PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Discus advice

Kinger
02-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the site but am very eager to start a discus tank! I've been keeping fish for about 2 years and have had a small 20 Gal community tank and later upgraded to a 75 African Cichlid tank. I now have a fairly heavily planted 75Gal tank with a few rummynose tetras and Siamese Algae eaters (past BB algea problems) and am now ready to get serious about buying discus.

I am not to sure about the ideal requirements for Discus. I know they need warmer temperatures and lower pH's but Im not quite sure if there is a set number that works well. I am also curious as to what routines people have to ensure their discus remain happy and healthy. Also, how many discus would could a 75G hold and does it matter what types I stock my tank with?

If there is anything you could tell me or suggest I do that would be incredibly helpful. :)

-Mac

yim11
02-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Welcome to the forum Mac!

I'll give you some quick personal opinions and I'm sure the great folks on the forum will supply you with a lot more info and details!

Discus do need warmer temps, 82+, don't worry about pH unless you plan to keep wilds, don't shoot for a specific number, shoot for a steady number. Discus love lots of clean warm water - as much as you can give them, as often as you can give them. If you plan to keep them in a planted tank you should consider starting with larger fish (5"+).

HTHs,
-jim

Orange Crush
02-09-2012, 03:46 AM
6 discus would be the ideal # to keep in a 75 G if you already have smaller fish in there. Less than 6 can result in aggression issues - they are cichlids after all!

CajunAg
02-09-2012, 03:55 AM
My best piece of advice is however much time and effort you put into making the tank perfect, put the same amount into how you are going to change the water :)

discuspaul
02-09-2012, 06:00 PM
The only suggestion I have for you at this point, is that you do all the research you can on discus-keeping before you get started with your set-up. Pretty well everything you need to know is contained right here in the section - check out all the Stickies.

Just one other comment for when you are ready to launch, is to keep a close eye on your SAE tankmates for the discus. Many discus people do successfully keep SAE's with discus without incident, but on occasion, particularly as they age, get fatter & lazier, some SAE's may at times take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet.
Generally, discus have no problem shedding them off their bodies, but it can't help but stress the discus anyway.
Best of luck to you.

NWA-Discus
02-10-2012, 12:39 AM
So just doing some reading through some of the stickies, and people seem to highly recommend not growing out discus in a planted tank... Didn't see a lot of reasons ad to why. is there a sticky I missed that goes into a little more detail?

CajunAg
02-10-2012, 01:36 AM
I don't have a planted tank, but my guess is the amount and frequency of water changes juveniles need isn't the best for plant growth. It's been done, for sure, but the overwhelming majority use bare tanks to grow out their fish, and leave the adults to the planted show tanks.

Orange Crush
02-10-2012, 04:18 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93624-My-Planted-Tank-Experience

NWA-Discus
02-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Yea read that article, and saw that many people have had problems with it. didn't really hit a lot of detail as to why... More reading I suppose

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

judy
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't have a planted tank, but my guess is the amount and frequency of water changes juveniles need isn't the best for plant growth. It's been done, for sure, but the overwhelming majority use bare tanks to grow out their fish, and leave the adults to the planted show tanks.
Your guess is correct. Growing out juvies requires at least six feedings daily, a huge number of WCs (up to twice daily) that are at least %50, and if you have a planted tank, vacuuming the substrate thoroughly about 3x daily.
Do more reading.

MOdiscus
02-12-2012, 11:59 AM
So just doing some reading through some of the stickies, and people seem to highly recommend not growing out discus in a planted tank... Didn't see a lot of reasons ad to why. is there a sticky I missed that goes into a little more detail?

Just like with young humans, Juvies are more susceptable to poisoning- particularly ammonia. It has a lot to do with their biochemistry- the bottom line is, a level of ammonia that an adult discus could tolerate easily will kill a juvie. For this reason, it's hard to keep Juvies in much besides a bare-bottom tank (bare bottom= easy to find leftover food and waste, nothing traps waste, etc.). Adults are more tolerant of the toxins in the water, so if you make a mistake or something, you won't wipe out all your fish (assuming it's a small mistake, haha). They are more expensive to start with, but if you don't kill them, it's worth it. I am planning a planted tank at the moment, but I will be putting adults in it!
Gl, and welcome to the forums!:D

discus day
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
i just want to add that adults are more expensive at first but the cst to grow out juvies far exceeds thecost of adults. think of it as buying a car. if you pay in cash it ends up being cheaper than if you do monthly payments due to interests =p

shoveltrash
02-12-2012, 12:57 PM
advice? buy from a Simply Discus sponsor!!!!
starting off with quality Discus is important.

and READ READ READ here :D.
I started on my 'Discus journey' prior to finding this forum - I could've saved myself a lot of heartache had I researched thoroughly first! hindsight you know........

walt3
02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
never stop reading. lol. :) i have 5 adults in my 75 gallon and it seems plenty full. i dont like the crowded look plus i have numerous tetras in there. 6 would be the upper limit for me. each his own though i guess. some love to pack them in there. not i. do a nice size water change daily and it will make your fish alot happier. have fun.

Bud Smith
02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Mac
You have recieved some very good advice and once you understand what discus need the main thing I can suggest is be consistent with temp, water changes and feedings.
My formula - knowledge x time x equipment x procedures = success in keeping discus
Purchase strong healthy discus (their are several excellent sellers of discus on this forum) - purchase the largest discus you can afford - it will give you a better chance of success starting out
Welcome and good luck

Kinger
02-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the tip everyone! :)

I have another question... About substrate, Ive been reading alot on the best substrate for planted tanks. It seems a "dirted" tank is trending, however, flourite seems to be popular as well. Anyone have a preference of Dirt vs Flourite? I like to try to make my tank look perfect and end up moving plants sometimes and am not sure if either would be a factor in that.

I would be doing either a 50/50 flourite or Dirt mix with sand on top. Anyone know the best choice?

Skip
02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Hey everyone!

I am not to sure about the ideal requirements for Discus. I know they need warmer temperatures and lower pH's but Im not quite sure if there is a set number that works well. I am also curious as to what routines people have to ensure their discus remain happy and healthy. Also, how many discus would could a 75G hold and does it matter what types I stock my tank with?

If there is anything you could tell me or suggest I do that would be incredibly helpful. :)

-Mac

Mac .. welcome..

i got into discus.. the day i found out.. i could use tap water. for years i thought i needed RO water/low ph...

but SIMPLY taught me.. tap was just fine..

what discus will want is CONSISTENCY in water quality/chemistry..

if you want to go planted in the 75g.. get the largest fish you can afford..

adults will cost more BUT they will be able to be more forgiving of owner mistakes..

6-7 adults would be good in that tank..

domestics would be good way to start..

but you would need to QT your fish PRIOR to putting them in to that established tank.. would you have the ability to do that.. adding new fish to and established tank could cause problems with cross contamination.. between two sets of fish..

so keeping them separated at first would be a wise choice..