PDA

View Full Version : Need some Aquascaping ideas of my 95 Gal Wave

DiscusLoverJeff
02-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Hello friends,

I am in need of a change in my 95 gallon wave discus tank. I currently have 9 - 6"+ discus, some albino cories and 5 golden rams. My tank has pressurized co2, Eco-Complete established substrate. T5 - 4 bulbs light (only running 2 bulbs currently). Temp is avg 84, ph 6.0, tds 120/140 range.

I have some Val's, and small swords but I am looking for some ideas on front cover, mid range, and back of tank plants. Since my discus have paired off, I have been looking for a few wide leaf plants for them to lay eggs on besides swords. It would be nice to get some color in the tank other than just green.

Thanks for the advice.

Jeff

Second Hand Pat
02-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Jeff, a picture of the tank would help with suggests also do you have any wood in the tank. If not adding some wood could be a first step.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes I have a few pieces of Mopani wood, I also have a couple pieces of Manzanita. I will say that the plants are few as I sold some off to a friend who was starting a 150 gal tank. So basically consider it bare bones. The idea of the wave was a good thought as one side is only 14" width and the other is 26", but scaping is hard as I want to bring out more colorful plants from back to front.

Here is a close resemblance of what it looks like now that I removed a lot of the plants.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89809-New-Beginnings&highlight=

I hope to get some pics up tonight.

Second Hand Pat
02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
So you are looking more for plant advice and suggests for including them into your current decor? Are you wanting to stick with south american plants.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes I would like to have that South American feel into the tank. The good think about the 'wave" tank is it has good depth of 26".

Second Hand Pat
02-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Jeff, back when I was researching getting into discus and plants, I found this website http://www.aquariumplants.com/ which has a decent way of grouping plants into some of the groups you are interested in. There is even a warm temp/discus group. You may find this as a way to do some research.

DerekFF
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Some rotala species give good red/purples with CO2(rotala yao yao,mini). Melon/red rubin swords have nice reds and are a little slower growing. Barclaya red is an awesome plant for intense red. Crypts in bronze or reds are great for midground cover. Uhmmmm........color color......ludwigia sp red/japan are nice reds/maroons. Erio sp are great little spikes for the foreground although mostly green. There is one called "blood vomit" that has some red tints to it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DiscusLoverJeff
02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Thank you Pat and Derek for the information. I will research this as I like the ideas of some reds and purple to blend with the greens.

Jeff

decoy50
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Anubias Frazeri is a good broad leafed plant. I've only had mine for about a month now but they are proving impossible to kill. They are slow growers though, so you might want to look for a large one to support discus eggs.

MKD
02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
i would put marsilea minuta (dwarf clover) for ground cover and some coffee leaf anubias for background and large leaf for discus egg. Good luck with your project and have fun.

can't wait to see more pics.

DerekFF
02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
i would put marsilea minuta (dwarf clover) for ground cover and some coffee leaf anubias for background and large leaf for discus egg. Good luck with your project and have fun.

can't wait to see more pics.

Marsilea minueta is nice. I've got it as cover in my 75g. Fyi it loves root tabs and low light. I guess I didn't answer the question about large leaf plants lol. Got so zoned in on color!!!! Love the reds and purples!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

walt3
02-08-2012, 09:05 PM
one look i have recentlt seen that i find very pleasing is to have a higher area to the left or right depending on your viewing pleasure and build it up with wood and dense plantings then fade out to a larger oper area in the rest of the tank. maybe 1/3 wood and plants and a open 2/3 sandy open water look. just an idea.

Bill63SG
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Jeff,when I move over my 150 to the 180,I will be thinning out tons of "red crypts".Look them up.If you like I could mail you some,tho I'm not sure how'd they'd fair in the winter.72253They are more to the fore-front.Been meaning to thin,with the move,going to re-plant more minimal.