder your fish will look, I no longer buy aquarium specific lamps as they are too expensive and no different to those I get from an electrical suppliers. The plants won't really care one way or the other, as long as they have light. Photo period start at 8 hours and work from there.

Mep1127
02-07-2012, 05:26 AM
I hardly think putting root tabs once every 3 or 4 months is a big deal so I'd go with pool filter sand. Personally, I'd avoid any dark coloured substrates.

You may have to use some form of carbon if you are using T5 HO lamps, as a rough rule of thumb, the higher the light output, the more carbon you need (as well as other ferts). Any mid white balanced lamps will do, the warmer the colour temp, the redder your fish will look, I no longer buy aquarium specific lamps as they are too expensive and no different to those I get from an electrical suppliers. The plants won't really care one way or the other, as long as they have light. Photo period start at 8 hours and work from there.

Eh, i suppose root tabbing isn't such a big deal...but perhaps to mitigate that i can use a base of flourite or eco complete and cover the rest with pool sand. Just so the plants have a nutrient base. Just with the root tabbing being a slight gripe is because I'd rather just set and forget. Tabbing each plant every few months is slightly annoying ( yes, kinda lazy :D )

Orange Crush
02-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Eh, i suppose root tabbing isn't such a big deal...but perhaps to mitigate that i can use a base of flourite or eco complete and cover the rest with pool sand. Just so the plants have a nutrient base. Just with the root tabbing being a slight gripe is because I'd rather just set and forget. Tabbing each plant every few months is slightly annoying ( yes, kinda lazy :D )

The sand will seep down between the flourite/eco comp. and look a mess. Just use PFS and root tabs, it is hardly any work at all. Or you could get plants like java ferns and anubas that attatch to wood. Then you could use liquid ferts and not have to use root tabs. Just make sure to use a thin layer of sand and stir it regularly so you do not end up with deadly anerobic patches in the sand.

Orange Crush
02-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Why use the carbon? I thought that it lead to the potential for HITH disease in discus, gouramis etc. I have not used it for years except in my hospital tank when I wanted to remove any traces of meds.

pcsb23
02-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Why use the carbon? I thought that it lead to the potential for HITH disease in discus, gouramis etc. I have not used it for years except in my hospital tank when I wanted to remove any traces of meds.I'm not talking about activated carbon, I am talking about a source of carbon for the plants to use as a macro fert, typically this is provided from CO2 but as the OP has stated they do not plan on using CO2 then an alternate source may need to be provided such as flourish excel or easy carbo ...

The debate about AC causing HITH is another topic alltogether ;)

Orange Crush
02-07-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm not talking about activated carbon, I am talking about a source of carbon for the plants to use as a macro fert, typically this is provided from CO2 but as the OP has stated they do not plan on using CO2 then an alternate source may need to be provided such as flourish excel or easy carbo ...

The debate about AC causing HITH is another topic alltogether ;)

Oh duh. I feel silly now. I should have realized that you were talking about the plant nutrient C not carbon filtration. It has been a very long sad day for me.