PDA

View Full Version : When do you know when new tank water is ready for your discus?

Splash156
02-07-2012, 03:46 PM

New tank new RO water and about 10 gallons of water out of the discus tank?
It's been up and running with sponge filter 2 tetras and driftwwod for 4 days..
All the water parameters are in place! No paint yet but I will get that done today..

Thnaks

Sean Buehrle
02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
That's a nice looking tank.

Search cycling filters and read up.

Best option would be to get a cycled filter from your discus supplier.

Splash156
02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
http://youtu.be/VZKJFsAs2r0

Thanks,
Where I live the Discus fish are special order only none of our pet shops stock them..
Ill do more reading on it but if people do 50% water changes a day it would seem to be all fresh water in the tank?
I don't know I new new to keeping Discus!!

Thanks

Sean Buehrle
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Well I'm a firm believer that a 50 % water change only removes half the waste :)

But I do think you can keep good water quality if you do a couple 90 percent changes a week just to stay on top of everything, along with the 50% changes.

Unless your really on top of things (water changes) I suggest you cycle your tank first, without fish.

Discus drop dead easily when exposed to ammonia and nitrite. They aren't forgiving like an Oscar or other hardy type fish.

Search fishless cycle and read up then post back.

ExReefer
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Spend the next month browsing this forum while your tank cycles and you will be happy you didn't rush things. I'm trying to save you from making your next post in the disease/sickness section.

Splash156
02-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks!!
There is an overload of info in this fourm. I'm in no hurry to kill my investment so I will wait another 2 weeks or more before I move them. The more I keep reading the more I want. I'm going sat. to pick up 6 29gal drilled tanks.

Thanks for all the info!
Jeremy

gerrard00
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Spend the next month browsing this forum while your tank cycles and you will be happy you didn't rush things. I'm trying to save you from making your next post in the disease/sickness section.

So true!