PDA

View Full Version : plants and ro waste water

aztecdiscus
02-09-2012, 03:04 AM
I been thinkinhg about using ro waste water to grow plants, age it and use it like regular tap water but need some advice ,,,, wt.are the pros and cons...

pcsb23
02-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Just plants and no fish?

joanstone
02-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Do you mean for watering your houseplants?

pcsb23
02-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Do you mean for watering your houseplants?It's excellent for that, and for watering the garden :) wonder if that is what the OP means :confused:

TURQ64
02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
no neede to age it, as it has already been through the pre filters..........We use it for gardening, laundry, and a host of other things.

aztecdiscus
02-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Na I mean aquarium plants like a grow out aquarium for plants... Maybe some otos fish so they keep everything clean

pcsb23
02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Na I mean aquarium plants like a grow out aquarium for plants... Maybe some otos fish so they keep everything cleanI personally wouldn't put otos in such hard water but they will adapt ok.

In theory it should work, but a lot will depend on types of plants as well as the nutrient balance, it is likely to be high in PO4 and NO3 for example, yet some other elements may be missing as they will be adsorbed by the AC and/or other adsorptive media sometimes used in RO systems. Some plants don't do well in hard water but many do fine. I've never tried it but if you do I'd be interested in the results.

aztecdiscus
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I have set up a 37 gallon wit some of the same water that I have.in my 180g and ima put some plants in there and add ro waste water when water change comes ,, since there be no fish in there wt percentage of water should be good for a wc, also would it be beter to alternate between aged water and waste water to keep hardness balanced and not to hard?

pcsb23
02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I have set up a 37 gallon wit some of the same water that I have.in my 180g and ima put some plants in there and add ro waste water when water change comes ,, since there be no fish in there wt percentage of water should be good for a wc, also would it be beter to alternate between aged water and waste water to keep hardness balanced and not to hard?With a plant only tank, assuming no additional ferts etc are being added then weekly w/c of 50% is more than enough.

As for using just ro waste or not, not really sure tbh, your call I guess. :o