PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation...

ExReefer
02-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I recently combined all nine of my discus in my 125G and the group is more skittish than I'd like to see. I suppose I broke up the existing group dynamics. I've been patient and left the tank "as is" for while. Until yesterday, the tank was empty will just a 1/4" of pool filter sand on the bottom. The fish would eat, but not aggressively and they would often huddle in the corner. It was clear they were not comfortable, but healthy enough to eat so I wasn't concerned about sickness.

Yesterday, I added a tall piece of Mopani wood as a center piece. It's shaped like a the letter "V", so I turned it upside down so the fish could swim through it.

Let me just tell what a difference one piece of structure made to the group. Unbelievable difference within 15-20 mins. of adding this piece of wood. Swimming all over the tank, up and down the front of the glass, it's crazy. Last night 7 of the 9 were eating FDBW's from the surface. Something they were too scared to do before.

I believe it takes just one or two fish from the group to feel shy and the rest of the group will react by being less bold. I think my tank location has a lot to do with it. It's a display tank with a decent amount of traffic. When I had some of these fish in QT's, in my fish room, they were bold. It's likely the group would have eventually become comfortable without the wood, but I was getting impatient and adding a simple piece of structure turned out to be a easy solution. It looks cool too!

I'm going to snap some photos tonight and post them. The Red Cover X's have some excellent color. I think they are going to develop into some amazing discus.

Glenn36
02-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I think I`m having similar problems with my discus, 1 or 2 more shy and this holding the rest back. Good observation! I often considered adding a tall piece of driftwood but was hesitant. Not now, I think i`ll try it also. I`d like to see your tank pics.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
I had a similar instance with my F1's as they were very shy. After adding a piece of wood and some PFS , they come out all the time now and are not scared when I walk up to the tank. Go figure.

ExReefer
02-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Bright lighting can also make some of them shy. I cut back my lighting intensity, but still saw them acting skittish. Sometimes just cutting back lighting works, but it didn't for me. The tall structure makes them feel secure for whatever reason. Like I said, with more time, they may have come around, but I think with the foot traffic around the outside of the tank, they like having an area that they can flee to if needed. In a fish room with minimal foot traffic, I think a tank with no structure/decor would work fine.

Mep1127
02-11-2012, 01:30 PM
interesting, I never would have guessed that from your observation they feel safer with big pieces of driftwood. I know my discus feel more comfort as soon as I turn the lights off, but reading this...il go and put that big piece of driftwood I was saving

ExReefer
02-11-2012, 06:06 PM
It's pretty boring and basic, but the fish like it. I'm not crazy about mixing the two types of wood, but I had thin pieces anyway so I figured I'd use them for now. I may get a bunch of branch wood at some point and remove the Mopani piece. It's a natural looking tank, excluding the man made discus. At least the red cover X's appear somewhat "wild" looking :p.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/2-11-12%20Group%20Shots/DSC_0097.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/2-11-12%20Group%20Shots/DSC_0098.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/2-11-12%20Group%20Shots/DSC_0081.jpg

shoveltrash
02-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I just had the same experience - but with a couple of silk plants (swords). my discus have been skittish @ WCs, &afterwards. after adding the plants, their behavior has been noticably more settled. your tank/fish are lovely!

discus day
02-11-2012, 08:03 PM
i agree VERY nice looking group you got.

my experience however were the opposite lol the more wood i have in the tank for them to hide the more skittish they were lol ever since i empty the tank from all decoration all they do is hang by the glass and begs for food

Bill63SG
02-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I've been pretty lucky also with my bb's.I was working on a theory that my lower tanks made them skittish,but my BD's proved me wrong.Beautiful fish.