PDA

View Full Version : Something wicked going on - A breeder's trials

NanDiscus
02-11-2012, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine -a dedicated and so far quite successful discus hobbyist- phoned me this morning and told the following story...

(A little background story first. My friend has a mid-sized hatchery with 6 breeding cubes of the bigger size, bare bottom, around 75 gals each with built-in chamber filters, all identical in every tank filled with filter wool, sponge cubes and ribbed plastic rings. Identical water paramers in every tank, identical w/c regime with water from his 1000gal reservoir, one pair in each cube. The hatchery has been running like this for over a year now, putting out thousands of marketable size babies, all healthy and growing like mould in a winecellar.
There are a few mid-sized grow-out tanks, another rack with 12x55 gallons in the front room (a part of Hans's old racks from the Dutch era) and a 125 gal community tank for resting pairs. The set-up has been keeping my friend busy and happy until the very recent times.)

The events of these very recent times he explained to me as follows.:
Imagine you have 4 tanks, let's call them A, B, C, and D. Each tank has a pair of experienced and very successful breeders, all big and fat and happy, and all on a spawning cycle again, laying eggs every 7-10 days. The last few times they laid eggs roughly at the same time, with no more than maybe a day or two between the first and last bunch of eggs. Here's what happened.:

Tank A: None of the eggs hatched, they all when opaque white after 24 hrs, no fungus to be seen at all.

Tank B: None of the eggs hatched either, but the entire lot looks like a furry animal, all covered in fungus.

Tank C: A few eggs hatched successfully, but the hatch rate is was still well under 10%. The unhatched eggs were fungussed.

Tank D: With the exception of a few eggs, all of them hatched, the rate was well over 95%, the unhatched eggs went white, but with no fungus visible.

One of the pairs in one of the cubes and a new pair in the orgy tank both laid eggs a few days ago on breeding cones. The cones were removed from the tanks and placed in a completely empty and fresh 25gal tank filled with water from the reservoir, with nothing but an airstone and a heater in it. The wait began and the results were surprising to say the least. Both batches of eggs hatched at a very high rate, close to 99%, the unhatched ones went white, but that's it. The wigglers look fine, my friend does 20% w/c's every day and it's roughly a day before they all go free-swimming.

The questions are:

-Why on earth is he experiencing so very different and random hatching rates in the breeding tanks with totally random appearances of egg fungus alongside?
-Why is it that the eggs don't hatch in the breeding tanks, but hatch very well in 'raw' water?
-What may be in the filters that can inhibit the development of the fertilised eggs?
-What other things do you all think he should be looking for that should be eliminated from the tanks?

The general water conditions are ~50ppm, pH between 6.5-6.8, NO2:0, NO3: under 20ppm constantly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Nandi

nc0gnet0
02-11-2012, 03:04 PM
One of the pairs in one of the cubes and a new pair in the orgy tank both laid eggs a few days ago on breeding cones. The cones were removed from the tanks and placed in a completely empty and fresh 25gal tank filled with water from the reservoir, with nothing but an airstone and a heater in it. The wait began and the results were surprising to say the least. Both batches of eggs hatched at a very high rate, close to 99%, the unhatched ones went white, but that's it.

First of all to clear up a few possibilities, I take it that the "orgy" tank as you refer to is the community tank?
Second, from which breeding cube (a,b,c,d) did your friend remove the eggs from? if he removed them from tank "D" it's rather insignificant. If he removed them from A, B, or C it points to water quality issues in the breeding tank.

Rick

NanDiscus
02-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi Rick,

The orgy tank is the community tank.
The second cone came from tank "B".

We are also absolutely sure that it's all down to something water related, but what? That's the question.
We do have a theory, still not confirmed. My friend says, that after a few months of all things running smoothly in the hatchery, the numbers of deformed fry started to creep up and on occasions 50-60% of the fry had to be culled. Then came this issue with the eggs not hatching. The idea is that the filters are getting too old and although the water chemistry looks fine, the biology suffers and there must be some sort of flesh (protein) eating bacteria that in smallers number only affected the fry, but as the numbers have built up, they destroyed the eggs too.

Whatever it is, a big filter clean-up is next and quite possibly a lesson learned will follow.
Basically, what it all boils down to to me is that it takes a LONG while for a newly designed and built set-up to show its real face in operation and it takes about the same lenght of time to figure out what sort of maintenance and daily routine is required to keep things on the right track.

Nandi

Chicago Discus
02-11-2012, 04:10 PM
you know rick I thought about this a lot and I have had the same problems lately with some of my breeder tanks with the fungus and low hatch rate. I would really be interested in knowing more about this experiment. my water quality is pretty good, but yet I still get heavy fungus growth on my eggs, when they spawn I stop water changes until they start wiggling maybe I should do a large water change after spawning. Just a thought......Josie

nc0gnet0
02-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I am not so sure that what we see as "fungus" on eggs is actually a fungi. Maybe a bacterial growth? Or, if bacteria attacks first and the fungus is secondary, although to us it looks like the problem?

I myself have been having a related problem, although a bit different. I can get great hatch rates with very little white eggs, but my fry all drop like flies the day they go free swimming (they look healthy up tp that point). And they are not being eaten. I have been experimenting with a few different things and should have a fresh batch of eggs today or tomorrow.

mmorris
02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Rather than compare the different pairs' hatches, it might be useful to compare how the pairs were doing previously to now. He had a maximum of six pairs and they produced thousands of marketable fry in one year? Was it the same pairs? Were these pairs ever successful? If so, did the three pairs stop producing successfully at the same time? What do you know about the history of each pair?

NanDiscus
02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
All the pairs have been in the hatchery for well over a year, all of them have been successful breeders. The issue is not fertility related we are almost sure. The majority of them are Piwo's fish, the others have been bred and raised by my friend.
There are considerably more pairs, only six in cubes at a time. The four cubes in mention are alongside each other, the other two are on another rack on the opposite wall. This is all we know at the moment.

Nandi

TURQ64
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Try shutting down the air filtration on spawning days...might be altering fertility; just a guess, other than already mentioned wc differences..

nc0gnet0
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Nandi,

It would be intersting to see what would happen if you moved either pair A, B, or C into pair "D's" cube. If they were then succesfull it would point to a water quality issue, and my first guess would be in the filter bed itself. I would then break down the cube, bleach everythinig and recycle to filter.

Rick