PDA

View Full Version : shy discus

hhk12
02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I have a 125g planted tank. I have 7 discus who are very shy and do not come up to the glass but to eat. What should i do to get them to come up to the glass more.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Pictures might help people to see if there are any problems. Also, what type of lighting, water parameters, etc.....?

deepflyball
02-09-2012, 11:37 PM
PLANTED TANK??? WHAT COLOR IS YOUR BACKGROUND???? SIZE OF FISH???? jERRY

GulfCoastDiscus
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
How long have you had them? What kind are they? If every thing in the tank is correct includeing the Discus, Try sitting in front of the tank for about 1/2 hour during feeding times so they get use to you and the movement in the room. What other type of fish do you have in there with them? There are a lot of questions to be asked But Pics help. Temp of water.Water quality etc. Please give more details

hhk12
02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I have 7 discus 2 colbalte 2 red pigions 1 green turquoise 1 f-2 1 pigeon blood. I keep the water at a steady 85 degrees. I have not changed the lighting from when i got the tank. Should i? They have been in the tank for about 2-3 weeks. They are all 2.5-3in.

jerman
02-17-2012, 12:21 AM
This is the issue with planted tanks. The discus have places to hide, and so they hide. I love my planted discus tank, but have come to accept some realities that my discus won't grow huge and will hide often. They still lay eggs though. Frequent water changes seems to help and bring them out more, and frequent feeding and simultaneously making my presence known seems to get them used to coming out more. Also try trimming your plants back so there is more free open space in the tank and the plants are just against the back wall. I also made a favorite hiding patch so thick with plants that they cant get in there any more. Just sharing what's worked for me.