PDA

View Full Version : Slight hiccup in my plans...

NWA-Discus
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
My current tank is a established heavily planted 125 gallon, large swords, bushy stems, and currently a growing carpet of microsword. I will try and get an updated photo. Knowing that I would eventually want to keep discus everything has been set up and is ready for them, including 800 watts of heating elements keeping the tank at a nice 84 degrees located in my sump tank which is cycling 900-1000 GPH and has around half a cubic yard of lava rocks, some ceramic rings and luffas for bio filtration, 500ml of purigen and some filter floss for the mechanical.

Hopefully without sounding arrogant and cocky I am very confident with with my water quality. I also do one large water change a week up to around 75% and I used black diamond as substrate so all the poo and etc sits on top and is easily siphoned out during the water change. I accepted the fact that I will most likely be adding in a mid week water change/substrate vaccing of around 30%

Also with evaportation I am adding around 2 gallons of fresh water everyday!

stocking is as follows..

20-25 cardinals (may have lost a few cant get them to hold still to count) lol
7 long fin serpae
10 albino cories
1 bn plecco
few otos about
substrate loaded with malaysian trumpte snails

originally I was looking at getting smaller discuss around the 2.5" and growing them out in this tank. The more I read the more this sounds like a bad idea? I understand water quality is important, but I also know that I will not be changing 50%+ water every day or every other day for that matter on a 125 gallon tank, I have a wife and 3 young kids... just not happening. Hense the reason for the borderline overkill sump filter setup.

I am confident I can keep discuss in this tank... but not so confident now on potentially trying to grow them out in this tank. Looking for a little advice, I want to keep discus, but I want them to be healthy too!!

NWA-Discus
02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
*bump

any comments, possible suggestions?

judy
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Do not buy juvies. You would need a daily WC in that tank of at least 50%, more like 75% to do it right growing them out. Bite the cash bullet and buy adults.

discus day
02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
By adults when its all said and done the money and time spent on juvies will outweight the cost of adults

chaoslite
02-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Buy Adults.

Mishka

JenTN
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Come to my house & watch my juvies for a day..they eat 6-8 times a day, when they eat they grind up the food & promptly spit about 90% back out..repeat til they are full..x10. Poo like mad. Loove brine shrimp at 3 p.m., may snub their little beaks up at it at 6 p.m. with a big mess left. Lol

NWA-Discus
02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok then, answers my questions!! lol

Still being fairly new to the discus... what qualifies as an adult? Size wise

discus day
02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
4-5"+

NWA-Discus
02-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Thank you all!

Flygirl
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Just a thought... but with all that lava rock in your sump, have you checked what effect it's having on your GH? Or is lava rock inert?

gerrard00
02-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Come to my house & watch my juvies for a day..they eat 6-8 times a day, when they eat they grind up the food & promptly spit about 90% back out..repeat til they are full..x10. Poo like mad. Loove brine shrimp at 3 p.m., may snub their little beaks up at it at 6 p.m. with a big mess left. Lol

+1