PDA

View Full Version : injured and whirling

Jennie
02-11-2012, 01:21 PM
have a discus who was injured on some driftwood amidst a breeding rights argument..hit it hard..have moved her to qt and added furan 2, but since the injury, she is whirling frantically at the top of the tank and continues to do so in QT, occasionally calming down, then whirling again..the injury is to the front of her head. what to do next? advice please. this happened yesterday and continues

Second Hand Pat
02-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Damn Jennie, sounds like a brain injury. Not sure what you can do here. Sorry

Jennie
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
crap..my last remaining scorp female too...

TNT77
02-11-2012, 03:08 PM
DMSO and a steroid based-(preferable) anti inflammatory (not sure what to use for that on fish though sorry maybe someone else has an idea for that). Have to make sure the water is pristine whith no other drugs or chemicals in it as the dmso will transfer everything into the system.

Maria Ashton
02-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Is there anything you can add to the water to semi sedate the fish? Out here there is a product called Easylife pro filter fluid which does just that and it purifies water and lots of other things, one of the claims is promotes healing. There is a US website: http://www.easylife.nl/us/freshwater-products/water-treatment/easy-life-fluid-filter-medium/dosage-use

Maybe Tetra does something similar or ask at your local LFS store

Good luck

pcsb23
02-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Perhaps Tara's suggestion would work, but other than that covering the tank completely and keeping the temp lowish (80f 27C max) not really much else. If it is going to pull through it will do so in a couple of days, but ime it is a big "if", sorry.

Jennie
02-12-2012, 09:16 AM
yeah, Paul..last night she was laying on her side at the bottom, and this morning she was gone. :(

Brokenrack
02-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry for you!
Scott

Disgirl
02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Sorry Jennie, but at least she didn't suffer long. I think most of us long time fish keepers have had experiences like this. I have a discus who has stopped eating for the second time, no symptoms though, she did this two years ago and went without food for 4 months! Started eating one day and did fine until now she has started it again.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry Jennie :(

nc0gnet0
02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Jennie,

Sorry for your loss. These types of losses are the hardest to take, and unfortunatly there is not much you can do other than wait and hope.

Rick

Jennie
02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
this is where I wish there was a Colorado breeder breeding scorps..other than myself. she was my last one.

Melissa
02-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Aww Jennie!!

:(

Sorry you lost her.

Orange Crush
02-13-2012, 08:33 AM
So sorry for your loss. :(

Jennie
02-13-2012, 09:44 AM
well I ordered 2 more from Kenny..so...they will be here tomorrow. I wasn't going to because I will be moving sometime later this year and thought, how the heck do I keep them?? Thanks to Pat, I can ship them to her for safe keeping till I get set up(hopefully they survive shipping) and my cost of appreciation?? 2 beautiful blue faced heckels, one male..one female..also to be shipped to her(hopefully they survive shipping) lol..I'm sure she can get them to breed in her tanks better than I can in mine! :) I was just gonna get a dang pet goldfish when I moved but these discus are super addicting!

Second Hand Pat
02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Great news Jennie, and you will be shipping a couple of sponges with them so you will have something to kick start your tank once down here. :)

Jennie
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM
oh ya! dang! almost forgot!!!

obsessed
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Well i searched whirling and what comes up first!. that whirling is exactly what mine have done, without the injury, the last few days....before they croaked... Jenny and I live in the same town, same water..... hmmm, now i AM suspicious!