PDA

View Full Version : How Many Discus?

JCFans
02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here and have been enjoying this forum quite a lot! Just absorbing all the discus information like a sponge.

I've only had experience with keeping 2 discus before and had to give them away as I went on a super long vacation. Gonna start up again and now and the tank is ready to go- just needs to add the discus. I would like to keep more discus now (a maximum of 4). Do you have any recommendations whether to get 3 or 4? I have had conflicting opinions that neither will not work.

Please let me know. Thank you!

pcsb23
02-07-2012, 01:44 PM
...I have had conflicting opinions that neither will not work. ...ime/o neither 3 nor 4 are a good number. Sooner or later one or two will want to be the dominant animal, the weakest will be bullied to death, then the next weakest and so on.

Either get a matched pair or get 6 or more. If neither is an option then probably best to get none, sorry of that sounds harsh, it is not meant to be.

JCFans
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi Paul,

Truly appreciate your input! I have no problem with keeping a pair- that's what I've traditionally done in the past like I mentioned before. Any other opinions from other people out here?

I welcome harsh opinions. Like I usually say, it's not the content of the message, it's how you deliver them ;).

Larry Bugg
02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Well the first question is what size tank do you have? That will determine a lot. I agree with Paul if the tank is big enough you need to keep at least 6. Discus are a social fish and need to be in a group. These social groups have a pecking order and too few in the tank and the aggression may end up with one of your discus on the very short end of the stick. If the tank is not large enough then the answer would be 0, unless it is a pair and in this case pair mean mated pair, not pair as in two, otherwise aggression may come into play again.

owlay
02-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Thank you very much for this information! I'm glad that my aquarium tank is quite big and I will try to get 6 discus for the beginning, like you've recommended. I don't want aggressive and unhappy discus! :( I knew that they are social fishes and that it wouldn't be a good idea just to buy one :)

RudeDogg1
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
ime/o neither 3 nor 4 are a good number. Sooner or later one or two will want to be the dominant animal, the weakest will be bullied to death, then the next weakest and so on.

Either get a matched pair or get 6 or more. If neither is an option then probably best to get none, sorry of that sounds harsh, it is not meant to be.

So true i had 6 then i sold 2 i wasnt happy with due to the bad weather mje hasnt been able to send my 2 replacements yet. And my big male alenquer is taking a beating from my bossy female scribelt. 6 is the magic number or more they are schooling fish remember

walt3
02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
i had 6 one passed and now the 5 are doing very well. they have established the order and all is peaceful. been about 8 months so far.